egg whites from the shell vs. egg whites from the carton

Exercise123

Awards
The sodium may be slightly higher. I noticed it on a carton I bought. One serving was 13g protein and 200mg sodium; with 2 whole eggs there would be ~13g protein ~100mg sodium.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Theres the whole issue of biotin depletion in the from the shell whites (if used raw) as well as how bioavailable the protein is in the from the shell whites (if raw). If you are cooking, not an issue.

TheBig3

Awards
I think nutritionally they are pretty much the same. They usually pasteurize the ones in the cartons I believe

Chest

Awards
I think they are pretty much the same, with either one youre still gonna get quality protein

AjdUsmc

AjdUsmc

Awards
I think nutritionally they are pretty much the same. They usually pasteurize the ones in the cartons I believe
yea i noticed that on the back of one of the cartons, it exctually recommened it being put into a protein shake, which tells me it there would be little to no chance of salmonella or i guess it could be drunk straight from the carton for a quick protein snack.

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
I say in the shell, even though I think the other's are right in that they're the same... something about egg whites being poured out of cardboard instead of cracking the shell that bugs me.

However, I would be careful about the eggs lately with the recall in effect.

PoppaNick88

Awards
Im a carton man myself. Quick, easy, and theres pretty much no difference in nutrition facts. Just once you open a carton, you have to finish it within like 4-5 days or it goes bad. Its easy if you just eat them everyday.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I drink quite a bit of egg whites, so I use the pasteurized ones. The ones i eat(whole/white) are from the shell.

mmacrazy

mmacrazy

Awards
  • Established
I did notice my wife bought cartoned egg whites and it had maltodextrin in it. Not a huge deal I guess but I assume "real" egg doesnt have that