Production of Testosterone

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Production of Testosterone

I haven't been feeling my usual self lately (unmotivated, low libido, etc.) and i think i found my problem. I'm about 6 weeks into a cut, my main sources of protein are chicken, turkey, and tuna. I've cut out the tuna (fear of mercury poisioning) but realized i am not consuming any healthy fats or enough zinc because im a college student and dont have a grill for steaks, salmon, etc. I went to walmart last night and bought some zinc tablets, magnesium, and olive oil. I will be supplementing these into my diet and i was wondering how long will it be before my production of testosterone increases?? Any ideas or suggestions???

2. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Whole eggs
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Answers

I've been eating about 6 hardboiled eggs every morning (just the whites) should i eat the yolks too??
    •   

4. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by BigDro View Post
    I've been eating about 6 hardboiled eggs every morning (just the whites) should i eat the yolks too??
    Yes. Very few foods out there are better than a whole egg.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Yes. Very few foods out there are better than a whole egg.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  248 lbs.
    Answers

unless you have more than one whole egg......
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Answers

Haha yeah.

I had 3 eggs with breakfast yesterday - some other food during the day - 1 steak, 1 chicken breast and 3 eggs in the evening.

Then 3 more eggs with breakfast today.

I feel sorry for the guys in my office!!
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Answers

cool beans, ill start the yolks...

this guy's article helped me discover the zinc problem. his diet sounds very similar to mine...

forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=48526
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Answers

wild alaskan canned salmon. ton of awesome fat and cheap.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Answers

try to get extra sleep too. sleep deprivation combined with lots of training kills my test
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    try to get extra sleep too. sleep deprivation combined with lots of training kills my test
    Sleep. The missing puzzle piece to feeling and looking great.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Alaskan Salmon..sounds good!! ill go pick some up soon
  13. Registered User
    Answers

Restoring zinc levels can take time, expect a couple of months. Failing getting a RBC zinc test to know for sure you can buy a zinc tally solution for a few dollars to test.

You may need to take a much higher dose than usual and doses that most would consider toxic. It isn't uncommon for people to supplement 150mg of zinc per day before tapering down once their levels normalise.

Two extra points for zinc, supplements need to be good quality. Forms ending in 'ate' like aspartate or orotate. Oxide formulas are poorly absorbed to the point they are next to useless. Also, poor digestion will hinder zinc replenishment hugely, I have had a history of stomach issues and it took even higher doses for me to normalise my levels.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Answers

here is the zinc im taking

walmart.com/ip/Spring-Valley-Natural-Zinc-Immune-Health-Dietary-Supplement-200-ct/10325002

good or bad??
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.
    Answers

I eat about 10 egg whites/day - usually only one yolk. How many yolks can I eat/day?
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Answers

make sure you take your zinc without calcium, because calcium blocks zinc absorbtion, right? and bassically what your taking is your own Zma without magnesium or b6. I started on Zma and within a week im def feeling and lovin it. also on gaba so that might be part of it, im not sure but I started them both at the same time and I love it goodluck, im gona be in the same boat as you when I start my cut here soon!
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by 1newbie View Post
    I eat about 10 egg whites/day - usually only one yolk. How many yolks can I eat/day?
    as many as you want. the more dietary cholesterol you eat the less your liver produces. I eat 6-9 whole eggs a day.
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by CountryLiftin View Post
    make sure you take your zinc without calcium, because calcium blocks zinc absorbtion, right? and bassically what your taking is your own Zma without magnesium or b6. I started on Zma and within a week im def feeling and lovin it. also on gaba so that might be part of it, im not sure but I started them both at the same time and I love it goodluck, im gona be in the same boat as you when I start my cut here soon!
    Not sure about the zinc+calcium bit?

I'm not saying you are wrong, but aren't most pressed pills 99% calcium carbonate?

I know my zinc supplements are zinc citrate in a calcium carbonate filler.

Just a thought?
  19. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by BigDro View Post
    here is the zinc im taking

walmart.com/ip/Spring-Valley-Natural-Zinc-Immune-Health-Dietary-Supplement-200-ct/10325002

good or bad??
    The form of zinc used in the studies on strength and testosterone was Zinc monomethionine aspartate. The zinc form that you're currently taking and the zinc form used in the studies are both chelated forms of zinc, but the studies also used the chelated magnesium aspartate as well as B6. Studies have had mixed results, including a German study in 2006 that showed no statistically significant increase in serum testosterone levels. The amount of zinc monomethionine aspartate used was relatively high at around 20-30 mg per day, with around 400-500 mg of magnesium.

If you want to duplicate the results of any of the successful studies, then I would suggest taking the same form and dosages used.

As for the mercury in tuna fish, unless you lack the sufficient enzymes or have pre-existing liver issues, consuming a can of tuna fish per day should not pose any threat to your health, as a healthy person should be able to eliminate this amount naturally. BTW, there is naturally occurring lead in many mineral and herbal products, so if you are concerned about heavy metals, you may want to also take that into consideration when taking high amounts or potencies of herbs and minerals. Again, you shouldn't be too concerned as a cup of carrots has been shown to contain 12 mcg of lead and any product sold in California can not have more than .5 mcg of lead without a warning label (or there not supposed to, although many still do, until Prop 65 attorneys sue them).

If you're really concerned about heavy metals, here is a product that I hold in high regard- http://www.kidsvitaminshop.com/Detox-1-7.html

The clinical research on the ingredients used were pretty impressive as well.
    Most chlorella and cilantro heavy metal detox products actually contain trace amounts of lead (how ironic when you may be trying to perform a lead detox) and many zeolite heavy metal detox products will contain trace amounts of aluminum. The product mentioned above does not have detectable levels of any of the metals mentioned, which I found quite remarkable, since most of the vendors selling chlorella, will usually have small or trace levels of lead.

Children and a small amount of the population are at a higher risk of heavy metal toxicity from naturally occurring amounts in food, supplements and municipal drinking water, so I wouldn't stop eating tuna fish or be too concerned.
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by terminator View Post
    The form of zinc used in the studies on strength and testosterone was Zinc monomethionine aspartate. The zinc form that you're currently taking and the zinc form used in the studies are both chelated forms of zinc, but the studies also used the chelated magnesium aspartate as well as B6. Studies have had mixed results, including a German study in 2006 that showed no statistically significant increase in serum testosterone levels. The amount of zinc monomethionine aspartate used was relatively high at around 20-30 mg per day, with around 400-500 mg of magnesium.

If you want to duplicate the results of any of the successful studies, then I would suggest taking the same form and dosages used.

As for the mercury in tuna fish, unless you lack the sufficient enzymes or have pre-existing liver issues, consuming a can of tuna fish per day should not pose any threat to your health, as a healthy person should be able to eliminate this amount naturally. BTW, there is naturally occurring lead in many mineral and herbal products, so if you are concerned about heavy metals, you may want to also take that into consideration when taking high amounts or potencies of herbs and minerals. Again, you shouldn't be too concerned as a cup of carrots has been shown to contain 12 mcg of lead and any product sold in California can not have more than .5 mcg of lead without a warning label (or there not supposed to, although many still do, until Prop 65 attorneys sue them).

If you're really concerned about heavy metals, here is a product that I hold in high regard- http://www.kidsvitaminshop.com/Detox-1-7.html

The clinical research on the ingredients used were pretty impressive as well.
    Most chlorella and cilantro heavy metal detox products actually contain trace amounts of lead (how ironic when you may be trying to perform a lead detox) and many zeolite heavy metal detox products will contain trace amounts of aluminum. The product mentioned above does not have detectable levels of any of the metals mentioned, which I found quite remarkable, since most of the vendors selling chlorella, will usually have small or trace levels of lead.

Children and a small amount of the population are at a higher risk of heavy metal toxicity from naturally occurring amounts in food, supplements and municipal drinking water, so I wouldn't stop eating tuna fish or be too concerned.
    Some people suggest taking zinc in a separate dose, usually earlier in the day and the magnesium at night due to zinc having stimulatory effects in some people. Thoughts?
  21. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by wearedbleedblue View Post
    Some people suggest taking zinc in a separate dose, usually earlier in the day and the magnesium at night due to zinc having stimulatory effects in some people. Thoughts?
    Although I personally don't think that the research is super convincing, if you have some mineral deficiencies such as zinc and magnesium and have experienced a significant drop in serum testosterone levels, then I would take the zinc and magnesium together for their purported synergistic effect on serum testosterone. I would again, not go above the levels of zinc used in the research, since you will then run the risk of copper deficiencies. You could also split it up and take 1/2 in the morning and the other 1/2 of the dose in the afternoon.

As far as the possible stimulatory effect that it may have an a person, I would take it on a case-by-case basis. You may be referring to the possible prolactin antagonistic effect and subsequent increase in dopamine? I would say that if taking zinc is causing a person to miss sleep, then try taking the two together in the morning. I've tried ZMA and never felt any kind of stimulatory effect from it. I personally like taking my multi-vitamin with breakfast and lunch anyway and I'm not really expecting an increase in testosterone (my testosterone is in the normal range for my age), so I just make sure that the vitamins and minerals that I use have a high bioavailabilty.

I personally like taking magnesium in the evening because it does a pretty good job of relaxing my muscles and helps me sleep. I suppose if you really wanted to get picky, you could take calcium and potassium in the morning and magnesium at night to get the most relaxing effect, but I think that may just be a little over-the-top.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Cholesterol= testosterone production?
    By swan1209 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-18-2013, 09:53 AM
  2. Does a vasectomy effect testosterone production
    By Hot Rocks in forum 35 and Older
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 11-21-2007, 08:44 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-05-2007, 05:58 PM
  4. Oysters Increase Testosterone Production
    By rrgg in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 0