Can't friggin sleep

Secretive

Awards
Having a big problem lately that is really killing me all around. I am sleepy all day, bags under my eyes, minimal motivation or appetite, then when I lie down for sleep, my mind starts racing.

I always "go to bed" 9-10 hours before I have to get up. I take ZMA and melatonin, and tried chamomile tea in addition to that tonight. But I just couldn't get to sleep.

I'm pretty pressured by school and other than lifting, I don't have many things in my life which are exciting. I haven't been having great gym progress lately, plateauing every couple of weeks, getting in a crap mood after my workouts for no reason, even if I hit a nice PR. Caffeine doesn't work and I stopped having it.

I haven't taken a week off in 3-4 months now but last time I took a week off (keeping my diet still good) I lost strength.

I feel like I have just been depressed for the entire year, everything tires me out, I am restless. No interest in my old hobbies, I even have been losing interest in lifting because of my slow progress! And no interest in people to speak of

notanymore

Awards
  • Established
Tylenol simply sleep helped me a ton. Used melatonin a lot before and eventually it became less efficient for my body so changed it up for a while.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I feel like I have just been depressed for the entire year, everything tires me out, I am restless. No interest in my old hobbies, I even have been losing interest in lifting because of my slow progress! And no interest in people to speak of
You said it, It sounds like classic depression symptoms. Talk to a professional about it. Thinking you can beat it yourself won't get you anywhere.

JCunningham

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I try to fix my own problems..
I could never seek "professional health".. Like they would know my mind or body before me..

Melatonin 6mg
5-HTP 50mg
Valerian root 400mg

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
Op I had the exact same symptoms you are experiencing went to doctor to get blood work turned out to be very low testosterone levels i was put on replacement therapy and gradually have gotten better. Testosterone controlls so many things in the body definately worth checking out

JCunningham

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Op I had the exact same symptoms you are experiencing went to doctor to get blood work turned out to be very low testosterone levels i was put on replacement therapy and gradually have gotten better. Testosterone controlls so many things in the body definately worth checking out
x2..
Bloodwork.

team180

Awards
Blood work and time off.... Sounds like your adrenals are stressed possibly...

b555

Awards
oil my freind oil

you are overtrain get protein and oil spoon of oil every meal

midlandindian

Awards
You could have insomnia. Also, I would lay off the melatonin because melatonin supplements encourage your body to stop producing its own melatonin and can make it harder to fall asleep.

2buff

2buff

Awards
sometimes due to my busy schedule I would eat late at night causing me to have trouble sleeping. I also upgraded my mattress to a sleep number bed and it has done wonders.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i have the se thing and have seen a doc and i too have low T probably going to be goi on replacemnt therapy starting in january and cant wait to start feeling better and puttin on sum muscle !!! and although u mgiht nt have an appetite if u still wanna get big u still gotta eat

swan1209

Awards
  • Established
To me this sounds like overtraining. Take some time off, at least a week and then come back slowly. Working out once a week and then maybe up to two times a week. If you focus on poundage progression you will not lose strength.

catty66

catty66

Awards
Blood work could definetly identify or elimate some issues you are having. I would start there.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
u guys think jsut taking time off would help the T levels....cuz thats my prob no LH which means no T

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
definitely some over training going on. insomnia and sh#tty mood are a good indicator. take as much time off as your body needs, refeed with massive steaks and red potatoes. for sleeping, GABA really helped me. up to 5 grams right before bed does the trick. very relaxing effect and an awesome boost in mood the next day.

most important, try to switch some things up in your life. past 2 years i was battling same type of depression symptoms, weird anxiety out of nowhere. i moved into a different house with different people, started going to see tons of concerts, changed up some things in the diet and just like that i feel great now. its very easy to work yourself into a depressing routine. seriously, reconnect with some old friends and go out at night and have a wild time. sometimes thats all it takes to get things going again.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
u guys think jsut taking time off would help the T levels....cuz thats my prob no LH which means no T
yea overtraining will halt T production. sleep and eat more

Orangatang

Orangatang

Awards
  • Established
Having a big problem lately that is really killing me all around. I am sleepy all day, bags under my eyes, minimal motivation or appetite, then when I lie down for sleep, my mind starts racing.

I always "go to bed" 9-10 hours before I have to get up. I take ZMA and melatonin, and tried chamomile tea in addition to that tonight. But I just couldn't get to sleep.

I'm pretty pressured by school and other than lifting, I don't have many things in my life which are exciting. I haven't been having great gym progress lately, plateauing every couple of weeks, getting in a crap mood after my workouts for no reason, even if I hit a nice PR. Caffeine doesn't work and I stopped having it.

I haven't taken a week off in 3-4 months now but last time I took a week off (keeping my diet still good) I lost strength.

OP: I had very, very similar symptons. I've tried everything OTC (ie melatonin, the sleepy tea, nyquil, etc) and even perscription sleep aids like Abien. After none of these worked my doctor recommended i see a psychiatrist. BEST decision of my life. I was diagnosed with clinical depression that sprouted from my insomnia. I currently take a very low dose, anti-depressant that has drowsiness for a side effect. The medicene is called amitriptyline. Please talk to your doctor immdediately so you can get your quality of life back. :sleeping:

phunkyb

phunkyb

Awards
I agree with all the advice listed so far and I think I have tried almost every supp and prescription listed on here, too. I agree with JCunningham's list that includes 5-HTP and Valerian Root. I used 5-HTP this summer to get off my prescription anti-depressant and I slept like a baby when I was on it.

Good luck and I hope you are feeling better