96 grams of protein a day

jontrainer

Awards
Could YOU build or maintain your physique off of 2 dozen egg whites daily if the rest of your diet was in check?

jontrainer

Awards
Thanks for the responses. I am taking in about 100 grams of protein through whites and chicken. I was going to try to cut out my shakes if possible(80 grams whey/casein). I often question if they absorb or some how get lost in translation.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I know a 230lb guy that maintains his mass off of 150 grams of protein a day.. Not claiming anything, just saying, anything is possible.. My dad is 195 12%BF and maintains his weight with about 100 grams of protein a day.

goonstopher

goonstopher

Awards
  • Established
I know a 230lb guy that maintains his mass off of 150 grams of protein a day.. Not claiming anything, just saying, anything is possible.. My dad is 195 12%BF and maintains his weight with about 100 grams of protein a day.
I knew a guy that made me look liek a little girl and all he ate was icecream sandwiches, hot dogs and whatever else he felt like (donuts ect)...

I think the OP needs to question if HE can do it... Is he at or close to an easy to keep "natural" muscle mass? If so then, I guess it is possible but if he is highly trained and has taken careful and strategic plans to get beyond and easy to maintain weight then probably not. MORE IMPORTANT - WHY?????

There is no reason to ever cut your protein calories like this NONE:
Money? - Shakes are cheaper than solid protein.
Calories? - You should cut carbs first, if your protein is this low that better mean you are taking in under 100 calories a day

there is no logical reason for this unless you have failing kidneys and even that can be debated.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I knew a guy that made me look liek a little girl and all he ate was icecream sandwiches, hot dogs and whatever else he felt like (donuts ect)...

I think the OP needs to question if HE can do it... Is he at or close to an easy to keep "natural" muscle mass? If so then, I guess it is possible but if he is highly trained and has taken careful and strategic plans to get beyond and easy to maintain weight then probably not. MORE IMPORTANT - WHY?????

There is no reason to ever cut your protein calories like this NONE:
Money? - Shakes are cheaper than solid protein.
Calories? - You should cut carbs first, if your protein is this low that better mean you are taking in under 100 calories a day

there is no logical reason for this unless you have failing kidneys and even that can be debated.
Im in no way telling op to eat 100grams or protein or less.. Just throwing out some food for though. I take in an average of 250grams a day.. Maybe if your muscles have fully matured will they be easily maintainable.

goonstopher

goonstopher

Awards
  • Established
Im in no way telling op to eat 100grams or protein or less.. Just throwing out some food for though. I take in an average of 250grams a day.. Maybe if your muscles have fully matured will they be easily maintainable.
Yeah... first half of that was meant for you and the rant at the end was for the OP

jontrainer

Awards
I guess I am just curious if I would digress without my protein shakes(80 grams worth).

goonstopher

goonstopher

Awards
  • Established
I guess I am just curious if I would digress without my protein shakes(80 grams worth).
Why are shakes and egg whites the only options...

This is just such a weird thread. You give no info about yourself and want us to predict something theoretical in that it uses false absolutes that you are self imposing.

Could someone do fine off 100g protein, I guess but you would want to up your carbs and that would not be a good change for most people.

schwellington

schwellington

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
wtf r u trying to do by decreasing protein? I believe what Gamer said that muscle CAN be maintained at 100-150 grams of protein BUT if ur trying to loose weight DO NOT cut out protein- here is why A. Muscles thrive on protein and muscle helps burn fat
B.Whenever someone consumes protein the body has to break it down- when the body goes into the process of breaking it down it expends energy thus aiding in the burning of fat

C. Protein is awesome

Pipes

Awards
  • Established
Doctor... Doctor!! I need you to set up a protein drip at my desk.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
If youre an 85 lb 12 year old I suppose you could get away with 96 grams a day... Until you hit a growth spurt ;)

TheTransforma

Just give it a try and see what it does. I would try to keep your other macros high enough to compensate for the 80 x 4 calories you would lose by dropping the protein.

jontrainer

Awards
Thanks for the advice. I am going to try to get my protein up through food and use the shakes when I am pressed for time.

cowboy007

cowboy007

Awards
  • Established
What makes you think your body isnt absorbing the protein from the shakes?

jontrainer

Awards
What makes you think your body isnt absorbing the protein from the shakes?

I guess cuz the shakes are like drinking water especially compared to the volume of 10 egg whites.

doingwork30

doingwork30

Awards
wtf r u trying to do by decreasing protein? I believe what Gamer said that muscle CAN be maintained at 100-150 grams of protein BUT if ur trying to loose weight DO NOT cut out protein- here is why A. Muscles thrive on protein and muscle helps burn fat
B.Whenever someone consumes protein the body has to break it down- when the body goes into the process of breaking it down it expends energy thus aiding in the burning of fat

C. Protein is awesome
agreed decreasing protein isnt ideal. i understand about you trying to cut down on shakes though, solid food is better. if youre not buying it get some chicken turkey steak etc. But if you are buying it and moneys the issue shakes are the less expensive way.

good2Badawg

Awards
  • Established
i think if you cut out the shakes and just replace half that protein with other healthy options you could probably do it. take it up to around 130-150g a day...depending on your size then add extra healthy fats and carbs to make up any caloric deficit you could maintain. but 96 seems low unless your under 150lbs or so. i think it is reasonable to suggest .7/.8g protein/lb of body weight would maintain you

Dizmal

Dizmal

Awards
  • Established
I don't know how protein powder is cheaper than whole foods when I can get 10lbs of chicken for $22 at Sam's Club.

Replace protein shakes with chicken.

Hookup

Awards
Lyle Mcdonald says you need .08 grams of protien per pound for maintance. This varies by greatly by % of body fat, .08 is simply a guide line. Like said above everyone is different.

bashman

bashman

Awards
  • Established
Could YOU build or maintain your physique off of 2 dozen egg whites daily if the rest of your diet was in check?
I can't see how downing 2 dozen egg whites is more convenient than downing protein shakes? Plus without the yolks, you're missing the best part of the egg.

You don't need MuscleTech shakes if money is an issue. You can buy bulk whey for a very reasonable price.

warsteiner

Awards
  • Established
Take a look at http://www.naturalphysiques.com/cms/index.php?itemid=144&page=2

I'm not saying that it's true but they mention:

"This was a leaning cycle that I did using a vegan-style diet. I actually averaged only around about half of my body weight (around 95 grams) of protein, with 300 grams of carbohydrate while dropping over 30 pounds in a 12-week timeframe. At 7%, my abs are clearly defined......I believe that the inclusion of carbs helped me reach this level at my strongest - my bench press was 280 pounds and dead-lift was 415 pounds when this picture was taken."

Personally, I think a lot of the information (propaganda) about needing to eat at least 1.5g for each lb of your bodyweight in protein comes from companies that manufacture whey. If you look back over the last 15 years or so there is a direct correlation between the amount of supplement companies being formed (and the money they make!) and the amount of protein needed to be consumed each day, vitamins needed to be taken, test boosting supplements needed to be taken, etc., etc., etc. and it has lead to 'normal' people like you and I feeling that we need to take numerous products as 'staples' when, in fact, we are too scared to drop supps in case we gain 30lbs of fat and our max bench press drops by 50lbs overnight.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Personally, I think a lot of the information (propaganda) about needing to eat at least 1.5g for each lb of your bodyweight in protein comes from companies that manufacture whey. If you look back over the last 15 years or so there is a direct correlation between the amount of supplement companies being formed (and the money they make!) and the amount of protein needed to be consumed each day, vitamins needed to be taken, test boosting supplements needed to be taken, etc., etc., etc. and it has lead to 'normal' people like you and I feeling that we need to take numerous products as 'staples' when, in fact, we are too scared to drop supps in case we gain 30lbs of fat and our max bench press drops by 50lbs overnight.
Don't get me started on the 'gram of protein per kilogram of lean mass' conversation. Why in the world would I want to take in protein to support the adipose that I am carrying on my 'not-ready-to-walk-on-stage' frame.

Do it up op. There's a lot of brosci about protein. I think the JISSN posted in their newest (once per decade,) publication 0.8g protein per kilogram...I can't remember if it was total weight or lean mass...Either way, that'd be around 90g for most people (* < 200lb.)

goonstopher

goonstopher

Awards
  • Established
Don't get me started on the 'gram of protein per kilogram of lean mass' conversation. Why in the world would I want to take in protein to support the adipose that I am carrying on my 'not-ready-to-walk-on-stage' frame.

Do it up op. There's a lot of brosci about protein. I think the JISSN posted in their newest (once per decade,) publication 0.8g protein per kilogram...I can't remember if it was total weight or lean mass...Either way, that'd be around 90g for most people (* < 200lb.)
Man the point isn't just to maintain muscle or repair but to get calories up .Where else would you get the calories from? Carbs, fat? Protein calories keep you leaner.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Man the point isn't just to maintain muscle or repair but to get calories up .Where else would you get the calories from? Carbs, fat? Protein calories keep you leaner.
Excessive protein can turn to glucose too.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
yes it CAN but it takes processing and I would rather take that chance than just straight carbs.
Who said anything about protein or carbs being the only two options? I would opt for a higher fat diet. Healthy fats of course. Walnuts, almonds, avocados, pistachios, peanut/almond butter, and the like. With those you are getting healthy fats as well as a decent amount of protein (avocados excluded,) and fiber. They are all less likely to have as much of an impact on blood sugar levels than carbs or protein.

And since every argument needs some sort of validation:

Hoffman, Jay R., Nicholas A. Ratamess, Michael J. Falvo, and Avery D. Faigenbaum. "Effect of Protein Intake on Strength, Body Composition and Endocrine Changes in Strength/Power Athletes." Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 3, no. 2 (2006): 12-18. http://www.jissn.com/content/3/2/12.

Abstract

Comparison of protein intakes on strength, body composition and hormonal changes were examined in 23 experienced collegiate strength/power athletes participating in a 12-week resistance training program. Subjects were stratified into three groups depending upon their daily consumption of protein; below recommended levels (BL; 1.0 – 1.4 g·kg-1·day-1; n = 8), recommended levels (RL; 1.6 – 1.8 g·kg-1·day-1; n = 7) and above recommended levels (AL; > 2.0 g·kg-1·day-1; n = 8). Subjects were assessed for strength [one-repetition maximum (1-RM) bench press and squat] and body composition. Resting blood samples were analyzed for total testosterone, cortisol, growth hormone, and insulin-like growth factor. No differences were seen in energy intake (3,171 ± 577 kcal) between the groups, and the energy intake for all groups were also below the recommended levels for strength/power athletes. No significant changes were seen in body mass, lean body mass or fat mass in any group. Significant improvements in 1-RM bench press and 1-RM squat were seen in all three groups, however no differences between the groups were observed. Subjects in AL experienced a 22% and 42% greater change in Δ 1-RM squat and Δ 1-RM bench press than subjects in RL, however these differences were not significant. No significant changes were seen in any of the resting hormonal concentrations. The results of this study do not provide support for protein intakes greater than recommended levels in collegiate strength/power athletes for body composition improvements, or alterations in resting hormonal concentrations.
RL; 1.6 – 1.8 g·kg-1·day-1
which yields
145-163g protein/day for a 200lb person

For OP (175lb,) that would be 126-142g protein/day. So, again I say go for it OP. Odds are that you would be well within that recommended window consuming 2 dozen eggs (primarily whites I hope,) with everything else in your diet.

jontrainer

Awards
the money isnt the issue with the shakes. I am curious if they have anything to do with my physique. I am going to take them out starting tomorrow. I want to see if I can make any progress without them. I will commit to this for 3 months. My protein intake will be about 120g daily split over 3 meals. Egg whites and oats , chicken and rice, olive oil, almonds, veggies, fruit is about 85% of my nutrition. The only supps will be a multi, and pre-workout drink. Opinions on Pre Max?

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
I honestly don't think you would "digress" on the diet you just suggested, but it would probably slow the process of future gains.

jontrainer

Awards
so i ended up putting a protein shake in for breakfast because I have no appetite at 5:00 am. There goes my 3 month commitment. I substituted the second shake for 3 egg whites and some fruit and almonds. Trader Joes has hardboiled eggs which is very convenient.