protein shake before bed

austinfrench5

Awards
hey guys, i drink a protein shake every night right before bed. Should i be mixing it with water instead of fat free milk like i am right now. its only about 30 carbs worth of milk but im not sure whether that is too much right before bed. I am starting a bulking phase but a friend told me that even during a bulking phase carbs right before bed are not good. Any suggestions?

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Some will say yes, some will say no. I say give it a go for a couple of weeks, and see what works for you. The argument is that the carbs will possibly hinder GH response. The same can be argued post-workout.

I myself try to keep my carbs for daytime. But I do eat dinner later in the evening, so carbs are always present. I just don't consume any before I go to sleep. I try to stick with just casein proteins.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
hey guys, i drink a protein shake every night right before bed. Should i be mixing it with water instead of fat free milk like i am right now. its only about 30 carbs worth of milk but im not sure whether that is too much right before bed. I am starting a bulking phase but a friend told me that even during a bulking phase carbs right before bed are not good. Any suggestions?
As lonewolf0420 mentioned, some people will say not to, but I don't see any reason why you can't use milk with your protein shake. I personally would use water because I'm not a fan of milk, but it really comes down to what works best for YOU.

Addison Brown

Awards
Hi friend,
As soon as you've had your workout - after your workout, your body enters a stage of recovery and growth, and it is in this stage that your muscles need the amino acids whey protein can provide. Just before bed - When we sleep, the protein in our bodies will naturally break down, so having a protein shake before you sleep can be an excellent way to prevent this breakdown. If you aren't trying to 'bulk up', though, and are just looking to tone, you should be OK skipping this protein shake - otherwise, you'll want to try to minimize any breakdown that occurs while you sleep.

Thanks
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established
Hi friend,
As soon as you've had your workout - after your workout, your body enters a stage of recovery and growth, and it is in this stage that your muscles need the amino acids whey protein can provide. Just before bed - When we sleep, the protein in our bodies will naturally break down, so having a protein shake before you sleep can be an excellent way to prevent this breakdown. If you aren't trying to 'bulk up', though, and are just looking to tone, you should be OK skipping this protein shake - otherwise, you'll want to try to minimize any breakdown that occurs while you sleep.

Thanks
Bariatricfoodproducts.com
Agreed. When I am hardcore cut dieting I stick with whey protein isolate in water only PWO and whey isolate in water with some Natural PB before bed. Otherwise before bed I'll use cottage cheese as it is much more satiating and digests MUCH slower increasing the duration of amino acid delievery to the cells while you sleep.

BEAST

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
While there is a small amount of insulin released from skim milk, it shouldn't have a real world affect on your GH release. If you can spare the extra calories for it, go ahead. It tastes better anyways.

Exercise123

Awards
I have 3 cups of milk roughly an hour before bed which is equivalent to 30g of simple carbohydrates like you stated. I'm fairly certain the simple carbohydrates will digest within an hour, given their structure. Leaving me with ~27g of protein through the night.

So if you are consuming 30g of milk carbohydrates, that is three cups of milk? At that volume of milk and milk caseins present, I wouldn't see a need for the casein protein powder at all.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you are really concerned about the carbs, but want to use milk, you can find Hood Calorie Countdown skim milk

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 cup (240mL)
Amount per Serving
Calories 45 Calories from Fat 0
% Daily Values
Total Fat 0g 1%
Saturated Fat 0g 1%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 160mg 7%
Total Carbohydrate 3g 1%
Fiber 0g 1%
Sugar 3g
Protein 8g 16%

Vitamin A 10% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 30% Iron 0%
Vitamin D 25%

CONTAINS: MILK

jgraves31

jgraves31

Awards
Been unable to find the skim version of this milk - only the 2% variety

EasyEJL - what retailer do you find it at?

TheBig3

Awards
Before bed I always make protein sludge...just mix protein with natty by and some water. You get your protein and some good fats before bed. Not to mention low in carbs if you are worried

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Been unable to find the skim version of this milk - only the 2% variety

EasyEJL - what retailer do you find it at?
I buy it at Sweetbay, but I don't think they are truly a national chain, more like a southern chain. But any grocery store that carries the 2% can get the skim, so just go to the customer service desk and ask them to special order in 2 half gallons a week for you :)

cbr1000rr

cbr1000rr

Awards
  • Established
just go with a casein shake before bed.. i like the feeling of waking up and not being starving. milk or water; whatever works for you. i personally go with 2% milk

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I use a casein blend (dymatize elite fusion 7) with a cup of hood milk 2%, and a scoop of fiberteq (VPX), so far no weight gain in the form of fat.