If youve ever been gluten free get in here

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
I've heard that when you give up gluten, all your allergies dissapear, anything envolving fitness gets easier, you have more energy, acne dissapears, and even get sick less. So my question to you kind people is:

Has anyone ever gotten let down on this diet? Have any of you ever found that one of the things above just didn't happen?

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Also, is gluten even bad for most people. Or dose it just pass through anyone who doesn't have an allergy.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It is due to an immune response to a food someone in sensitive to. I have seen studies and instances where a glutes free diet has relieved symptoms of Alzheimers, lesions on the brain, autism and dozens of others.

Symptoms are only in those that have some form of sensitivity to gluten. How many people have this is a big point of debate because it isn't necessarily celiac disease or nothing. Food intolerance testing can be very unreliable as well. I have had one done and supposedly have no issues with it but cannot eat it without feeling horrible and getting a lot of GI distress.

Best way to test is cut it out completely for a minimum of 2 weeks then reintroduce it. If you do this it needs to be 100% so check for hidden ingredients like rusk in sausages and packaged meat. Oats are out of bounds as well unless certified gluten free as cross contamination stops them being safe in most cases.

I hope this helps.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Im gonna try it when I have time for it to be convenient. I wonder though, how much these effects relate directly to gluten, or how much it's because gluten free people just generaly eat better.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Im gonna try it when I have time for it to be convenient. I wonder though, how much these effects relate directly to gluten, or how much it's because gluten free people just generaly eat better.
You need a good month away from gluten before everything "feels" better. I will say, I am NEVER tired. My post workout soreness is rarely there and if it is, its only there if I'm not moving around the next day. I do eat gluten, but only about once every two weeks or so and I feel like a mess for a day or two afterwards. I have never had allergy issues but I used to get acne on my back, about 3-4 pimples a week on my back and now I get maybe 1 every two weeks.

I'm not really sure what you mean by having time for it to be convenient. How could getting rid of wheat gluten be a big inconvenience? Because you have to prepare more fresh foods? Like has been said before, cook once a week and reheat throughout the week.

Yes, a big part of gluten free diets, at least the paleo diet for example, is the fact that you're replacing grains with other foods that have a lot more nutrients and produce a lot less acids in the body. So it may not be the gluten itself so much as the increase in vitamins and minerals from more veggies and less acid producing grains.

I like how it makes me feel and the science or pseudoscience behind it doesn't really matter to me. Keeping grains out of my diet is the best thing I've ever done.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
You need a good month away from gluten before everything "feels" better. I will say, I am NEVER tired. My post workout soreness is rarely there and if it is, its only there if I'm not moving around the next day. I do eat gluten, but only about once every two weeks or so and I feel like a mess for a day or two afterwards. I have never had allergy issues but I used to get acne on my back, about 3-4 pimples a week on my back and now I get maybe 1 every two weeks.

I'm not really sure what you mean by having time for it to be convenient. How could getting rid of wheat gluten be a big inconvenience? Because you have to prepare more fresh foods? Like has been said before, cook once a week and reheat throughout the week.

Yes, a big part of gluten free diets, at least the paleo diet for example, is the fact that you're replacing grains with other foods that have a lot more nutrients and produce a lot less acids in the body. So it may not be the gluten itself so much as the increase in vitamins and minerals from more veggies and less acid producing grains.

I like how it makes me feel and the science or pseudoscience behind it doesn't really matter to me. Keeping grains out of my diet is the best thing I've ever done.
This post was full of great advice! I see what you mean about keeping your acid low. When I switched from useing dextrose post workout to oat flour, I actually started to feel better pretty quickly.

I do have one question. You postulated the idea that maby gluten free foods may just have more nutrients. Do you ever eat gluten free junk food? How do you feel after that?

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
This post was full of great advice! I see what you mean about keeping your acid low. When I switched from useing dextrose post workout to oat flour, I actually started to feel better pretty quickly.

I do have one question. You postulated the idea that maby gluten free foods may just have more nutrients. Do you ever eat gluten free junk food? How do you feel after that?
Junk food is still junk food. I limit those in general. I follow the 90/10 rule. 90% clean 10% cheat. Also, I make sure I eat my clean meal before I have the cheat. This limits the amount I cheat.

I only eat gluten free chocolate junk food. If I want a cookie I eat a regular cookie but I usually sub half the wheat flour in the recipe for coconut flour. Coconut flour gives a subtle taste and a very nice texture. What kind of junk food are you talking about exactly?

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Junk food is still junk food. I limit those in general. I follow the 90/10 rule. 90% clean 10% cheat. Also, I make sure I eat my clean meal before I have the cheat. This limits the amount I cheat.

I only eat gluten free chocolate junk food. If I want a cookie I eat a regular cookie but I usually sub half the wheat flour in the recipe for coconut flour. Coconut flour gives a subtle taste and a very nice texture. What kind of junk food are you talking about exactly?
Basically any sugary or salty processed junk tha just so happens to not contain gluten.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Well my interpretation of the paleo way of eating is removing processed food. If you can put it together yourself, its a little bit better, but avoiding refined sugar and added salt doesn't belong anywhere in a paleo eating plan.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been doing a modified Paleo diet for years and can tell within days when I start to deviate from it (e.g. congestion, lethargy).

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Alright Im intereted! Im gonna switch to gluten free, not quite paleo yet, but I live with my parents and they buy the food... Would any of you reccomend anything to help me detox?

colange2

Awards
Hey Rodja, what exactly have you done as far as "modifying" the paleo diet? I'm just curious because I still eat brown rice and potatoes (both regular and sweet) but want to get closer to full paleo.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey Rodja, what exactly have you done as far as "modifying" the paleo diet? I'm just curious because I still eat brown rice and potatoes (both regular and sweet) but want to get closer to full paleo.
True Paleo does not incorporate tubers; I still incorporate Basmati rice because the PRAL is really low and it is inexpensive.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
ive heard that it can take up to 6 months for your gut to fully recover from gluten damage. like was said above the issue is the lifelong levels of low intestinal irritation. this leads to all sorts of immune system dysfunctions, allergies, cancer, etc. ive been eating rodjas version of paleo for at least 7 months with occasional cheats. ive noticed that wheat products make me feel a lot worse than sugars or hydrogenated fats. i must be in the allergic category.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
I guess it's like a pimple. Even after it opens up and spills its yellow stuff, that red spot isn't just gonna go away quickly.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Did anyone notice their immune system go a little wonky when they first started this? It could just be a coincidence that I have a cold.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Paleo/Primal ROCKS!!! Looks like you already got some good info from Rodja and Anton.. good luck

smutty

smutty

Awards
I have been gluten free for a couple of years now. For those looking for a good gluten free carb, try buckwheat and Quinoa. Fantastic gluten free carbs.