Fish oil vs. Krill oil

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  172 lbs.
    Answers

Lightbulb Fish oil vs. Krill oil

Where do you all currently stand regarding this matter?

Krill Oil's claim to fame is omegas-3s from fish oil are found naturally in triglyceride form. Triglycerides are more prone to be burnt as fuel by the body before the omega-3 can be absorbed into the red blood cells. Supposedly, this problem is solved with Krill Oil.

Any takers? I've been supplementing with fish oil (omega-3s) for a very long time, doing about 2-4g/ED. There's plenty of research on fish oil substantiating and illustrating its wide range of benefits.

Do you feel Krill Oil is really worth the higher cost?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Answers

a few people on this board prefer it, ive heard that its much better but havent read about it yet
    BJJ = life
  3. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

theres pretty good research showing krill oil's better gram for gram cardiovascular effect, but there aren't much claims of many of the other benefits of fish oil, like mood enhancement, joints, etc.
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
    •   

4. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'11"  202 lbs.
    Answers

subbed for more feedback. Thanks for the input Easy.
  5. Registered User
    Answers

2011 Study

Metabolic effects of krill oil are essentially similar to those of fish oil but at lower dose of EPA and DHA, in healthy volunteers.
    Ulven SM, Kirkhus B, Lamglait A, Basu S, Elind E, Haider T, Berge K, Vik H, Pedersen JI.

Faculty of Health, Nutrition, and Management, Akershus University College, LillestrÝm, Norway. stinemarie.ulven@hiak.no

Abstract
    The purpose of the present study is to investigate the effects of krill oil and fish oil on serum lipids and markers of oxidative stress and inflammation and to evaluate if different molecular forms, triacylglycerol and phospholipids, of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) influence the plasma level of EPA and DHA differently. One hundred thirteen subjects with normal or slightly elevated total blood cholesterol and/or triglyceride levels were randomized into three groups and given either six capsules of krill oil (N = 36; 3.0 g/day, EPA + DHA = 543 mg) or three capsules of fish oil (N = 40; 1.8 g/day, EPA + DHA = 864 mg) daily for 7 weeks. A third group did not receive any supplementation and served as controls (N = 37). A significant increase in plasma EPA, DHA, and DPA was observed in the subjects supplemented with n-3 PUFAs as compared with the controls, but there were no significant differences in the changes in any of the n-3 PUFAs between the fish oil and the krill oil groups. No statistically significant differences in changes in any of the serum lipids or the markers of oxidative stress and inflammation between the study groups were observed. Krill oil and fish oil thus represent comparable dietary sources of n-3 PUFAs, even if the EPA + DHA dose in the krill oil was 62.8% of that in the fish oil.

PMID: 21042875 [PubMed - in process]
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  172 lbs.
    Answers

Thank you all for your feedback. In particular, the study, was intriguingly insightful. There seems to be far more substantiating research on fish oil than krill oil anyhow. Fish oil seems to be the better pick. I've never experimented w/krill oil and never felt it was worth dishing out the extra money while I was already receiving results from the fish oil.

Thanks again, you all!
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  185 lbs.
    Answers

This is interesting. My thought would just be combining both to get variety.
  8. Registered User
    Answers

Krill oil is definitely better. After I started taking Krillipid Balance and got a blood test, my doctor was actually amazed at the results. Thats after only taking the recommended dose on the bottle too!. I will never go back to regular fish oil.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    Krill oil is definitely better. After I started taking Krillipid Balance and got a blood test, my doctor was actually amazed at the results. Thats after only taking the recommended dose on the bottle too!. I will never go back to regular fish oil.
    Usually this is where you elaborate on what amazed your doctor.

Sent from my Android device
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Skigazzi View Post
    Metabolic effects of krill oil are essentially similar to those of fish oil but at lower dose of EPA and DHA, in healthy volunteers.
    Ulven SM, Kirkhus B, Lamglait A, Basu S, Elind E, Haider T, Berge K, Vik H, Pedersen JI.

Faculty of Health, Nutrition, and Management, Akershus University College, LillestrÝm, Norway. stinemarie.ulven@hiak.no

Abstract
    The purpose of the present study is to investigate the effects of krill oil and fish oil on serum lipids and markers of oxidative stress and inflammation and to evaluate if different molecular forms, triacylglycerol and phospholipids, of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) influence the plasma level of EPA and DHA differently. One hundred thirteen subjects with normal or slightly elevated total blood cholesterol and/or triglyceride levels were randomized into three groups and given either six capsules of krill oil (N = 36; 3.0 g/day, EPA + DHA = 543 mg) or three capsules of fish oil (N = 40; 1.8 g/day, EPA + DHA = 864 mg) daily for 7 weeks. A third group did not receive any supplementation and served as controls (N = 37). A significant increase in plasma EPA, DHA, and DPA was observed in the subjects supplemented with n-3 PUFAs as compared with the controls, but there were no significant differences in the changes in any of the n-3 PUFAs between the fish oil and the krill oil groups. No statistically significant differences in changes in any of the serum lipids or the markers of oxidative stress and inflammation between the study groups were observed. Krill oil and fish oil thus represent comparable dietary sources of n-3 PUFAs, even if the EPA + DHA dose in the krill oil was 62.8% of that in the fish oil.

PMID: 21042875 [PubMed - in process]
    very insightful indeed. Remember its the epa and dha amount and not all fish oil products are created equal
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Eagle View Post

could have been the quality of the brands, some brands are tested by third party independent tests verses just the manufacture test, which many companies do.

there was a report out where 3nd party came in and tested out most of the fish oil products on the market and it showed many were containment ed with pcb and containment's while others were pure.

(example prescription loveza is all pure and does indeed costs much more) I take brands that i trust and eventually want to narrow it down to one brand.
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  12. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Eagle View Post

There was a dramatic drop in LDL cholesterol and a dramatic increase in HDL cholesterol. Also my Triglycerides dropped significantly and liver values. All this without a significant change in diet. I'm not alone in this according to Dsade. Krillipid balance will always be in my cabinet.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. NKO Krill Oil 3x Stronger than Fish Oil!?
    By Turk in forum Supplements
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-04-2011, 11:00 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-18-2011, 07:55 AM
  3. MegaRed Krill Oil vs Omega 3 Fish Oil..........
    By tshaw024 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-27-2010, 06:41 AM
  4. krill oil vs fish oil
    By qwerty33 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-12-2009, 04:53 PM
  5. Why take krill/fish oil?
    By DGA3 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-09-2009, 03:36 PM