eating what ever you want?

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  192 lbs.
    Answers

eating what ever you want?

alright guys, im bulking/trying to gain size and strength...and my calorie intake is 3000-3500, but i get there by eating 6 meals a day, but i kind of eat what ever i want...the number on the scale hasn't changed, and my body is, and im getting stronger and everything, and im just wondering how badly is this effecting my lifting?

an example would be, breakfast i'll have bacon with my eggs ( 5 whites 2 yolks ), instead of just a normal plain yogurt, i'll have the yogurt where you add in little pieces of oreo or crunch bars. if i eat tuna, i'll make it with miracle whip ( not a whole lot )...so in essence im mixing a little bad with a lot of good

is just those little things making a huge negative impact on my gains? would i notice a big change if i cut all that crap out?

thanks

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Its fine. You need some fat in the diet. Most say 20% of total intake if on a typical diet. If you are seeing positive changes even though the scale isn't moving, I would keep doing what you are doing. Getting leaner while the scale stays the same is good in my book. If changes stop, then adjust calories accordingly. If you are concerned with actually moving the scale, bump calories 300-500.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Yeah I eat pretty much whatever at all times, its just when I cut I try to avoid super greasy food (basically mostly fast foods) and try to consume less than 20% of my total caloric intake from fatty foods.
    Bench - 355
    Squat - 405
    Deadlift - 600
    •   

4. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

if you are trying to bulk, then calories are calories. So long as you are getting some protein, some carbs and some fats in at every meal, quite where they come from isn't as important on a bulk. Its still overall better to avoid refined sugars and high fructose corn syrup, but it won't negatively impact gains (at absolute worst it will cause a little more fat accumulation along with lean gains)
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  5. The Female Terminator
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'1"  121 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by lemon View Post
    alright guys, im bulking/trying to gain size and strength...and my calorie intake is 3000-3500, but i get there by eating 6 meals a day, but i kind of eat what ever i want...the number on the scale hasn't changed, and my body is, and im getting stronger and everything, and im just wondering how badly is this effecting my lifting?

an example would be, breakfast i'll have bacon with my eggs ( 5 whites 2 yolks ), instead of just a normal plain yogurt, i'll have the yogurt where you add in little pieces of oreo or crunch bars. if i eat tuna, i'll make it with miracle whip ( not a whole lot )...so in essence im mixing a little bad with a lot of good

is just those little things making a huge negative impact on my gains? would i notice a big change if i cut all that crap out?

thanks
    If you can bulk by eating all clean food, then that's great, but most people find it difficult to consume the necessary calories from all clean food. If your goal is to gain mass, then you NEED the calories.

If you're eating above Maintenance, then you're going to experience strength gains regardless of where your calories are coming from.

No, it will not negatively impact gains - just determine whether they're dry or wet gains and how much of that gain is bodyfat or muscle. The only change you might notice if you did a clean bulk might be less bodyfat gain - although this is predominantly dependent on how MANY calories you are having as well - and also not feeling bloated or like crap from eating 'bad' food.

I recommend reading Macronutrient Composition for Optimal Muscle Growth, so that you have ballpark numbers of how much of each macronutrient you should be aiming for.

~Team APPNUT
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.
    Answers

As far as eating whatever, or cleanly, that's your call. It sounds like you diet is going alright, and no need for a severe change by any means. If you want, you can dirty up the diet a bit, but only if you can handle the more greasy foods and you don't feel like sh** after binge eating at BK or whatever your poison is . When I bulk, I try to keep as clean as possible so I know for a fact that my gains are clean, more noticeable, and easier to track my progress because of less fat being consumed and put on. Plus, depending on how much protein I intake (which ranges between 200-300 grams daily, for a guy only 140 during my last bulk), my liver function can be high, so I may watch cholesterol intake, or whatever I think my doctor may worry about if I might have to go visit him for whatever reason.

Just keep in mind that not everyone will bulk up the same on all the different methods of dieting, plus what you classify as a "dirty diet", I may classify as pretty clean. Crap in, crap out is a good analogy. The more junk you put in, the more junk you will gain (fat in this case). If you want to stay lean, limit your fat and dirty carbs/sugars during your bulk cycle. If you don't mind fat gains, and just want the "power lifter look", aka bulky overall and a gut (no offense meant to anyone, at all. just my POV), then go for your double 1/4lb'ers w/cheese, and your extra large fries and as many coke refills as you'd like. I prefer a clean diet, just my flavor
  7. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bkoguy07 View Post
    Yeah I eat pretty much whatever at all times, its just when I cut I try to avoid super greasy food (basically mostly fast foods) and try to consume less than 20% of my total caloric intake from fatty foods.
    If you are trying to bulk, but cutting fat to less than 20% of calories then you will likely not do so hot.

You need fat to make hormones.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Eating once a day???
    By bigdognhb in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-13-2010, 09:37 PM
  2. Eating
    By loganccga in forum Bulking