Fish oil question

  1. New Member
    Hondaman1010's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Age
    32
    Posts
    72
    Rep Power
    1523
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    98.66%

    Fish oil question


    I am currently taking Udo's 3,6,9 blend throughout the day if you don't know what that is refer to http://www.udoerasmus.com/products/oil_blend_en.htm would supplementing fish oil pills be necessary or beneficial to my diet even though im already getting loads of omegas. I also take CLA and Seasmin pills 2-3 times a day.

  2. Senior Member
    jumpshot903's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,387
    Rep Power
    12050
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    91.23%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    It depends on what your current ratio is for omega i try to achieve a 4:1 Omega 3 to omega 6 ratio if you cant meet your needs for omega 3 then you should supplement with it but the reccomended amount of fish per week runs anywhere from 2 servings of 4-6 ounces or 12 ounces now obviously there could be some more benefits to dosing higher but youd like to get most of it from actual fish i read somewhere the omega in fish 90% is abosrbed while fish oil caps only 50%.
  3. New Member
    terminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    102
    Rep Power
    171
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    98.19%

    Hondaman-
    Like jumpshot has mentioned, it depends upon your diet. If you are already eating a good amount of chicken, eggs, nuts, whole grains, vegetables, etc., then I think you would be getting too many Omega 6s by taking Udos Oil. You need to have a balance since Omega 3s have an anti-inflammatory benefit, while Omega 6s have a pro-inflammatory reaction.

    Your body will not convert ALA (the Omega 3 in Udos Oil), into the amount of EPA and especially DHA levels that you get automatically from fish oils.

    Many of the benefits from research on Brain, heart, lung health, etc can be attributed to DHA and to a lesser degree EPA. There is research on DHA and the role it may play on bone density.

    So it depends upon your diet and the benefits that you're seeking, but I would suggest adding in some fish oil and cutting back on the Udos, unless you're eating salmon,sardines, mackerel, etc. 3-5 times a week. Sesamin also contains Omega 6s!

    P.S. I would probable avoid these brands of fish oil: Nature Made, GNC, Now Foods, Omega Protein’s Omegapure, Solgar and Twinlab .

    They were found to have high PCB levels when compared to other fish oils.PCB’s are pollutants found in the environment that can lead to toxicity, when ingested in high amounts. Common symptoms are skin sores, eye sores and lowered immune response. In addition, children may experience poor cognitive development.
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    Hondaman1010's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Age
    32
    Posts
    72
    Rep Power
    1523
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    98.66%

    Quote Originally Posted by terminator View Post
    Hondaman-
    Like jumpshot has mentioned, it depends upon your diet. If you are already eating a good amount of chicken, eggs, nuts, whole grains, vegetables, etc., then I think you would be getting too many Omega 6s by taking Udos Oil. You need to have a balance since Omega 3s have an anti-inflammatory benefit, while Omega 6s have a pro-inflammatory reaction.

    Your body will not convert ALA (the Omega 3 in Udos Oil), into the amount of EPA and especially DHA levels that you get automatically from fish oils.

    Many of the benefits from research on Brain, heart, lung health, etc can be attributed to DHA and to a lesser degree EPA. There is research on DHA and the role it may play on bone density.

    So it depends upon your diet and the benefits that you're seeking, but I would suggest adding in some fish oil and cutting back on the Udos, unless you're eating salmon,sardines, mackerel, etc. 3-5 times a week. Sesamin also contains Omega 6s!

    P.S. I would probable avoid these brands of fish oil: Nature Made, GNC, Now Foods, Omega Protein’s Omegapure, Solgar and Twinlab .

    They were found to have high PCB levels when compared to other fish oils.PCB’s are pollutants found in the environment that can lead to toxicity, when ingested in high amounts. Common symptoms are skin sores, eye sores and lowered immune response. In addition, children may experience poor cognitive development.
    Thanks im currently using Kirkland brand fishoil pills from Costco.
  5. New Member
    terminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    102
    Rep Power
    171
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    98.19%

    Quote Originally Posted by Hondaman1010 View Post
    Thanks im currently using Kirkland brand fishoil pills from Costco.
    I would probably give the Kirkland brand to someone that you don't like and get fish oil from Carlson Labs or Nordic Naturals.

    Oximega might be a decent choice as well. I've only seen a Lab analysis from the Board Sponsor rep on PCBs, so I can't confirm heavy metal contamination, such as mercury.

    As far as fish oil goes, I would only by high quality fish oil, where steps are taken to prevent oxidation. Once the fish oil is rancid, you might as well throw it out. Make sure you refrigerate it also.
  6. Senior Member
    madds87's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,904
    Rep Power
    98808
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    55.17%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    The pay on fish oil goes a long way. Nordic naturals is a good one. Udos i love on that same product that he takes, its packed full of omegas! and i am huge on that stuff.. kinda expensive but i can find it alot on sale and get a tone of it. The taste though...... yuk! lol. I cant help but make a face everytime i take it lol
  7. Senior Member
    drinkyboy's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,162
    Rep Power
    118551
    Level
    29
    Lv. Percent
    22.79%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    I take Carlson Labs fish oil and its lemon flavored. I take it straight and it has no fishy after taste. Top notch product in my book and very well recognized in the health industry for quality. I would never skimp on my fish oil for a lesser quality.
  8. New Member
    headend's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Age
    27
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    71
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    44.27%

    I would look at Animal Omega. It doesn't have omega 9 in it but the human body is capable of producing enough omega 9 - at least that's what I have read. It is also convenient to just grab your pak and take it with you to work or whatever and have it with your lunch.
  9. Senior Member
    madds87's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,904
    Rep Power
    98808
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    55.17%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by headend View Post
    I would look at Animal Omega. It doesn't have omega 9 in it but the human body is capable of producing enough omega 9 - at least that's what I have read. It is also convenient to just grab your pak and take it with you to work or whatever and have it with your lunch.
    Quality is ok.
  10. New Member
    redbirdfan1's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Age
    38
    Posts
    136
    Rep Power
    66390
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    51.14%

    I take Controlled Labs OxiMega Fish Oil. It's omega 3's only but I like it.
  11. New Member
    Hondaman1010's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Age
    32
    Posts
    72
    Rep Power
    1523
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    98.66%

    Quote Originally Posted by terminator View Post
    I would probably give the Kirkland brand to someone that you don't like and get fish oil from Carlson Labs or Nordic Naturals.

    Oximega might be a decent choice as well. I've only seen a Lab analysis from the Board Sponsor rep on PCBs, so I can't confirm heavy metal contamination, such as mercury.

    As far as fish oil goes, I would only by high quality fish oil, where steps are taken to prevent oxidation. Once the fish oil is rancid, you might as well throw it out. Make sure you refrigerate it also.
    What is wrong with the costco brand fishoil exactly? Its Usp Certified for potency and manufacturing process, Fishoil is not supplied from farm rasied fish. State-of-the-art molecular distillation is used to remove pcb's and dioxins. At 9 dollars for 400 pills as well? I mean if I am wrong ill shell out the money but saving 20-30 dollars so I can use that for another supplement is nice.
  12. Senior Member
    madds87's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,904
    Rep Power
    98808
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    55.17%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Hondaman1010 View Post
    What is wrong with the costco brand fishoil exactly? Its Usp Certified for potency and manufacturing process, Fishoil is not supplied from farm rasied fish. State-of-the-art molecular distillation is used to remove pcb's and dioxins. At 9 dollars for 400 pills as well? I mean if I am wrong ill shell out the money but saving 20-30 dollars so I can use that for another supplement is nice.
    Its an arguement that just is always unsolved. Its all opinion and im sick of even arguing this . Ill stick to expensive. just because i can feel the difference with my chrones. Proof is in the pudding. That it works when you pay the extra dollar in fish oil atleast. The kind i normally look for is ones that have to be placed in cold. They have not let me down. But if you are looking for cheap an quality go for cod liver oil thats from garden of life. I get it on sale for ten bucks each normally online. If im going to spend ten bucks its on this stuff. Other stuff normally 30. The quality is pretty decent and helps me out a ton!
  13. New Member
    Hondaman1010's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Age
    32
    Posts
    72
    Rep Power
    1523
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    98.66%

    Quote Originally Posted by madds87 View Post
    Its an arguement that just is always unsolved. Its all opinion and im sick of even arguing this . Ill stick to expensive. just because i can feel the difference with my chrones. Proof is in the pudding. That it works when you pay the extra dollar in fish oil atleast. The kind i normally look for is ones that have to be placed in cold. They have not let me down. But if you are looking for cheap an quality go for cod liver oil thats from garden of life. I get it on sale for ten bucks each normally online. If im going to spend ten bucks its on this stuff. Other stuff normally 30. The quality is pretty decent and helps me out a ton!
    Ill finish up my bottle of the ones I got and order one of the ones mentioned try a few different brands see if I can notice a difference.
  14. Advanced Member
    wearedbleedblue's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    754
    Rep Power
    503
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    60.7%

    There is nothing wrong with Costco brand. Any "feeling" is in your head. Fish oil isn't something you feel, I don't care what you say. Another good brand is Carlson's, available in liquid for from amazon for about 23 bucks.
  15. Senior Member
    Killerkanadia's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,861
    Rep Power
    9479
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    48.71%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I might not be the smartest person in the world but for about 7 months i've been taking 10g+ a day of fish oil, not really caring what brand it is.
  16. Senior Member
    madds87's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,904
    Rep Power
    98808
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    55.17%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by wearedbleedblue View Post
    There is nothing wrong with Costco brand. Any "feeling" is in your head. Fish oil isn't something you feel, I don't care what you say. Another good brand is Carlson's, available in liquid for from amazon for about 23 bucks.
    Ok "feeling" is not in my head, when this "feeling" is getting so bad that i have to go to the hospital for because my ulcers have ruptured due to inflammation! feeling in my head my a$$! fish oil is known for soothing inflammation due to joint or whatever. I have been taking fishoil for a while buddy due since i have had chrones since i was a freshman in high school. I have taken the cheap **** and for me to get the result that i would normally get from a more expensive brand it would take 30 pills or more. And no telling what kind of fillers or any type of product thats in the pill also. I have been under remition for sometime now and i know it is due to fishoil at a high intake of strong omegas. I know the difference sir and if noone wants to beleive my preaching than im done. I said from the beginning im not going to get into this rediculous post. There is always such thing as quality! In anything and everything!
  17. Advanced Member
    wearedbleedblue's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    754
    Rep Power
    503
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    60.7%

    If you're comparing different levels of EPA/DHA per capsule, then yes there is a difference. But if you're saying that your expensive brand with x amount of EPA/DHA is any better than Costco brand with the same amount EPA/DHA (the do make double and triple strength ya know), then like I said before, its all in your head. Placebo effect is real and some people believe that more expensive means better quality. That can be true, but in the case of fish oil, Costco is just as good as the more costly brands.

    You honestly have no idea what you're talking about so don't try to explain the MOA of fish oil. You know it helps, so stick to knowing that. You couldn't explain why without a lengthy google search. If you haven't used the Costco brand exactly (which its pretty clear you haven't), don't comment on it.
  18. New Member
    terminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    102
    Rep Power
    171
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    98.19%

    Quote Originally Posted by Hondaman1010 View Post
    What is wrong with the costco brand fishoil exactly? Its Usp Certified for potency and manufacturing process, Fishoil is not supplied from farm rasied fish. State-of-the-art molecular distillation is used to remove pcb's and dioxins. At 9 dollars for 400 pills as well? I mean if I am wrong ill shell out the money but saving 20-30 dollars so I can use that for another supplement is nice.
    Hondaman-

    Here is a quote form an expert in the Omega 3 industry-
    According to Dr. Moerck:

    "[A]ll the reputable fish oil companies, the big boys in the industry… refine the fish oil and remove as many of the metals as they can.

    When you buy fish oils always pay the highest possible price. Usually a price in this case is a good indicator of quality. A very cheap fish oil is not okay," Dr. Moerck warns.

    "Don't ever buy it in the clear plastic bottle, or giant bottles like you see at some of these mall-type stores... because the light goes right through them. It's UV damaged. It's rancid. Also, if you have a big bottle of it, you better keep it in a refrigerator because it's going to go rancid.

    … I believe very strongly that you do have some excellent fish oil being made. But it's very expensive. If you're going to buy that, you should buy it from a distributor that will ship it to you directly. You don't want to buy it off the grocery shelf because you don't know how long it's been there...

    … As far as the fish oils we've seen out there, it's a very wide gamut of quality and stability and rancidity. I would say [25 to] 50 percent of them are rancid."

    This is important to realize, because taking a cheap poor quality rancid fish oil will surely do you more harm than good.

    "I think that there is some mislabeling going on," Moerck says, "[in] that the expiration date put on there is arbitrary and that the actual shelf life is less. I would bet my reputation on that that is the case – that there is fish oil that is mislabeled as far as expiration date.

    We have tested these and we have found a very wide range of rancidity even in the same brand."

    Now, keep in mind that any company can say their fish oil is USP or Pharmaceutical grade on their fish oil label, because there are no defined standards for using this term.

    The fish oil should be bottled or encapsulated at the fish oil processing plant, and should have a nitrogen flush or nitrogen purge added (in the case of encapsulation).

    Nordic Naturals and Carlson Labs both do this and get their fish oil from the artic (specifically Norway) and analytical testing has shown this fish oil to be superior in quality (lowest levels of PCBs and heavy metals) to virtually all fish oil.

    I've worked for several natural dietary supplement companies in the past (neither of which were Carlson Labs or Nordic Naturals) and virtually everyone that I spoke with in the industry prefers to get their fish oil from those 2 companies. If you attend any Natural Product show, you'll notice a great deal of employees from other companies doing whatever they can to get samples from Carlson Labs and/or Nordic Naturals.
  19. Advanced Member
    wearedbleedblue's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    754
    Rep Power
    503
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    60.7%

    This article/video transcription that you posted comes from an interview done by Dr. Mercola, who has a vested interest in selling Krill Oil supplements as shown on his site. Take it with a grain of salt.
  20. New Member
    terminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    102
    Rep Power
    171
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    98.19%

    Quote Originally Posted by wearedbleedblue View Post
    This article/video transcription that you posted comes from an interview done by Dr. Mercola, who has a vested interest in selling Krill Oil supplements as shown on his site. Take it with a grain of salt.
    Yes, but Dr. Moerck was talking specifically about fish oil and he wasn't saying that all fish oil was bad, but simply advocating what to look for when buying quality fish oil.

    If you follow Dr. Mercola, you'll also know that he has also specifiably praised Carlson Labs fish oil, even though he does not sell it himself.
  21. New Member
    terminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    102
    Rep Power
    171
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    98.19%

    Quote Originally Posted by wearedbleedblue View Post
    If you're comparing different levels of EPA/DHA per capsule, then yes there is a difference. But if you're saying that your expensive brand with x amount of EPA/DHA is any better than Costco brand with the same amount EPA/DHA (the do make double and triple strength ya know), then like I said before, its all in your head. Placebo effect is real and some people believe that more expensive means better quality. That can be true, but in the case of fish oil, Costco is just as good as the more costly brands.

    You honestly have no idea what you're talking about so don't try to explain the MOA of fish oil. You know it helps, so stick to knowing that. You couldn't explain why without a lengthy google search. If you haven't used the Costco brand exactly (which its pretty clear you haven't), don't comment on it.
    This coming from someone with a Certificate as a Strength and Conditioning Specialst level 1, lol? I guess 6 years of college was wasted, when I should have just acquired a correspondence certificate in nutrition. I also had a NASM APEX Certified Nutrition Fitness Professional certification, but I never felt the need to post it in my signature. I have a MS in Nutrition and am a CCN, something that is seen as respectable in the industry .

    Please disprove my "MOA" on the clinical research of the consumption of fish based n-3 PUFA, human in vivo 22:6(n-3) plasma levels vs consumption of plant based 18:3(n-3) human in vivo 22:6 (n-3) conversion plasma levels.

    Are you telling me that human in vivo 22:6(n-3) conversion plasma levels are superior to those of the preformed constituents of oily, cold water fish? I would love to read your new thesis on these exciting changes in the evolution of human biochemisty.

    I have worked in manufacturing and research and development jobs in the dietary supplement industry and I have worked with purchasing and various analytical labs, so I am talking from first hand, industry insider experience.

    A statement that the quality of fish oil one buys from Costco vs any other "expensive brand" is the same, is simply an ignorant statement. I guess then the greedy prop 65 lawyers would be out of a job. Maybe you should conduct "a lengthy google search" before you make an ignorant statement.
    Here is one such example of your misnomer-
    https://org2.democracyinaction.org/o...0Complaint.pdf

    I would love to have a debate with you,over the phone, where I can't just simply give you " a lengthy google search response", lol. Just PM me.
  22. Senior Member
    madds87's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,904
    Rep Power
    98808
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    55.17%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by wearedbleedblue View Post
    If you're comparing different levels of EPA/DHA per capsule, then yes there is a difference. But if you're saying that your expensive brand with x amount of EPA/DHA is any better than Costco brand with the same amount EPA/DHA (the do make double and triple strength ya know), then like I said before, its all in your head. Placebo effect is real and some people believe that more expensive means better quality. That can be true, but in the case of fish oil, Costco is just as good as the more costly brands.

    You honestly have no idea what you're talking about so don't try to explain the MOA of fish oil. You know it helps, so stick to knowing that. You couldn't explain why without a lengthy google search. If you haven't used the Costco brand exactly (which its pretty clear you haven't), don't comment on it.
    Wow Dude yes there are different levels of epa/dha. considering why you pay more for the quality! dur! you just contradicted yourself big time buddy. And yes they do make triple and double strength, brovo you can read. I hate to talk down to anyone but telling me that i have no idea what im talking about is just a slap in the face. Which is why i was all fired up when you said "Its all in the head".
    There is plenty of research that supports what im saying. Like i said before i dont feel like getting into it. I have done my research. Im convinced. Anything that is in huge quantities and for 2 bucks, exhadurated i know, you can trust that all you want.
    If i recommend a higher quality fishoil because it needs to be kept in cold and is in a dark bottle and is in liquid form, from a trusted company, and/or even from a company owner that has chrones himself. then i think im going to trust them a little more than some walmart brand. Sorry dude justify it all you want. But please please please please dont tell somone its all in there head. Which would make no sense. Especially sense he has been suffering from the sh!t for a while and nothing was working, then he tries something and seems to work, and you tell me its all placebo. You tell me not to comment on something that i have no idea about, which i do, well obviously your making the same mistake.
  23. Senior Member
    madds87's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,904
    Rep Power
    98808
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    55.17%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by terminator View Post
    This coming from someone with a Certificate as a Strength and Conditioning Specialst level 1, lol? I guess 6 years of college was wasted, when I should have just acquired a correspondence certificate in nutrition. I also had a NASM APEX Certified Nutrition Fitness Professional certification, but I never felt the need to post it in my signature. I have a MS in Nutrition and am a CCN, something that is seen as respectable in the industry .

    Please disprove my "MOA" on the clinical research of the consumption of fish based n-3 PUFA, human in vivo 22:6(n-3) plasma levels vs consumption of plant based 18:3(n-3) human in vivo 22:6 (n-3) conversion plasma levels.

    Are you telling me that human in vivo 22:6(n-3) conversion plasma levels are superior to those of the preformed constituents of oily, cold water fish? I would love to read your new thesis on these exciting changes in the evolution of human biochemisty.

    I have worked in manufacturing and research and development jobs in the dietary supplement industry and I have worked with purchasing and various analytical labs, so I am talking from first hand, industry insider experience.

    A statement that the quality of fish oil one buys from Costco vs any other "expensive brand" is the same, is simply an ignorant statement. I guess then the greedy prop 65 lawyers would be out of a job. Maybe you should conduct "a lengthy google search" before you make an ignorant statement.
    Here is one such example of your misnomer-
    https://org2.democracyinaction.org/o...0Complaint.pdf

    I would love to have a debate with you,over the phone, where I can't just simply give you " a lengthy google search response", lol. Just PM me.
    And my support! Term obviously knows his shiznit!
  24. Banned
    JCunningham's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    761
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    92.07%

    I get the fish oil at walmart..

    You do not need to pay a lot for a more purified fish oil.
    Most fish oils, no matter the price come with the same amount of actives...
    I pay 6$ for 200g of fish oil and I would not pay more for a "higher quality" fish oil..
  25. Advanced Member
    wearedbleedblue's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    754
    Rep Power
    503
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    60.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by madds87 View Post
    Wow Dude yes there are different levels of epa/dha. considering why you pay more for the quality! dur! you just contradicted yourself big time buddy. And yes they do make triple and double strength, brovo you can read. I hate to talk down to anyone but telling me that i have no idea what im talking about is just a slap in the face. Which is why i was all fired up when you said "Its all in the head".
    There is plenty of research that supports what im saying. Like i said before i dont feel like getting into it. I have done my research. Im convinced. Anything that is in huge quantities and for 2 bucks, exhadurated i know, you can trust that all you want.
    If i recommend a higher quality fishoil because it needs to be kept in cold and is in a dark bottle and is in liquid form, from a trusted company, and/or even from a company owner that has chrones himself. then i think im going to trust them a little more than some walmart brand. Sorry dude justify it all you want. But please please please please dont tell somone its all in there head. Which would make no sense. Especially sense he has been suffering from the sh!t for a while and nothing was working, then he tries something and seems to work, and you tell me its all placebo. You tell me not to comment on something that i have no idea about, which i do, well obviously your making the same mistake.
    You're still missing what I'm saying but that's fine, I have no need to argue anymore. I stand by my statement that for the average person, not trying to treat a disease, Costco brand fish oil is sufficient. To tell some guy that he needs to buy a different fish oil because his isn't good enough is ridiculous. Yes there are better brands. The cost/benefit ratio, in my opinion, is not justified for the average person. I don't think that taking a cheaper fish oil is worse than taking none at all. I ALSO said that Carlson's is a good choice and I have personally shown that I use it in my own paleo log thread. Lastly, I don't understand anything you say, its pure gibberish.
  26. Senior Member
    madds87's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,904
    Rep Power
    98808
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    55.17%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    agree to disagree
  27. Senior Member
    madds87's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,904
    Rep Power
    98808
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    55.17%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Conclusion:
    You can buy cheap or expensive product. More than likely you are paying for quality when you pay more, hence why you should try to find the product that would normally be more on sale. Maybe, you could find that more expensive product for the same price as the cheap "walmart or costco" price. Which is what I do. Since i refuse to pay 40 bucks for a something like fishoil.
    But with health in concern, I would recommend a stronger fishoil product. Of coarse this opinionated hondaman, but to me seems logical. Concidering all aspects of the fishoil benefits, at High concentrations, brings a big list to the table. If you want the list ill make one later, ha (Which sounds like a good idea for a sticky!). Some research even says that at high concentrations can be decently anabolic, and anti-catabolic (of coarse since its anabolic, :P). So with it being anti-catabolic, this would be recommended at the end of a cycle even, of coarse at high concentrations. With antiinflammation atributes, recovery is faster, lubricated joints, lower cholesterol, stronger tendons, etc. Also remember inflammation can include, silent inflammation, cancer, ulcers, migranes, heart attacks, arthritis, etc. Also fishoil can fight free radicals.
    So with all of these things to consider and more why wouldnt you go for something with already higher concentrations and quality assurence. Like i said before you could go with the cheaper stuff, but, some of the cheaper stuff normally has fillers, Ex: olive oil, burnt fishoil (exposed fishoil), minerals(like high amounts of mercury)... With the product i mentioned above i have noticed is the best and cheapest product. I normally buy about 10 of them and have about 8g's of fishoil daily, now with me i have a high inflammation risk. so is why i take so much..... Plus im out in the sun alot so i take more of it, considering some vitamins in the product. For you i would recommend at least 2gs or even 4gs. If you have high inflammation then i would consider more maybe and you should feel some of your side effects subside. Promise you will. If not tell me and i will hush up about it. Just do some research on inflammation and get examples of what it is. If you need help lemme know.

    So WALMART brand or Pay little bit more? Your decision!
  28. Senior Member
    madds87's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,904
    Rep Power
    98808
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    55.17%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Killerkanadia View Post
    I might not be the smartest person in the world but for about 7 months i've been taking 10g+ a day of fish oil, not really caring what brand it is.
    And i feel as though that is a smart idea! just be aware of toxic elements, some products may have.
  29. New Member
    terminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    102
    Rep Power
    171
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    98.19%

    wearedbleedblue-

    I apologize for going overboard and making comments in a demeaning way toward your credentials. It was unprofessional and again, I apologize.

    To the point that any fish oil is the same, as long as it has the same amount of DHA or EPA or both in terms of efficacy, that has some validity under the following circumstances: As long as the fish oil hasn't been over-exposed to UV light, heat, oxygen , etc. (the longer a bottle sits on the shelf and the longer you take to finish a large bottle of capsules, the greater the risk of it being rancid), and there aren't substantial detectable levels of PCBs, heavy metals, other metals and other contaminants, which may also have an affect on the efficacy of the active constituents.

    Bottom line- Refrigerate your fish oil as soon as you purchase it! Look for fish oil in glass bottles, if possible, choose bottles that are less likely to let damaging florescent or UV light in, buy from a store that refrigerates the product and choose your fish oil from reputable supplier, who is known for having low to non-detectable contaminants.
  30. Advanced Member
    wearedbleedblue's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    754
    Rep Power
    503
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    60.7%

    The company that supplies costco and sam's club brand fish oil is Ocean Nutrition Canada. They seem to be one of the top rated companies along with nordic naturals and carlson's. http://www.meg-3.com/aboutmeg3/highe...ity_and_safety
  31. Senior Member
    madds87's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,904
    Rep Power
    98808
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    55.17%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by wearedbleedblue View Post
    The company that supplies costco and sam's club brand fish oil is Ocean Nutrition Canada. They seem to be one of the top rated companies along with nordic naturals and carlson's. http://www.meg-3.com/aboutmeg3/highe...ity_and_safety
    Wow interesting. Nordic is not one of my favorites but but is a decent comapany. But thats good to know that a very cheap product can be trusted.
  32. New Member
    andrewcb's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  160 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    77
    Rep Power
    92
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    24.36%

    lol!! just take what makes you feel better.....if cheap **** works then hell go for it....if you feel a difference when you buy the more expensive **** then that works too....no reason to debate what ever works for you WORKS....placebo effect or not who cares
  33. Senior Member
    madds87's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,904
    Rep Power
    98808
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    55.17%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcb View Post
    lol!! just take what makes you feel better.....if cheap **** works then hell go for it....if you feel a difference when you buy the more expensive **** then that works too....no reason to debate what ever works for you WORKS....placebo effect or not who cares
    Lol well good thought process. Just a debate on whats quality. Thanx!
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. cod liver oil/fish oil question
    By elliotuk in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-20-2010, 10:19 AM
  2. Fish Oil Question
    By VolcomX311 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-11-2008, 07:15 PM
  3. Another question about the use of fish oil....
    By bizzare_777 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-14-2005, 11:38 PM
  4. Quick 1ad and fish oil question
    By Grant in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-11-2004, 10:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in