Raw eggs

Pipes

Awards
  • Established
In the morning I have a 1 scoop protein shake with 1 banana, 1 scoop peanut butter, and 1 raw egg, about 1 cup of milk 2%. Point being lol.. whats up with the raw egg?? A little too much Rocky influence?

Ive read that raw eggs are easier for the body to digest and are actually healthier than hard boiled eggs. Both have the same amount of protien(6g) and fat(5g) Apparently its also supposed to help your immune system and other such benefits. I read an interesting arcticle about it.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In the morning I have a 1 scoop protein shake with 1 banana, 1 scoop peanut butter, and 1 raw egg, about 1 cup of milk 2%. Point being lol.. whats up with the raw egg?? A little too much Rocky influence?

Ive read that raw eggs are easier for the body to digest and are actually healthier than hard boiled eggs. Both have the same amount of protien(6g) and fat(5g) Apparently its also supposed to help your immune system and other such benefits. I read an interesting arcticle about it.
well, you've read wrong. the protein in raw unpasteurized eggs is not usable by the human body.

Dizmal

Dizmal

Awards
  • Established
well, you've read wrong. the protein in raw unpasteurized eggs is not usable by the human body.
Source? I've always heard the opposite... That cooking takes away some of the bioavailablility of some of the nutritious things in eggs.

<-- Eats 4-6 raw eggs a day and has had great results since switching to raw

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you read wrong as in you read wrong information :)

Egg proteins contribute substantially to the daily nitrogen allowances in Western countries and are generally considered to be highly digestible. However, information is lacking on the true ileal digestibility of either raw or cooked egg protein. The recent availability of stable isotope-labeled egg protein allowed determination of the true ileal digestibility of egg protein by means of noninvasive tracer techniques. Five ileostomy patients were studied, once after ingestion of a test meal consisting of 25 g of cooked 13C- and 15N-labeled egg protein, and once after ingestion of the same test meal in raw form. Ileal effluents and breath samples were collected at regular intervals after consumption of the test meal and analyzed for 15N- and 13C-content, respectively. The true ileal digestibility of cooked and raw egg protein amounted to 90.9 ± 0.8 and 51.3 ± 9.8%, respectively. A significant negative correlation (r = 0.92, P < 0.001) was found between the 13C-recovery in breath and the recovery of exogenous N in the ileal effluents. In summary, using the 15N-dilution technique we demonstrated that the assimilation of cooked egg protein is efficient, albeit incomplete, and that the true ileal digestibility of egg protein is significantly enhanced by heat-pretreatment. A simple 13C-breath test technique furthermore proved to be a suitable alternative for the evaluation of the true ileal digestibility of egg protein.
http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/128/10/1716?ref=http://jerli.net

Note that pasteurized egg whites like what they sell in the carton do fall into the category of cooked, as they were heat processed enough to count as cooked.

also

Studies attempting to evaluate protein assimilation in humans have hitherto relied on either ileostomy subjects or intubation techniques. The availability of stable isotope-labeled protein allowed us to determine the amount and fate of dietary protein escaping digestion and absorption in the small intestine of healthy volunteers using noninvasive tracer techniques. Ten healthy volunteers were studied once after ingestion of a cooked test meal, consisting of 25 g of 13C-, 15N-, and 2H-labeled egg protein, and once after ingestion of the same but raw meal. Amounts of 5.73% and 35.10% (P < 0.005) of cooked and raw test meal, respectively, escaped digestion and absorption in the small intestine. A significantly higher percentage of the malabsorbed raw egg protein was recovered in urine as fermentation metabolites. These results 1) confirm that substantial amounts of even easily digestible proteins may escape assimilation in healthy volunteers and 2) further support the hypothesis that the metabolic fate of protein in the colon is affected by the amount of protein made available.

protein fermentation; protein assimilation; stable isotopes; phenols
http://ajpgi.physiology.org/cgi/content/abstract/277/5/G935

so you minimally waste 1/3 of the egg proten if eaten raw, possibly as much as 1/2. As well as exposing yourself to salmonella of course :D

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Source? I've always heard the opposite... That cooking takes away some of the bioavailablility of some of the nutritious things in eggs.

<-- Eats 4-6 raw eggs a day and has had great results since switching to raw
now this is sort of right, it does change some of the fatty acids in the yolk if the eggs are cooked any way but boiled in the shell. some of the fatty acids rapidly oxidize if there is any exposure to oxygen, and some oxidize just from exposure to heat. But from the pure protein perspective, if you are taking in the eggs raw, you ought to count them as 1/2 the amount of protein.

Dizmal

Dizmal

Awards
  • Established
Denaturation (biochemistry) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When food is cooked, some of its proteins become denatured. This is why boiled eggs become hard and cooked meat becomes firm.

A classic example of denaturing in proteins comes from egg whites, which are largely egg albumins in water. Fresh from the eggs, egg whites are transparent and liquid. But by cooking they are turned opaque and white, and form an interconnected solid mass.

Denaturation is the major change in protein or nucleic acid structure by application of some external stress for example, treatment of proteins with strong acids or bases, high concentrations of inorganic salts or organic solvents (e.g., alcohol or chloroform), heat ,which results in improper functioning of cell activity. Denatured proteins can exhibit a wide range of characteristics, from loss of solubility to communal aggregation. Proteins are very long strands of amino acids linked together in specific sequences.

A protein is created by ribosomes that "read" codons in the gene and assemble the requisite amino acid combination from the genetic instruction, in a process known as translation.

Most biological proteins lose their biological function when denatured. For example, enzymes lose their catalytic activity, because the substrates can no longer bind to the active site, and because amino acid residues involved in stabilizing substrates' transition states are no longer positioned to be able to do so.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
in the yolk, the most interesting one that gets destroyed in cooking other than hard boiled is Arachidonic Acid, which is whats in x-factor. Each raw egg yolk has around 70mg of arachidonic acid in it, so 12 raw yolks a day does add up to a gram roughly of it, which is the standard dose. Do that for a month and you'd get noticeable results

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
right, thats exactly what you want. One of the enzymes that is present in the egg is what is responsible for the egg protein being less available. I can find the name if you'd like.

Protein denaturation doesn't "remove" protein, merely changes some of its structure, primarily changing texture. Nowhere in there does it say it lowers bioavailability. So i'd take multiple peer reviewed medical studies over someones generalizations in wikipedia any time.

Dizmal

Dizmal

Awards
  • Established
Eh, whatever. I'm going to keep on eating them raw. Been a few months now and I've seen great gains and still leaning out. I don't eat them for just the protein anywho.

Just wash the shell with hot water and a touch of soap before adding them to a shake and you're set. Plus, they make shakes taste much better!

Pipes

Awards
  • Established
Are you throwing the entire egg in? With the shell? I just crack it lol. You know, people also say that steroids are bad for you too. But clearly those people are wrong.

Dizmal

Dizmal

Awards
  • Established
Haha no, no shell. I wash it cause half the time the whites will touch the outer shell when cracking/splitting and who knows how clean they really are.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are you throwing the entire egg in? With the shell? I just crack it lol. You know, people also say that steroids are bad for you too. But clearly those people are wrong.
people say it because of lack of knowledge, but published medical studies are factual.

dropshot001

Awards
If you are eating them raw and seeing results, don't change it

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
In high school i was working out and running distance, and i wasn't improving very fast. Then i watched rocky, got motivated, and started drinking raw eggs. My improvements sky rocketed!

Eating mom's eggs was a lot cheaper than affording whey protein at the time. It's still fun to gross out your friends time to time when you tell them you will eat a raw egg.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
I thought eggs were bad until i tried whiskey.

Pipes

Awards
  • Established
people say it because of lack of knowledge, but published medical studies are factual.

There are published med studies on the consumption of raw eggs? You by chance have any links or know where I could check that out?

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys for not making a joke about me "eatting my mom's eggs"

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There are published med studies on the consumption of raw eggs? You by chance have any links or know where I could check that out?
I posted 2 links above, there are more as it was one of the more studied proteins because of the links to eating the yolks and high cholesterol + heart attacks. One of the other major reasons to avoid raw whites is that they contain avidin, which binds to biotin, potentially leading to biotin deficiency. Pasteurized eggs or egg whites are fine, as that is enough temperature and time to neutralize the avidin, and make the protein more bioavailable.

Hikeon3

Hikeon3

Awards
I know this is my first post (about eggs, no less) but when I was in college I would eat raw eggs for the convenience of it. I would bring home 7 dozen each week and bathe them in iodine before putting them in a plastic egg box in the cupboard (not even refrigerated. my mother grew up on a farm and never refrigerated eggs so i don't either). I was about 40-50 pounds heavier in college than I am now and pushing about 30% more weight in the gym. Not directly correlated, but I was able to stay nice and big with raw eggs.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
What educated people say is that steroids, in the hands of a fool, are bad for that fool...this is undeniably true to the 100%...no one is denying that, period.

Ignorance is worse than AIDS, it can spread without physical contact and bodily fluids.

Pipes

Awards
  • Established
Tylenol is, in the hands of a fool, bad for that fool as well... thats available to any human with money regardless of age or reason for purchase.

lol ok now im being confrontational. point being steroids are not bad for people, not at all. As a matter of fact its used to heal people, medically speaking. I think someone else said it on here before.. something about steroids being good for you if your sick but not good for you if your healthy lol.

Cigarrettes are bad for people, every people, regardless of sick or healthy. Seein what I'm sayin now? Its all crap, bunch of pencil pushing ****sticks tellin other people how to live their lives, and what they can and can not do in the "land of the free"

Political bull****.. its all about money.. how can they get their piece of the pie. Anyhow that rant was unexpected. Happy reading!

****Edit**** The freakin governer of California at age ....19.... won Mr. Europe, then at age 22 became Mr. Universe. He owed it all to steroids. I don't see him with life threatening issues at the age of 63, but he must be an anomoly.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
No one has ever been prescribed Supedrol to cure an illness.

Pipes

Awards
  • Established
lol tuche, however if we could get the real stuff from a local drugstore w/o a prescription.. would you still buy designer?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
See its not like the real stuff is without harm. the prescribe it because the issue they have is worse than the harm that will come from the steroid. People who have wasting diseases get prescribed dbol, but its because there isn't much other option and liver damage and other health issues caused by it are still less of a problem than the primary disease.

Pipes

Awards
  • Established
Ah, but overall it is essentially safer than designers correct? Since its going into the blood and not through your digestive system there are less effects on organs right? Also more potent in most cases.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
testosterone, tren, eq, etc are all less harmful than the designers sure, but dbol or anadrol are probably about the same

Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys for not making a joke about me "eatting my mom's eggs"
LOL im so slow I didnt get it till you said this, hahahaha. That just made my day. You wouldnt happen to be an only child now would you?

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Tylenol is, in the hands of a fool, bad for that fool as well... thats available to any human with money regardless of age or reason for purchase.

lol ok now im being confrontational. point being steroids are not bad for people, not at all. As a matter of fact its used to heal people, medically speaking. I think someone else said it on here before.. something about steroids being good for you if your sick but not good for you if your healthy lol.

Cigarrettes are bad for people, every people, regardless of sick or healthy. Seein what I'm sayin now? Its all crap, bunch of pencil pushing ****sticks tellin other people how to live their lives, and what they can and can not do in the "land of the free"

Political bull****.. its all about money.. how can they get their piece of the pie. Anyhow that rant was unexpected. Happy reading!

****Edit**** The freakin governer of California at age ....19.... won Mr. Europe, then at age 22 became Mr. Universe. He owed it all to steroids. I don't see him with life threatening issues at the age of 63, but he must be an anomoly.
Yeah, like I said, steroids in the hands of an idiot, is dangerous, period. It is not only dangerous toward health but leads to a larger lack of respect from uneducated individuals, which is also dangerous to their existence.

The more fools you have running cycles, the closer we get to Armageddon and the ban stick.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, like I said, steroids in the hands of an idiot, is dangerous, period. It is not only dangerous toward health but leads to a larger lack of respect from uneducated individuals, which is also dangerous to their existence.

The more fools you have running cycles, the closer we get to Armageddon and the ban stick.
Since Pipes got his rant in, i'll add mine.
[RANT]
Its not just steroids in the hands of an idiot, but what our society has devolved into recently. Steroids in the hands of an idiot is fine if the idiot is willing to take responsibility for their own actions. But year after year liberal progressives teach people more and more that they should blame someone else, and have the government take care of them which is definitely a full 180 degree turn from what this country was founded on

[/RANT]

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Brocodeout69 Nutrition / Health 71
bell1986 Nutrition / Health 15
william247 Nutrition / Health 24
cory0475 Nutrition / Health 25
Weight Loss 11