Stomach Acid/HCL Betaine

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Stomach Acid/HCL Betaine

I've been having weird inflammation-related symptoms throughout my body for about a year (stomach distention, skin rashes/infections on my face, slow exercise recovery) and after eliminating gluten and dairy from my diet for about 10 weeks I have only seen a slight improvement. The only way I can prevent the rashes on my face is by applying manuka honey on my face and leaving it on all night (very sticky btw). I starting to think that the symptoms could be caused by a lack of hydrochloric acid in my stomach, and I just purchased a product off of charles poliquin's site called digestforce 2.0 which contains HCL betaine along with a few enzymes. Does anyone have any other possible solutions/ think that this supplement is a good idea? I've tried taking probiotics, I drink a few tablespoons of ACV spread out throughout day, lots of high quality fish oil, and I cook with coconut oil and also apply it to my skin every single day....just getting very frustrated.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Answers

I would go see a doctor.

Best not to try and diagnose/self medicate using the internet and forums!

Go get professional opinion
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Yeah, you are probably right. I'm thinking that I should try a GI doctor since I've seen pretty much everyone else already.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.
    Answers

You should probably get a stomach biopsy. Lack of acid is not a common problem. Especially in today's diets. I tried betaine once and all it did was give me BAD heartburn. I would try some fiber, Metamucil unflavored husk. Also stick with a good probiotic like this one.
    http://shopping.yahoo.com/26299424-j...yBKNlwP0QbFt0A

Wish the best for you bro.
    ôLord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life"- John 6:68

WHAT has science offered?
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Answers

I've actually been using the HCl betaine for a week now, and it seems like I do have an acid problem since 1400mg of it does not give me any sort of burning sensation or discomfort. I feel like my stomach is starting to calm down a little so I'm gonna stay the course for now, and probably add a probiotic soon.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Answers

Hope it works out for you. I would seek medical help though so you can properly diagnose your problem. I also understand the state of our abysmal health care system and perhaps it's not an option for you.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Stomach pain and bloating after acid reflux surgery
    By DerickVonD in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-08-2010, 02:39 PM
  2. Betaine and Betaine Hydrochloride
    By yeahright in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-18-2008, 01:55 PM
  3. Stomach Acid
    By 200wannabe in forum Weight Loss