TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THE ANABOLIC WINDOW-IS IT REALLY NECESSARY?

  1. Senior Member
    corsaking's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,778
    Rep Power
    13344
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    4.63%
    Achievements Reputation ProPosting Pro

    TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THE ANABOLIC WINDOW-IS IT REALLY NECESSARY?


    Im always continually reading how important it is to take advantage of the Anabolic Window after training .A period which seems to vary in time from 30 min to 2 hours depending on what you read.Ive been led to believe that this is the time the body readily takes up nutrients more than any other time.However im thinking that taking advantage of this window , just might not be necessary.

    If you look at other sports , football, athletics, long jump, shot put .cycling. Taking each one individually , football -once the game is over and its a cup final for example, theres no rushing tothe dressing room for a carb/protein drink.Usually celebration on the field follows along with press interviews and cup or medal presentation
    Athletics -the winner trots around the track carrying the countrys flag , waving to the crowd and provides a tv interview, and so on.

    Although the sports are different to weights , some are a combination of aerobic and anaerobic exercise but in every case demands are placed on the body which must deplete it of nutrients.

    Even at my gym some dont bother with a post wo drink and go into town to the bank etc and their physiques dont seem to suffer as a result.

    So is it a myth that a post wo drink is desirable immediately after training and starts the anabolic process?

    Would it be better to let the body settle down and "normalise " itself after making the demands that have been placed on it during training before asking it to do anymore work of digesting the drink and incidentally pulling blood away from the muscles to help the intestines with the digestive process?

    Any views?

  2. Board Supporter
    Nitrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,303
    Rep Power
    802
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    11.15%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    I think that you are on the right track.

    Typical weight training does not burn that many calories (~300/hr). It is very easy to get through a workout without going drastically catabolic if the meals prior have appropriate calories.

    Also, the adaptation stimulus from weight training lasts for 24-48 hours. So even if you have not had anything to eat pre-workout, losing one hour or so is not going to torpedo your overall progress.

    Personally I think that some of the hype about the PWO window is for encouraging the sale of supplements (i.e. whole foods are too 'slow' for PWO recovery).
  3. Senior Member
    corsaking's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,778
    Rep Power
    13344
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    4.63%
    Achievements Reputation ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrox View Post
    I think that you are on the right track.

    Typical weight training does not burn that many calories (~300/hr). It is very easy to get through a workout without going drastically catabolic if the meals prior have appropriate calories.

    Also, the adaptation stimulus from weight training lasts for 24-48 hours. So even if you have not had anything to eat pre-workout, losing one hour or so is not going to torpedo your overall progress.

    Personally I think that some of the hype about the PWO window is for encouraging the sale of supplements (i.e. whole foods are too 'slow' for PWO recovery).
    im beginning to think that switching the emphasis to the pre workout meal/drink is more important than the post wo. Also having an intra workout drink consisting of a small amount of carbs and bcaa s and or eaas might be a better option than post wo.
    •   
       

  4. Board Supporter
    Nitrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,303
    Rep Power
    802
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    11.15%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by corsaking View Post
    im beginning to think that switching the emphasis to the pre workout meal/drink is more important than the post wo. Also having an intra workout drink consisting of a small amount of carbs and bcaa s and or eaas might be a better option than post wo.
    Here you are falling into the same trap - just favoring the pre-workout period instead. Personally I don't think that there should be any emphasis on any specific meal. You create the growth stimulus in the gym and your body grows outside the gym. This means that every meal is just as important as the other. Miss any one of them and you are losing an opportunity for growth.

    Remember that a large meal can take several hours to digest and the body does have some 'battery' capacity (i.e. glycogen stores in the liver).

    Just ensure that your daily calories are on target, you are spreading out your meals, and you make some considerations for periods of higher activity and let your body do the rest. For example, around your workout times, reduce the time between meals, make those meals slightly larger, or add another meal altogether.
  5. Senior Member
    corsaking's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,778
    Rep Power
    13344
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    4.63%
    Achievements Reputation ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrox View Post
    Here you are falling into the same trap - just favoring the pre-workout period instead. Personally I don't think that there should be any emphasis on any specific meal. You create the growth stimulus in the gym and your body grows outside the gym. This means that every meal is just as important as the other. Miss any one of them and you are losing an opportunity for growth.

    Remember that a large meal can take several hours to digest and the body does have some 'battery' capacity (i.e. glycogen stores in the liver).

    Just ensure that your daily calories are on target, you are spreading out your meals, and you make some considerations for periods of higher activity and let your body do the rest. For example, around your workout times, reduce the time between meals, make those meals slightly larger, or add another meal altogether.
    got it , thanks
  6. Banned
    crazyfool405's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,430
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    55
    Lv. Percent
    20.55%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting Authority

    pre and POST POST are the most important in my opinion.

    Protein with some BCAAS right after training or just protein after and BCAAs during. it keeps you lean this way too from my experience,

    ive also just tried intermittent fasting.

    3 meals and 3 5-6 hour fasts. inbetween and ive been able to eat anything and anything i want and stay lean.

    i mean ****in texas style ribs loaded sweet potatoes and a ****ing icecream sunday as a meal. . . or all you can eat sushi. feels good man.
  7. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3789
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    44.65%
    Achievements Reputation ProPosting Pro

    its all about a net protein balance = protein synthesis - protein breakdown. during the day you are usually in the positive because the protein thats breaking down is re-synthesising = protein turnover. during the workout there is a huge negative balance because of all the protein breakdown. this needs to be neutralized if you want to gain any muscle. otherwise your body remains in a negative protein balance = catabolism = loss of lean body mass.

    also there is a theory that you are more anabolic and shuttling nutrients more efficiently also because the muscles jsut got worked/more bloodflow to muscle/etc

    so the window is very crucial because of many physiological processes that go on during and after workout when body struggles to repair the damage. the body releases free radicals as a result of your lifting and you need nutrition to normalize all systems.

    here read this in its entirety:

    http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/...protein-01.htm
  8. Professional Member
    chocolatemilk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  207 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,804
    Rep Power
    9974
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    63.17%
    Achievements Reputation ProPosting Pro

    I've had amazing success drinking chocolate milk post workout.

    Milk is highly insulinogenic for that good insulin response, has the carbs for replenishment, the immediate protein for muscle repair, and fats.

    I'm also a believer in the anabolic window and this is from my experience.
  9. Board Supporter
    Nitrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,303
    Rep Power
    802
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    11.15%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by crazyfool405 View Post
    i mean ****in texas style ribs loaded sweet potatoes and a ****ing icecream sunday as a meal. . . or all you can eat sushi. feels good man.
    Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemilk View Post
    I've had amazing success drinking chocolate milk post workout.

    Milk is highly insulinogenic for that good insulin response, has the carbs for replenishment, the immediate protein for muscle repair, and fats.
    Love how a conceptual discussion always turns into a 'magic' food discussion. Don't forget about drinking the onion juice...
  10. Professional Member
    chocolatemilk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  207 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,804
    Rep Power
    9974
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    63.17%
    Achievements Reputation ProPosting Pro

    Oh I'm sorry... you wanted conceptual... here:

    "Based on the limited research, milk appears to be an effective post-resistance exercise beverage that results in favourable acute alterations in protein metabolism. Milk consumption acutely increases muscle protein synthesis, leading to an improved net muscle protein balance. Furthermore, when post-exercise milk consumption is combined with resistance training (12 weeks minimum), greater increases in muscle hypertrophy and lean mass have been observed."

    Milk: the new sports drink? A Review
    Brian D Roy1

    Journal of international society of sports nutrition
  11. Board Supporter
    Nitrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,303
    Rep Power
    802
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    11.15%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemilk View Post
    Oh I'm sorry... you wanted conceptual... here:

    "Based on the limited research, milk appears to be an effective post-resistance exercise beverage that results in favourable acute alterations in protein metabolism. Milk consumption acutely increases muscle protein synthesis, leading to an improved net muscle protein balance. Furthermore, when post-exercise milk consumption is combined with resistance training (12 weeks minimum), greater increases in muscle hypertrophy and lean mass have been observed."

    Milk: the new sports drink? A Review
    Brian D Roy1

    Journal of international society of sports nutrition
    The OP was initiating a discussion about whether the concept of post-workout window is valid or just BB dogma - not what the ultimate PWO drink is.

    Look, I don't really have issue if someone goes off topic a bit with some useful info but your claim of having 'amazing' success drinking choc milk PWO reads like a tabloid headline.

    By all means correct me if I am wrong but my interpretation is that you are saying that the choc milk vs some other PWO meal was the main source of your success. No other variables changed at all in your comparison: total cals, macros, activity level, superdrol cycle, etc?

    I am not disagreeing that there is a place for choc milk in a lifter's diet. The supporting quote that you provided does indicate effectiveness but neither it nor your own claim (based on what you have provided) indicates superiority.

    FWIW I am not purposely trying to kick in you in the nads here. I just happen to be feeling particularly objective; feel free to kick back.
  12. New Member
    Sweekaters's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    213
    Rep Power
    170
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    65.04%

    This board is a lot more intelligent than most other fitness boards I visit. There isn't really and such thing as an 'anabolic window'. The human body would not make sense if it worked that way. Your body is able to adapt the the stresses you place on it whether or not you drink the newest protein drink post workout or not. Here's an article with a lot of good research disposing of the 'anabolic window' myth.
    htt p://w ww.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performan ce_nutrition/the_top_10_post_workout_nutrit ion_myths
  13. Professional Member
    chocolatemilk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  207 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,804
    Rep Power
    9974
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    63.17%
    Achievements Reputation ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrox View Post
    The OP was initiating a discussion about whether the concept of post-workout window is valid or just BB dogma - not what the ultimate PWO drink is.

    Look, I don't really have issue if someone goes off topic a bit with some useful info but your claim of having 'amazing' success drinking choc milk PWO reads like a tabloid headline.

    By all means correct me if I am wrong but my interpretation is that you are saying that the choc milk vs some other PWO meal was the main source of your success. No other variables changed at all in your comparison: total cals, macros, activity level, superdrol cycle, etc?

    I am not disagreeing that there is a place for choc milk in a lifter's diet. The supporting quote that you provided does indicate effectiveness but neither it nor your own claim (based on what you have provided) indicates superiority.

    FWIW I am not purposely trying to kick in you in the nads here. I just happen to be feeling particularly objective; feel free to kick back.
    Well we are not gonna find scientific articles comparing chocolate milk to Gatorade as post workout drinks lol. Wish we could. All we can do is speculate with the scientific data we have.

    We're not going to see scientific studies done on nolva vs clomid for a PCT.. but we do find tids and bits of scientific literature about nolva and clomid and assume from these findings they would be useful for PCT.

    You are completely right, superiority is a tough thing to claim. But I do believe I gave the OP a bit of credentials when it comes to the overall usage of a post workout drink. Since milk has been shown to be an effective post workout drink... this shows that the general scope "post workout drinks" COULD (if they are legitimate) be very beneficial post workout over no drink post workout.

    The anabolic window stays open!!! Now what to fill it with??? I do chocolate milk
  14. Senior Member
    corsaking's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,778
    Rep Power
    13344
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    4.63%
    Achievements Reputation ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweekaters View Post
    This board is a lot more intelligent than most other fitness boards I visit. There isn't really and such thing as an 'anabolic window'. The human body would not make sense if it worked that way. Your body is able to adapt the the stresses you place on it whether or not you drink the newest protein drink post workout or not. Here's an article with a lot of good research disposing of the 'anabolic window' myth.
    htt p://w ww.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performan ce_nutrition/the_top_10_post_workout_nutrit ion_myths
    good article with some useful tips
  15. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3789
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    44.65%
    Achievements Reputation ProPosting Pro

    ive read taht tnation article but the fact still remains, blood samples taken prior during and post workout clearly displayed a negative protein balance because of the breakdown of protein caused by the workout. the body doesnt just adapt to not get stressed from lifting or not breakdown protein, you wouldnt grow if it just adapted to the stress. negative protein balance = catabolism. plenty of research done. i can dig up the metabolsim journal articles if the one i posted isnt enough.
  16. Board Supporter
    wastedwhiteboy2's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,989
    Rep Power
    3013
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    58.32%
    Achievements Reputation ProPosting Pro

    Bump.
  17. New Member
    Sweekaters's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    213
    Rep Power
    170
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    65.04%

    Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    ive read taht tnation article but the fact still remains, blood samples taken prior during and post workout clearly displayed a negative protein balance because of the breakdown of protein caused by the workout. the body doesnt just adapt to not get stressed from lifting or not breakdown protein, you wouldnt grow if it just adapted to the stress. negative protein balance = catabolism. plenty of research done. i can dig up the metabolsim journal articles if the one i posted isnt enough.
    Your body adapts to the stress, but you continue to stress is utilizing progressive overload. No progressive overoald = no growth. I think that total protein consumption is far more important than the timing of the consumption, but any articles you could post would be good information for sure.
  18. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3789
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    44.65%
    Achievements Reputation ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweekaters View Post
    Your body adapts to the stress, but you continue to stress is utilizing progressive overload. No progressive overoald = no growth. I think that total protein consumption is far more important than the timing of the consumption, but any articles you could post would be good information for sure.
    i mean yea im sure trying to utilizing this "window" is being a little anal but science does back it up. read the article i posted at the beginning of this thread, i also read its sources and there is a lot of research done on this.
  19. Senior Member
    corsaking's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,778
    Rep Power
    13344
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    4.63%
    Achievements Reputation ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweekaters View Post
    Your body adapts to the stress, but you continue to stress is utilizing progressive overload. No progressive overoald = no growth. I think that total protein consumption is far more important than the timing of the consumption, but any articles you could post would be good information for sure.
    mmmmmmm(thinking)- im just not sure about all this at all .I can see where you are all coming from but lets take another example -a male gymnast. These guy have good bodies , muscular and defined -but theyre not huge . If we could attain the look that they have , i think most of us would be happy.I just carnt see them after a training session or competition , saying to the coach " i want to be bigger next year " stronger yes but not bigger.It would make the routine that they do so much harder .Bigger muscles dont necessarily bring greater strength.So i assume they choose to remain at a certain bodyweight just providing enough fuel in whatever form , drinks, food to maintain a status quo.

    With the amount of training they do , i would think there is no-one who puts their body more under stress than they do.
  20. Advanced Member
    Dizmal's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  232 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Age
    36
    Posts
    548
    Rep Power
    368
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    59.28%

    Find something that works for you and stick with it. Don't worry about the rest. KISS.

    I work out fairly late at night. I take 2 scoops of protein, mix with water and 2 raw eggs after WO. I'm in bed a hour and a half later. I may have a spoon of natty pb inbetween those times, sometimes I might not. I still make gains and sparing my body the insulin bomb shake thereby promoting the GH release at night keeps me lean in the process. That works for me.
  21. New Member
    anoopbal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    209
    Rep Power
    13090
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    50.83%
    Achievements Reputation Pro

    The window of opportunity is usually the time that protein synthesis stays above basal levels and this is around 48 hours.

    It is true that net protein balance remains negative until you start feeding. But it is also true that unless you are training in the morning on an empty stomach, you will have some amino in the blood stream so you will still have a positive protein balance.

    Since the highest peak of protein synthesis is usually a few hours after exercise, it makes sense to have some protein after exercise. One study I can think of in long term showed that delaying protein ingestion by 2 hours lowered the lean body mass and fiber area in NON fasted young men compared to immediate consumption.There is some evidence against it too. But looking at all the evidence it seems sensible to take protein right after exercise.

    And that T-nation is a bit old. The latest study he refers goes only uptill 2005.
  22. Advanced Member
    The_Reverend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Age
    37
    Posts
    892
    Rep Power
    551
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    11.52%

    Quote Originally Posted by Dizmal View Post
    Find something that works for you and stick with it. Don't worry about the rest. KISS.

    I work out fairly late at night. I take 2 scoops of protein, mix with water and 2 raw eggs after WO. I'm in bed a hour and a half later. I may have a spoon of natty pb inbetween those times, sometimes I might not. I still make gains and sparing my body the insulin bomb shake thereby promoting the GH release at night keeps me lean in the process. That works for me.
    I like your method. I may try that the times I am forced to workout late.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Anabolic Window and how to use
    By packers6211 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-09-2011, 11:50 PM
  2. Anabolic Diet while taking ph's
    By deadikated in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-06-2010, 10:02 PM
  3. Taking prohormones while on the Anabolic Diet?
    By dankone in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-25-2009, 01:53 PM
  4. Nutrabolics Anabolic Window
    By EasyEJL in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-20-2008, 10:22 AM
  5. Anabolic window and cardio
    By Ninjo in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-22-2006, 05:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in