time off and cardio

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've decided that I have been overtraining and have decided to take 4 days off....(is this sufficient)? However i was wondering if doing some light cardio on these days would be ok? Also..... I was thinking of goin light on my lifts when i do return like 3 ets of 10 for various exercises, or do u think iw ould be ok to going back to a heavy routine? I am doing all this because blood tests showed i had low LH and low T and i have been fatigued and i figure that this is overtraining..........

amplus1

Awards
just take a few days off, running is fine,some people even take a week off at times

bashman

bashman

Awards
  • Established
I've decided that I have been overtraining and have decided to take 4 days off....(is this sufficient)? However i was wondering if doing some light cardio on these days would be ok? Also..... I was thinking of goin light on my lifts when i do return like 3 ets of 10 for various exercises, or do u think iw ould be ok to going back to a heavy routine? I am doing all this because blood tests showed i had low LH and low T and i have been fatigued and i figure that this is overtraining..........
If you are overtrained, I don't think you should even enter the gym. Just rest man, a few days is not going to stall your progress. Just eat at maintenance calories, low carb if you are fairly inactive throughout the day. Take a T-booster to maybe speed the process up.

I know how you feel though, as I was kind of in the same boat. If I don't hit the iron, I just don't feel like I accomplished much in a day. Be honest with yourself and only return when you feel right. Once your ready, everything will fall right back into place.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Definitely if you have been overtraining, take a WEEK off training - ALL of it. That way you can REALLY ensure that you get adequate recovery. Light cardio would be ok, but your cardio might not end up being light, and therefore it is better to just do NOTHING and allow your body to REST and RECUPERATE.

As far as what you do when you start training again, that's all dependent on your goals.

You don't need blood tests to know whether or not you have been overtraining. Also, overtraining is a chronic condition, and you could have been simply overreaching - since overTRAINING takes much MORE than a week to recover from; more like month and then some (trust me, I have been there). If you have low hormonal levels, then it would pay to look at your nutrition, training, supplementation, and other factors in your life to figure out what is causing them.

~Team APPNUT

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
well.... i went back to the gym today after 3 days off...... just did 3 sets of 10-12 reps for the most part for chest and tris.....pump was real good, i just hope i didnt return too soon, im gonna try to keep the weights a little lighter with higher reps this week then get abck to hittin it hard next week

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I suffer through the same issue, knowing I need to to take time off, then taking time off and feeling as if something is off because I didn't work out that day, it literally throws my entire day off. I like to do something everyday, whether it be weights, boxing or basketball. Sometimes doing nothing feels worse to me than feeling over trained.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
exactly how i feel.....but im hoping that this was the reason my t levels and lh levels were so low hopefully these lighter workouts and few days off will help