Refeed/Cheat Day?

burritos

Awards
Is a Cheat Day (or Refeed) something that has purely mental benefits during a long cutting phase (for example) or does that day have some true nutritional/physiological benefits during a cut?

Thanks! I'm new to the forum here and have been learning so much from everyone...

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well from what Ive read, they do help you, because just as in execercise or anything, once your body gets used to something it becomes good at it, then you have less efficient gains. Its the same with nutrition. If you eat the same kinds of foods or at least that give you the same basic nutrients and are too low on fats or some type of carbs, your body gets used to not processing them. Throwing them back in a day would jump start your body to start working hard again, in theory I guess. Someone who can probably get a little more technical with answer you soon!

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is a Cheat Day (or Refeed) something that has purely mental benefits during a long cutting phase (for example) or does that day have some true nutritional/physiological benefits during a cut?

Thanks! I'm new to the forum here and have been learning so much from everyone...
It has both mental AND physiological benefits.

Mental, because it allows a 'relief' day - most individuals who cut follow ridiculously low calorie or carbohydrate diets, and many come close to 'starving' themselves for long periods of time, which can bear a strain mentally as well as physically.

Physiological, because it helps boost your metabolism and can give your body a 'shock' to get going again, and therefore HELPS you get better results and make progress - following ridiculously low calorie/carbohydrate diets for long periods of time is NOT sensible, and if you do it for too long, your body will eventually fight back and try to hold onto as much fat as possible.

Look at the leanest individuals in the world - they don't follow low calorie/carbohydrate diets for long periods of time, but CYCLE them. 'Refeeds' are an essential part of any cutting cycle if you are following a typical low calorie/carbohydrate diet (which, I might add, is completely UNnecessary for effective and successful fat loss).

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Rosie Chee Scott saves the day again!

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
If you read of a lot of lyle mcdonald he states that cheatmeals themselves are psychological while refeeds with high doses of carbs are physiological.