Paleo Recipe Collection Thread
- 02-27-2011, 01:00 AM
Stole this recipe from a blog and since it is Paleo friendly I thought I would share it with ya.
Link to original article
Meat Sauce over Spaghetti Squash
(Based on my Auntís recipe from her region of Basilicata in Italy)
- In a large 6 quart pot or Dutch oven put 2 to 3 tablespoons of high quality olive oil and put at least a half of teaspoon of crushed red pepper to infuse it into the oil. (I use quite a bit more as we both love spicy foods!)
- Sautť 4 large Sausages in the oil and pepper (casing removed) for about 10 minutes. I use US Wellness Grass-fed Italian Beef Sausage (link to US Wellness Meats).
- Cover with ground or powered garlic. Lightly cover the entire area of meat.
- With a nod to Mario Batali, the last few times I have added 3/4 of a cup of red wine. My Mother would not approve, but it did give an extra richness to the sauce. If you use the wine, first cook it down for 10-15 minutes over the meat before you add the tomatoes.
- Meanwhile, split a spaghetti squash in half and bake it on a cookie sheet face down for approximately 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Cover the cookie sheet barely with water so the squash steams in it. Itís done when you can easily stick a fork into the hard shell. You will use a fork to scrape the squash out of the shell. It looks a bit like angel hair pasta!
- Now add two 28 ounce cans of crushed or diced tomatoes. I love San Marzano tomatoes, considered to be the best tomatoes in the world! (link to San Marzano Tomatoes).
- Fill one of the cans with water and add to the sauce. More water can be added, but to get a rich tomato taste donít water it down.
- Then add a small 6 oz. can of tomato paste, and mushrooms if you like. Cook it down for a bit.
- Cover the top with Oregano
- Cover the top with Parsley
- Cover the top with a good Sea Salt
- Add a pinch of fennel seeds
- Go very lightly with Basil (too much makes it sweet) maybe a pinch or two
- Eoungh Parmesan cheese to cover the top (you can skip this if you donít want to eat dairy).
- If you use fresh spices use more as they are not as intense.
- Now simmer the sauce for about 3 hours
- Donít let it boil or a lot of your sauce will evaporate
- Serve over Spaghetti Squash
It tastes even better the next day!
- 03-21-2011, 11:36 AM
I have been using almond meal and the stuff is GREAT! It is a great alternative for bread crumbs IMO
So far I made chicken and fish with it. Just dip in egg and roll in the almond meal and then bake or fry.
Also I made a meatloaf the other day using almond meal instead of the breadcrumbs. I will post p the meat loaf recipe later but basically I took some sun dried tomatoes, EVOO, and garlic and threw it into the food processor and mixed all together and then mixed that into the ground meat (beef or turkey) along with the almond meal. It was pretty good and all Paleo.PESCIENCE.COM
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
06-18-2011, 06:43 PM
06-19-2011, 04:38 PM
06-19-2011, 06:59 PM
06-23-2011, 04:01 AM
Subbed!!! These look awesome and will hopefully help my wife get on board with the paleo diet.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
Sarguy's SNS TTA-500 and ALCAR-500 Log:
06-23-2011, 05:01 AM
If it comes in a box, eat the box... it probably has more fiber.
By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired.
Similar Forum Threads
- By MidwestBeast in forum RecipesReplies: 20Last Post: 06-27-2011, 02:54 AM
- By Rugger in forum General ChatReplies: 42Last Post: 11-23-2008, 01:36 PM
- By dez/null in forum Weight LossReplies: 75Last Post: 05-23-2004, 05:25 AM