What artificial sweetners have been show n to case problems.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
List some so we all can avoid them if we whant to.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I don't think any of them have been proven to cause problems, atleast that's what the companies that make them say. Aspartame has the warning that it contains phenylalanine which may interfer with some medications or conditions. If you don't feel comfortable with them you can stick to stevia or xylitol but too much xylitol can cause stomach dicomfort.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Unless you're consuming massive amounts of them, there's really no worry unless you have PKU.

Chest

Awards
None are really bad at all. Some people say aspartame will take you out of ketosis but that doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe someone can clarify that? As far as sweeteners go i personally like stevia and i think that one is the best.

Sweekaters

Awards
None have been proven to be bad for you. With that said there are obviously no studies done on the long term effects of artificial sweeteners, but I can't imagine them being bad even in large doses. I stick with Splenda (sucralose), it is derived from sugar, so it tastes good and it free from any bad side effects.

"Sucralose is made by a multi-step process that starts with ordinary table sugar (sucrose) and replaces three hydrogen-oxygen groups on the sugar molecule with three chlorine atoms. This results in a stable sweetener that tastes like sugar, but is calorie-free."

smark

Awards
The best thing to do is avoid all artificial and chemical sweetener substitutes. They have NO food value, trick the body into thinking it is eating something sweet, and they have by-products of harmful toxic side effects. And remember that aspartame was discovered as an ulcer drug, not a sweetener. Every diet drink you used to drink was a dose of medication .

bradleywiens

bradleywiens

Awards
  • Established
I use Stevia now in place of Splenda. It's 100% natural with zero cals. It has a slight aftertaste, but you get used to it after a while.

Exercise123

Awards
I try and stay away from any sweetness as I can, yes that means refraining from many processed products, which I'm capable of. Honestly, it is the way to go. I've noticed sweetness sets off a trigger in my brain, possible some norepinephrine whether it be stevia, sucralose or sugar, etc. Yes, so now I mostly live a life stevia/artificial sweetener free. Sometimes I make a purchase of whey with sucralose, mainly because I run out of protein powder and can't find and unflavored/unsweetened product in a retail store. But overall, I'm telling you an unsweetened/unflavored route is the one to follow. I Now a days I love the taste of BCAA plain, casein powder plain or piracetam plain, etc, etc. It tastes great!

Now 180 that

The best sweetener mix, in my opinion, would be stevia/sucralose OR sucraleen brand sweetener from VPX. (Wish they made some better products because that artificial sweetener tastes the best) I do think it is a good idea to mix stevia with an artificial sweetener. Artificial sweeteners are very acidic and stevia is heavily alkaline concentrated. Mix the two and you should cancel out the acidic pH.

Chest

Awards
Stay away from aspartame. I watched a whole video on how bad it is for you, it looks pretty serious. Watch the video its real good its called "sweet misery a poisoned world"

terminator

terminator

Awards
Sucralose (Splenda) - Sucralose or chlorinated sugar may destroy beneficial bacteria (probiotics) in the body. We know what happens when we don't have enough beneficial bacteria to keep pathogenic or bad bacteria under control.

Aspartame- Aspartame will eventually break-down into formaldehyde, also a toxin, which can accumulate in your cells and result in severe health consequences.

The EPA has determined formaldehyde causes cancer in humans. Specifically, it is known to increase your risk of breast or prostate cancer.

Incidents of both types of cancer have been on the rise at a pace closely associated with the expanding use of aspartame throughout the world.

If you suffer from PKU, the phenylalanine accumulation can actually lead to mental retardation.

High Fructose Corn Syrup- much of the supply is contaminated with higher than normal mercury levels.

So in closing, I would suggest the sweeteners that many have mentioned above: Stevia, Xylitol, and lo han guo, if you're looking for the safest sweeteners.

Chest

Awards
def man those are all good choices. if you guys are interested in another really good video to watch. watch sugar the bitter truth