Parboiled or brown rice for bulking?

AtomicFox

AtomicFox

Awards
  • Established
Which one would be the best option for lean bulking?
I always hear people mention brown rice, but when I check the GI of the two parboiled rice seems to have a lower GI, which in my world would seem better to prevent a heavy insulin spike.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Assuming that you are having rice with at least a good serving of protein and you are spreading out your calories over at least 6 meals then it probably does not matter much which you choose...

AtomicFox

AtomicFox

Awards
  • Established
Assuming that you are having rice with at least a good serving of protein and you are spreading out your calories over at least 6 meals then it probably does not matter much which you choose...
Still there is a pretty big difference between eating regular white rice vs the parboiled and brown rice right?

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Still there is a pretty big difference between eating regular white rice vs the parboiled and brown rice right?
Well that depends on how you look at it; there is the theoretical and the practical. Theoretically there is a sizable difference between short grain white and long grain brown rice (20 or so point on the GI).

Practically speaking total glycemic load is more important (GI x quantity). So if you compare 1/2 cup of each, the difference in glycemic load will be 4 times smaller than if you compare 2 cups of each.

This is also why I made the comment about more frequent, smaller meals. As the quantities become smaller GI differences matter less. Remember though that higher GI foods are generally more processed and have less overall nutrition.

Think of arguing which is the faster car, a Porsche or a Ferrari? Sure you can use the top speeds that Road & Track got on the track, but does it really matter? You will never come close to either because of limitations on the street.

AtomicFox

AtomicFox

Awards
  • Established
I get your point. Thanks man!