L-carnitine health, working out, and dose

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
A friend of mine told me to add in 1g of l-carnitine in the am and 1g pre workout. What is the health benefits, risks, and potential sides of this supplement. Does it have any added benefit to weight natural weight lifters?

ryanp81

ryanp81

Awards
  • Established
I would start at least 2 grams, preferably free base L-car in liquid or Fumurate which are a good solid base and then you could also thrown in some propionyl-l-car or GPLC, right now I'm using the GPLC by Jarrow which has Glycocarn and pnyl-l-car, I'm doing 4 caps pwo.....overall I'm really impressed with this combo and all I got to say is GLycocarn is the ****.

With the GPLC, I noticed a good increase and strength and it just put me in a good mood, my rest between sets where cut in half and it felt like I could go on forever.

1ArmMan

1ArmMan

Awards
It's an amino acid that helps transport fat cells. Is there negative sides ;-\?

ryanp81

ryanp81

Awards
  • Established
From what I hear at higher doses it can lead to stomach upset, but other than that no negatives, I love the carnitine's and so does my heart.

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
so then 1g in the am. and 2g pre w.o of free base would work out great? i use gplc and it sometimes give me stomach upset. esp when i drink coffee around the same time.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
so then 1g in the am. and 2g pre w.o of free base would work out great? i use gplc and it sometimes give me stomach upset. esp when i drink coffee around the same time.
that dosing schedule is solid.

E

Exercise123

Awards
L-carnitine works similar to creatine in the sense that it is saturated into the muscles. 2g a day will be enough to saturate.

The bioavailability of L-carnitine via orally, is terrible (<10%). To reap the benefits of beta oxidation an insulin spike is needed to transport L-carnitine into the muscles.

Francis B Stephens, Dumitru Constantin-Teodosiu, and Paul L Greenhaff. (2007), New insights concerning the role of carnitine in the regulation of fuel metabolism in skeletal muscle. The Journal of Physiology, 581, 431-444.

It has been established that muscle free carnitine availability may be limiting to fat oxidation during high intensity submaximal exercise. Furthermore, increasing muscle total carnitine content in resting healthy humans (via insulin-mediated stimulation of muscle carnitine transport) reduces muscle glycolysis, increases glycogen storage and is accompanied by an apparent increase in fat oxidation.

1newbie

Awards
L-carnitine works similar to creatine in the sense that it is saturated into the muscles. 2g a day will be enough to saturate.

The bioavailability of L-carnitine via orally, is terrible (<10%). To reap the benefits of beta oxidation an insulin spike is needed to transport L-carnitine into the muscles.

Francis B Stephens, Dumitru Constantin-Teodosiu, and Paul L Greenhaff. (2007), New insights concerning the role of carnitine in the regulation of fuel metabolism in skeletal muscle. The Journal of Physiology, 581, 431-444.
pardon the hijack, but if you are on a keto diet (no insulin spike) are there any benefits to carnitine?

E

Exercise123

Awards
pardon the hijack, but if you are on a keto diet (no insulin spike) are there any benefits to carnitine?
Then you will only get 10% of the total carnitine you ingest orally. A lot of it will be lost through the various pathways it must pass, such as first-pass metabolism. A drug must pass through the digestive system on to the liver. Many drugs are greatly consumed by the liver. Not every drug can bypass the liver completely, orally. It is a ratio of how many active ingredients actually make it pass the liver, thus revealing a positive effect of the drug. With an insulin spike, the liver is avoided, well depending on the volume of insulin. Anyways a greater ratio of active chemicals will surpass the liver. This is also why taking drugs on an empty stomach is so potent at times. (Although some drugs are best taken with food and are synergistic with metabolites)

What's your reasoning behind a keto diet?

1newbie

Awards
Not really keto, but trying to carb cycle to get through a plateau on my cut (most of carbs through oatmeal which my body seems to like the best on a cut because I stay feeling 'full' without a ton of carbs) to tighten up the last little bit (two weeks before I leave) for beach wedding/honeymoon. Will go back to normal cut upon returning. Currently bouncing between 80g and 250g complex carbs/day. Diet super strict - zero simple sugars. First time trying it and seems pretty effective at getting through my plateau. Is it true that the naringin (sp?) in grapefruit juice helps bypass breakdown in the liver? How little grapefruit juice can be effective? 4 oz? Trying to learn more every single day.

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
oral is the only way to take carnitine right? or are there other methods.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
I've dosed ALCAR pretty high, with no side effects. One thing you do have to be careful of, is the increase in free radicals. Make sure you get plenty of antioxidents.

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
so then would arginocarn by PP be the best choice? There are no sides from it like blurry vision ect.. right

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
I haven't tried that kind. I live on ALCAR. I love the cognitive effect.

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
which brand do you use? and at what dose / time of day?

Thanks m8

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
which brand do you use? and at what dose / time of day?

Thanks m8
Brand: Nutraplanet Bulk

Dose: 1500-2200mg x3 daily. Usually in the morning, pre-workout, post-workout.
Sometimes I might throw in another dose somewhere depending on if I need a mental energy boost.

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
Brand: Nutraplanet Bulk

Dose: 1500-2200mg x3 daily. Usually in the morning, pre-workout, post-workout.
Sometimes I might throw in another dose somewhere depending on if I need a mental energy boost.
thanks m8. the cog effects would help on college tests? or more of energy for ed

coldseed

coldseed

Awards
From what I have read:
Start off with 500 mg on an empty stomach. This is a completely safe dose that can help the body adjust to its presence.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
thanks m8. the cog effects would help on college tests? or more of energy for ed
That, I couldn't tell ya. It makes me more alert, and I guess a little more focused.

If I woke up from a nap, feeling groggy, withIn a couple of minutes I would be much more awake.