how many omega is enough omega?

andrewcb

Awards
so i dont eat fish or any of that kind of stuff so i went to my local store here and bought 2 different kinds of hemp oil.....was planning on taking 1 serving of each oil(1 tbsp=1serving)

that would give me
omega-3 5g
omega-6 13g
omega-9 5g

i also take 2tbsp of some flaxseeds
omega-3 3.6g

im on a bulk and was wondering if this is plenty of omega or should i ramp it up some more?

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
you wanna shoot for a 1:1 omega 6 to 3 ratio. this is why peanuts suck, for example, too much 6 and no 3. flaxseed is alright, but its plant made and differences in absorbtion, etc. best way to go is to take actual fish oil and man up and eat fish. especially on a bulk, fish gives a ton of calories because fats = 8 cals a gram + protein.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
all fats have omega 6 but only a few have omega 3. seriously, eat fish and take fishoil

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
all fats have omega 6 but only a few have omega 3. seriously, eat fish and take fishoil
Saturated fats dont have double bonds, and so aren't classified by the omega system.

But you're right, Omega-3s do also contain a double bond at the Omega-6 carbon, and omega-9 carbon too I think.

I'm all about fish oil.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Omega 6 and 9 are abundant in the typical diet but omega-3 is usually very low. So you'd want to try to eat fish or some sort atleast 3-4 days a week. You can find the level of mercury typical to each fish online. If your eating a lot of fish you'd want to pick the fish that has a lower mercury level. As far as supplemention goes it's very difficult to know exactly how much to take because it's very hard to know exactly how much of the other omega's your getting in. A good maintenance level is 2-3 grams a day.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
2:1 - 3:1 is fine for overall health. People can have issues with blood thinning if you go too high in n-3.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Furthermore, its much more important to shoot for high levels of EPA/DHA which is found more in fish oil than flax/walnuts.

Exercise123

Awards
Yes, exactly, Omega 3's are ALA, DHA, and EPA. Chances are, once again, you as with most will most likely consume an adaquete amount of ALA's. Now it takes up to 10g of ALA to convert into one gram of EPA/DHA. EPA/DHA are the known Omega 3's that support heart and brain health, amongst many other benefits.

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established
so i dont eat fish or any of that kind of stuff so i went to my local store here and bought 2 different kinds of hemp oil.....was planning on taking 1 serving of each oil(1 tbsp=1serving)

that would give me
omega-3 5g
omega-6 13g
omega-9 5g

i also take 2tbsp of some flaxseeds
omega-3 3.6g

im on a bulk and was wondering if this is plenty of omega or should i ramp it up some more?
Most people get more than enough omega 6s and 9s from their diets alone. If you are deficient in an omega fatty acid it will usually be omega-3. If you ingest nuts or natural PB or oils, as you should be, you will further shift that omega3:6:9 ratio out of balance. The only way to balance it out is to supplement with multiple grams of fish oil (pure omega-3 fatty acids) per day. I recommend 4-6 grams a day for the average person. For bodybuilders such as myself I recommend a much higher amount of fish oil per day, say 10-20 grams per day. I routinely take 15-20 grams of fish oil everyday year round.

BEAST

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
I like this rule of thumb for fish oil: Estimated bodyfat percentage in grams per day for 4 weeks. From then on out, 1/2 bodyfat percentage a day as maintenance. This is total grams of fish oil, not epa/dha. Otherwise, you can up your oil until you get oily discharge when you have a bowel movement and cut back the dosage from there.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
For the last year ive experimented with different amounts of serving sizes and found the best area to be 5-6 grams a day and on weekends i usually go to 2-3 a day i dont know why but i have been doing this and love the results

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
For the last year ive experimented with different amounts of serving sizes and found the best area to be 5-6 grams a day and on weekends i usually go to 2-3 a day i dont know why but i have been doing this and love the results
We all have opinions of how many grams per day of Fish oil is best, but how do you actually know? What benefits do you feel or notice? I personally notice nothinbg but fish burps. Lol.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Ive heard from a few people a 4:1 omega 3 to 6 ratio most people are at 1:20 and dont realize it its better to get your omegas from whole foods you really dont need much more then 12 ounces of fish a week and some walnuts to reach adequate levels supplementing with omega 3 would be the only real thing you may need to get a few more grams in there.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
well supplementing with extra essential fatty acids is always a good idea. your endocrine, digestion, anti-oxidation systems all benefit from eating extra fishoil. it will lubricate your joints and help regulate your skin's oil levels. there are many benefits besides just meeting the 3:6 balance.

cmc

cmc

Awards
My buddy was taken some pharma grade krill oil (liquid). He was taking so much that at the gym I could smell fish coming out of his pores....unless it was his breath... lol