Pre Workout Meal - Fat or No Fat?

hockeyroom28

Awards
I'm bulking right now, and I have time for 5 meals before my workout...

Pro/Carbs
Pro/Fat
Pro/Fat
Pro/Carbs
5) Approximately 90 minutes before workout

Should I have fat in my preworkout meal? I've read slow digesting carbs + protein are ideal, but I can't find any insight on fat.

I also take a preworkout NO drink approximately 30 minutes before workout.

Thanks!

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Have you read studies that show that pro+slow carbs is ideal or is that just forum reading? You seem to be separating your carbs and fats so my advice wouldn't apply to you anyways. I like mixed meals with a small amount of carbs in it.

hockeyroom28

Awards
I'm not really trying to separate, thats just how it works easiest for me.

It would be easy for me to eat a fat/pro (and carbs) meal 90 mins before workout - I just don't know if its the right thing to do. Are there any drawbacks of eating fat before workout? Any advantages?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not really either advantages or drawbacks, so long as you are eating enough low gi carbs during the rest of the day

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Most of your energy needed for exercise is going to come from carbohydrates, some from fats, and very little from protein (assuming weightlifting or moderate-intense cardio).

Exercise123

Awards
I would suggest having a proper portion of fats, proteins, and carbohydrates in each meal. If one meal is just protein and fat, what if your protein source and fat source are not complete proteins? Maybe the two you've chosen will complete each other, maybe not. It would be best to include all three macronutrients into a proper portion size meal. Is it best to have all your protein in 2/5 meals? Will it all of it be absorbed? Is all of it needed? How much will be utilized? How much will be stored as body fat? (Same goes with all the other two macronutrients)

The pre-workout meal should be similar to the "ideal meal" (25-30% protein) (50-55% carbohydrate) (20% fat) consisting of complex carbohydrates, some fats, and whole food proteins. Food (complex carbohydrates, ideal meals) takes up to three hours to fully digest. At that point is when I would recommend working out. Otherwise you risk gastrointestinal distress, as prior to the three hour mark, blood is circulating around the organs, digesting the food. When training commences, blood is drawn from the organs into the muscles. A carbohydrate/protein powder mix is not recommended prior to working out as the simple carbohydrates will create an insulin spike. An insulin spike prior to working out will significantly decrease the preceding GH response during and after training. When you eat insulin rises and your body enters a state of Hyperglycemia, where high insulin levels will inhibit growth hormone. Further, consumption of simple carbohydrates prior to working out or at any time will inevitable cause a crash, or a state known as Hypoglycemia. Entering a training workout in a state of Hypoglycemia will present many risks. There will be little amounts of available blood glucose for energy since the insulin increase from the simple carbohydrates has moved the majority of available glucose into the muscles or other energy depots. In a Hypoglycemia state, the blood glucose is already in the muscles and the exercised induced muscles demand glucose as well. This will present dangerously low glucose levels in the body which can lead to decreased motivation, nausea, dizziness, etc.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Most of your energy needed for exercise is going to come from carbohydrates, some from fats, and very little from protein (assuming weightlifting or moderate-intense cardio).
Why not rely on glycogen instead of ingested carbs...then your body with shift easily into fat as fuel as glycogen stores are compromised.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Why not rely on glycogen instead of ingested carbs...then your body with shift easily into fat as fuel as glycogen stores are compromised.
The ingestion of carbohydrates serve to replenish glycogen and maintain a homeostatic or steady state (assuming not very high intensity nor hot/humid environment) blood glucose value. Resistance training typically recruits type II muscle fibers which are highly glycolytic and not very oxidative. So, depending on the exercise, in this case resistance training, glycogen will supply most of the energy needed for muscular contraction. Glycogen is used moreover than glucose given its storage within the muscle is in a greater concentration and does not have to be taken up by a muscle fiber and is phosphorylated without the use of ATP during the inital conversion to glucose 6-phosphate, whereas glucose requires one ATP to be phosphorylated giving you more ATP through substrate phosphorylation than glucose.

Given that resistance training recruits type II muscle fibers and their glycolytic nature, one can conclude when glycogen stores are low the onset of peripheral fatigue will set in. These muscle fibers cannot attain the same amount of ATP as quickly through oxidative phosphorylation. Also note that when glycogen stores are low and blood glucose is low central fatigue can also occur. There are several other mechanisms for peripheral fatigue, but the glycolytic mechanism answers your question.

Hopefully you get the gist of what I'm pitching out. If not, let me know and I'll try to explain in a different way.

PoppaNick88

Awards
I would def take in atleast 45g of complex carbs and 15-20 g from monounsaturated fat with 30 - 50 grams of protein 90 min. b4 workout. Ive noticed that fats increase my pumps alot with the carbs.

maivaz

Awards
effects of macronutrient mixing are for the most part myths...the most important thing to remember is that fat slows down digestion, whether it be saturated or not. this does not mean don't eat fats, it just means do not take them before or immediately after your workout. during both times nutrients need to be digested as quickly as possible in order to create optimal glycogen stores. idk why eating fat preworkout would give you a pump, it would only fill your stomach up which would draw blood to it instead of the muscles. kind of counterproductive