How to lower my triglycerides and up HDL

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
So I am taking a nutrition class in college and we had a fee blood test for a project. I tested out borderline high for triglycerides and just normal for HDL.

So my question,

How do i lower my blood triglycerides and up HDL?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
First question, your current cardio and fat regiment?

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So I am taking a nutrition class in college and we had a fee blood test for a project. I tested out borderline high for triglycerides and just normal for HDL.

So my question,

How do i lower my blood triglycerides and up HDL?
Your nutrition class should teach you this lol. In all seriousness though, upping the cardio, increasing fiber intake(preferably soluable) and small amounts of red wine will help raise hdl. For the TAG's watch your overall sugar intake. A lower carb diet will help lower that number coupled with the fiber and cardio sessions. If you have high ldl make sure to monitor your total saturated fat intake.

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
sounds good. my ldl was fine my hdl was 41. lower than 40 is risk so couldnt hurt to increase it. would good fats, omega-3 ect.. help wit hdl as well?

my cardio is very low atm. that need to change.

would my trig be raised because i have a good amount of mass on my body? or does that have nothing to do with it. I eat healthy not on a low carb diet but whole grains and foods.

R

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
sounds good. my ldl was fine my hdl was 41. lower than 40 is risk so couldnt hurt to increase it. would good fats, omega-3 ect.. help wit hdl as well?

my cardio is very low atm. that need to change.

would my trig be raised because i have a good amount of mass on my body? or does that have nothing to do with it. I eat healthy not on a low carb diet but whole grains and foods.
It's blood triglycerides. Basically, a number per unit defines how much is circulating in your body and isn't being taken up by cells. If your triglycerides are high, try consuming less fats in your diet. Also, metabolism of alcohol can produce VLDL-c. So, if you consume a lot of alcohol you should cut that out as well. Carbohydrates will induce a release of insulin which signals the uptake of carbohydrates and fats into the cell. Cardiovascular/respiratory exercise will signal production of HDL-c which also promotes reductions in LDL-c. HDL-c over 60 mg/dL is considered a positive risk factor in risk stratification because of its cardioprotective nature.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
omega 3's will help with the TAG's. The only avenues that positively effect hdl are the ones previously mentioned(that i know of). Get that cardio up!!! Go for a few 30min walks during the week, try to get in a least 4-5 sessions per week. If you are holding a large amount of mass, then a diet stressing lower kcal consumption in general to loose weight will aid in lowering your triglycerides. Eat lots of fruits and veggies, avoid sugar and alcohol(and in general anything you perceive to be bad for you) and you should see some improvement.

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
i have mass muscle and not fat just to clarify. when you say to eat less fat in my diet. does that include healthy fats as well? like do i need to cut down on the almond milk as well

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i have mass muscle and not fat just to clarify. when you say to eat less fat in my diet. does that include healthy fats as well? like do i need to cut down on the almond milk as well
Saturated fat would be would be the thing to watch, almond milk works fine. Post up a daily diet and maybe we can help you dial it in a little.

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
will do when i get a sec. ill put up a list of what i normally eat.

S

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Does your family have a history of Diabetes?

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
Raise HDL-

Proven in studies-

Slo-Niacin, (High Dosed Niacin protocols are generally doctor supervised)... But Slo-Niacin is OTC and has been very effective for most users.... Start at 250mg ED and move up.

Cocoa powder, 2 to 1 with sugar...I think the study used 25g of cocoa to 12 grams of sugar

Cranberry Juice

Omegas

Cardio

Cut out transfat

No smoking or alcohol

Fiber

Genetics

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
thansk guys and no i do not have a family history of Diabetes. just got some blood work back after being of PH for 5 mths and have hdl 41 and high triglycerides. Also could be effected by a college lifestyle but i my diet is healthy minus alcohol on the weekends