HEALTHY Chilli Recipe???
- 11-14-2010, 06:27 PM
- 11-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Low fat is easy. Use ground Turkey. Low sugar is where it gets tricky.
- 11-15-2010, 02:12 PM
HELP!Would Stevia,etc work?
11-16-2010, 10:49 AM
It's the sugar in the tomatoes that gets you. Maybe a white chili?
11-18-2010, 06:07 PM
This recipe comes from Dr. John Berardi, Phd, CSCS...
Now before you dismiss the beans, and other things you think may disqualify it as low carb, Dr John is a big advocate of P+F and P+C meals and has found what veggies, etc will up your insulin too much and has a couple of cookbooks out designed for this so he's not a bad guy to trust. Plus, most of his recipes were put together with the assistance of a top notch chef.
* 4 lbs extra lean ground beef (96%)
* 4 cans kidney beans (15.5 oz per can), drained and rinsed
* 2 large onions, chopped
* 2 large tomatoes, chopped
* 1 lb carrots, peeled and sliced
* 4 bell peppers - 1 green, 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 orange, cut into 1/2-inch squares
* 6 cloves garlic, chopped
* Two 46-fl oz bottles V8 vegetable juice, spicy hot
* 1/2 cup cashew meal
Spices: 4 tbsp chili powder, 1 tsp cumin, 2 tsp paprika, 1 tsp celery seed, 1 tsp fresh ground pepper (for a quicker version, you can use 3 packages chili seasonings mix, but it won't quite be the same!)
In a large skillet, brown the ground beef, one pound at a time, over high heat together with the garlic and onions. If your skillet is large enough (i.e., a wok), you can brown the beef all at once to save time. On the last batch, add the spices after the beef is browned and continue frying for another couple of minutes. Add the browned beef to a very large pot with a lid, and then add the beans, tomatoes, carrots, peppers, and V8 juice. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer.
To make the cashew meal, process 1/2 cup cashews in a blender in short bursts, until a grainy meal is formed. Do not process for too long or you will have cashew butter. Stir-in the cashew meal, cover, and simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
11-21-2010, 02:06 PM
Similar Forum Threads
- By Dracoy in forum RecipesReplies: 33Last Post: 02-12-2010, 12:42 AM
- By dommer in forum RecipesReplies: 0Last Post: 08-05-2008, 12:34 PM
- By 99sscamaroma in forum RecipesReplies: 10Last Post: 09-26-2007, 12:37 PM
- By Cold in forum RecipesReplies: 11Last Post: 01-21-2006, 10:10 AM
- By John Smeton in forum SupplementsReplies: 4Last Post: 10-12-2004, 11:10 PM