Pre workout meal

vette00

vette00

Awards
I take 2 cups of whey protein, but i have heard that u dont need that before u workout.Is thgat true?

I workout in the am and eat for breakfast 2 cups of oatmeal and 10 egg whites. About 2-3 hrs later i go and workout. Should skip the protein shake before i workout and replace it with something else?

CRcatcher06

Awards
The protein shake appears to be almost a waste at this point IMO. Since you rarely use protein as a source of energy during your workout, the 10 egg whites should suffice for your intake of protein pre-workout. If anything is needed before your workout i would suggest simple carbs. You will burn your carbs first during workout so a little excess before a workout will be beneficial. Personally i like a handful of almonds before my morning workouts, decent amount of carbs and they sit well in my stomach. Good luck.

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Your morning meal is enough fuel for your workout, no need for a pre-workout shake or carbs, which will only steal blood and energy from your workout for digestion.

I have also read on this forum that simple carbs before working out do not actually get utilized during the workout. Can anyone confirm?

WetWorks

Awards
I found BCAA, AAKG, Beta Alanine, Creatine micronized, and O.J. to work wonders for a pre workout drink.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I take 2 cups of whey protein, but i have heard that u dont need that before u workout.Is thgat true?

I workout in the am and eat for breakfast 2 cups of oatmeal and 10 egg whites. About 2-3 hrs later i go and workout. Should skip the protein shake before i workout and replace it with something else?
You don't need ANYthing pre-training, no, as long as your nutrition throughout the rest of the day is on target, especially your post-training nutrition - if you have something, that's personal preference.

I have also read on this forum that simple carbs before working out do not actually get utilized during the workout. Can anyone confirm?
It depends what else you have in your system, how soon before your training you consume the simple carbohydrates, your type and mode of training, and other individual factors, etc.

~Rosie~

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
I would say WPI and a bowl of oatmeal would be great. First thing in the morning you want to get some protein in your system because your fasted. Also, I think that if u eat 2-3 hrs pre workout, you will be just fine. I think as long as you give yourself and hour-hour and a half, your g2g. Those are just my thoughts and what I do. Now I WOULDNT eat a huge meal and then hit the weights. Just my 2 cents. I dont know what your goals and type of training is, but as long as your seeing progress, I wouldnt change a thing. Try a couple different things and find what works for you and your goals. Best of luck!