Stomach Acid/HCL Betaine

colange2

Awards
I've been having weird inflammation-related symptoms throughout my body for about a year (stomach distention, skin rashes/infections on my face, slow exercise recovery) and after eliminating gluten and dairy from my diet for about 10 weeks I have only seen a slight improvement. The only way I can prevent the rashes on my face is by applying manuka honey on my face and leaving it on all night (very sticky btw). I starting to think that the symptoms could be caused by a lack of hydrochloric acid in my stomach, and I just purchased a product off of charles poliquin's site called digestforce 2.0 which contains HCL betaine along with a few enzymes. Does anyone have any other possible solutions/ think that this supplement is a good idea? I've tried taking probiotics, I drink a few tablespoons of ACV spread out throughout day, lots of high quality fish oil, and I cook with coconut oil and also apply it to my skin every single day....just getting very frustrated.

CrazyBassGuy

Awards
I would go see a doctor.

Best not to try and diagnose/self medicate using the internet and forums!

Go get professional opinion

colange2

Awards
Yeah, you are probably right. I'm thinking that I should try a GI doctor since I've seen pretty much everyone else already.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established

colange2

Awards
I've actually been using the HCl betaine for a week now, and it seems like I do have an acid problem since 1400mg of it does not give me any sort of burning sensation or discomfort. I feel like my stomach is starting to calm down a little so I'm gonna stay the course for now, and probably add a probiotic soon.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Hope it works out for you. I would seek medical help though so you can properly diagnose your problem. I also understand the state of our abysmal health care system and perhaps it's not an option for you.