How to lower my triglycerides and up HDL

  1. How to lower my triglycerides and up HDL


    So I am taking a nutrition class in college and we had a fee blood test for a project. I tested out borderline high for triglycerides and just normal for HDL.

    So my question,

    How do i lower my blood triglycerides and up HDL?


  2. First question, your current cardio and fat regiment?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  3. Quote Originally Posted by qwerty33 View Post
    So I am taking a nutrition class in college and we had a fee blood test for a project. I tested out borderline high for triglycerides and just normal for HDL.

    So my question,

    How do i lower my blood triglycerides and up HDL?
    Your nutrition class should teach you this lol. In all seriousness though, upping the cardio, increasing fiber intake(preferably soluable) and small amounts of red wine will help raise hdl. For the TAG's watch your overall sugar intake. A lower carb diet will help lower that number coupled with the fiber and cardio sessions. If you have high ldl make sure to monitor your total saturated fat intake.
    ~ Nothing can kill the Grimace!!


    •   
       


  4. sounds good. my ldl was fine my hdl was 41. lower than 40 is risk so couldnt hurt to increase it. would good fats, omega-3 ect.. help wit hdl as well?

    my cardio is very low atm. that need to change.

    would my trig be raised because i have a good amount of mass on my body? or does that have nothing to do with it. I eat healthy not on a low carb diet but whole grains and foods.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by qwerty33 View Post
    sounds good. my ldl was fine my hdl was 41. lower than 40 is risk so couldnt hurt to increase it. would good fats, omega-3 ect.. help wit hdl as well?

    my cardio is very low atm. that need to change.

    would my trig be raised because i have a good amount of mass on my body? or does that have nothing to do with it. I eat healthy not on a low carb diet but whole grains and foods.
    It's blood triglycerides. Basically, a number per unit defines how much is circulating in your body and isn't being taken up by cells. If your triglycerides are high, try consuming less fats in your diet. Also, metabolism of alcohol can produce VLDL-c. So, if you consume a lot of alcohol you should cut that out as well. Carbohydrates will induce a release of insulin which signals the uptake of carbohydrates and fats into the cell. Cardiovascular/respiratory exercise will signal production of HDL-c which also promotes reductions in LDL-c. HDL-c over 60 mg/dL is considered a positive risk factor in risk stratification because of its cardioprotective nature.

  6. omega 3's will help with the TAG's. The only avenues that positively effect hdl are the ones previously mentioned(that i know of). Get that cardio up!!! Go for a few 30min walks during the week, try to get in a least 4-5 sessions per week. If you are holding a large amount of mass, then a diet stressing lower kcal consumption in general to loose weight will aid in lowering your triglycerides. Eat lots of fruits and veggies, avoid sugar and alcohol(and in general anything you perceive to be bad for you) and you should see some improvement.
    ~ Nothing can kill the Grimace!!



  7. i have mass muscle and not fat just to clarify. when you say to eat less fat in my diet. does that include healthy fats as well? like do i need to cut down on the almond milk as well

  8. Quote Originally Posted by qwerty33 View Post
    i have mass muscle and not fat just to clarify. when you say to eat less fat in my diet. does that include healthy fats as well? like do i need to cut down on the almond milk as well
    Saturated fat would be would be the thing to watch, almond milk works fine. Post up a daily diet and maybe we can help you dial it in a little.
    ~ Nothing can kill the Grimace!!



  9. will do when i get a sec. ill put up a list of what i normally eat.

  10. Does your family have a history of Diabetes?
    RcB Since 09-06-2011 20:55 EST, Post 49

  11. Raise HDL-

    Proven in studies-

    Slo-Niacin, (High Dosed Niacin protocols are generally doctor supervised)... But Slo-Niacin is OTC and has been very effective for most users.... Start at 250mg ED and move up.

    Cocoa powder, 2 to 1 with sugar...I think the study used 25g of cocoa to 12 grams of sugar

    Cranberry Juice

    Omegas

    Cardio

    Cut out transfat

    No smoking or alcohol

    Fiber

    Genetics
  12. Former Marine, UT-BSN, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, CSCS

  13. thansk guys and no i do not have a family history of Diabetes. just got some blood work back after being of PH for 5 mths and have hdl 41 and high triglycerides. Also could be effected by a college lifestyle but i my diet is healthy minus alcohol on the weekends

  14. nice post kingkong
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Muscle Milk Affect on Triglycerides
    By joebo in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-19-2009, 02:22 PM
  2. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-05-2008, 04:06 AM
  3. Lower Triglycerides supplements
    By UNCfan1 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-12-2007, 07:28 AM
  4. GH and triglycerides
    By sidnee in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-03-2006, 06:44 AM
  5. Physiological effects of medium-chain triglycerides
    By ArnoldIsMyIdol in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-11-2006, 08:37 PM
Log in
Log in