healthiest way to cook

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
What is the healthiest way to cook? and with what?

I know that steaming vegetables is the best way to cook vegetables

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
any help? grill on low heat, pan fry,.. what is the healthiest way to cook meets

bashman

bashman

Awards
  • Established
I think it depends, but mostly grill is best

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is there really even a difference? As long as it's cooked at a temperature to kill off bacteria, then it should be fine.

pablogdog

pablogdog

Awards
  • Established
I've read that cooking meats in their own juices is "supposed" to be healthier. More of a hassle though if your cooking in bulk and not even close to grilling tastewise.

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
how would you guys rate grilling vs cooking with evoo/ cranola oil in a pan on the stove?

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
What is the healthiest way to cook? and with what?
Naked. With tongs. :stups:

I've heard that baking/broiling is healthier. Grilling supposedly creates more carcinogens. Frying in olive oil or coconut oil should be a healthier choice too.

Either way I'm with Rodja. Just so long as it's cooked.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
how would you guys rate grilling vs cooking with evoo/ cranola oil in a pan on the stove?
I would probably rank evoo cooking higher than grilling...but it's Friday night and I don't have any empirical evidence to back me up. So take that for what it's worth....about 50-60 bytes.

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
thanks much. i would prob say baking would be > evoo in a pan bc there is no oil. but for some stuff pan would be best like cooking burgers inside. all is speculation.

Gamma

Awards
Generally, if you get anything brown it's bad for you.

Browned food contains advanced glycation end products called AGEs, which are not good for you.

In one mouse study which I would have to look for, they gave two groups of mice identical calories in the form of bread. One group they gave the middle of the loaf, the other group got the crusts.

The crust group got fat and unhealthy. Interesting, huh?

So raw, boiled and steamed are probably the way to go.

Aaelael

Aaelael

Awards
  • Established
honestly when it comes to chicken boiling it is the best way to cook it. . for the healthiest possible manner. . set up two boils that are boiling. . its called BLANCHing. . where the fat will raise and the meet will sink. . remove the chicken into clean water boiling and now there is little to no fat :fing02:

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
thanks guys is pan frying with evoo unhealth?

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think there are more significant factors than the difference between grilling, baking, boiling etc.

I would start with cooking oils (look into their melting points) as oils denature at higher temperatures. As an example I would fry in coconut oil rather than olive oil.

Cookware materials get into your food while cooking so it is wise to cook with pans where this is less of a problem. i.e., certain types of stainless steel, glass or enamel rather than aluminium or teflon coated.

This could be viewed as splitting hairs as it is rare to find someone who has such a heavy metal burden it is obvious but if you are looking for optimal health it is definitely worth considering.

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
i always load up a sheet pan lined in tinfoil with a bunch of chicken or steak. i also make sure to trim off all visible fat beforehand. steam all my veggies besides asparagus which i put under the broiler for a short time, drizzle a little evoo and some pepper on it. I always broil all my meats and fish.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Olive oil isn't a good choice for frying at high heat.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Coconut oil, ghee or butter are much more stable at high heat.

TipTopShape

TipTopShape

Awards
  • Established
they all right about what is healthy and I agreed to that..all i can say is make sure the ingredients and utensil are clean..:D

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
coconut oil :)