food pre/post w/o

Pipes

Awards
  • Established
I'm tryin to get more into specifics with my nutrition and diet. From what I've read its good to eat carbs post w/o. Is that right, and if so how long after?

Also eating pre w/o, how long before and what type of food, or just a snack? I see alot of people sayin just eatin a banana immediately before, some eat a meal about 90 mins before. Thanks!

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
I for one work out at 7am so i wake up at 6am and have an apple or banana with a protein drink withcreatine and im good to go. I always have the same post wo. I like it this way

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm tryin to get more into specifics with my nutrition and diet. From what I've read its good to eat carbs post w/o. Is that right, and if so how long after?

Also eating pre w/o, how long before and what type of food, or just a snack? I see alot of people sayin just eatin a banana immediately before, some eat a meal about 90 mins before. Thanks!
There are a lot of recommendations for pre and post-training nutrition.

Re pre-training nutrition, you have to do what is right for YOU, since some individuals (like myself) prefer to train [always] on an empty stomach and therefore will not eat pre-training, whilst others will have several meals or even eat right before (I used to do this when I was cycling - eat right before I went training - but not now).

Re post-training nutrition, there is a lot of information about what and what not to use here, with some saying yes to carbohydrates and others saying no. I've always recommended having a shake with ~50g of carbohydrates (simple is best, but a mix of simple and complex is fine), and ~30g of protein as soon as possible - if you use creatine, add that to your shake. However, a shake is NOT necessary, as long as you eat a proper meal within an hour of finishing your training, definitely including at least COMPLEX carbohydrates in it, along with protein and some fat.

Re post-training nutrition, a good source to read is Chapter 14: Nutrition for Recovery After Training and Competition in Clinical Sports Nutrition (Burke, 2006).

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's also somewhat goal dependant. Pre/post workout is a good bit different between a cut, recomp and bulk.