Poll: Are bananas part of your regular diet?

Do you eat bananas?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  261 lbs.
    Answers

Do you eat bananas?

Just a fun read about bananas!

A professor at CCNY for a physiological psych class told his class about bananas.
    After reading this, you'll never look at a banana in the same way again.

Bananas contain three natural sugars - sucrose, fructose and glucose combined with fiber. A banana gives an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy.

Research has proven that just two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout. No wonder the banana is the number one fruit with the world's leading athletes.

But energy isn't the only way a banana can help us keep fit. It can also help overcome or prevent a substantial number of illnesses and conditions, making it a must to add to our daily diet.

Depression: According to a recent survey undertaken by MIND amongst people suffering from depression, many felt much better after eating a banana. This is because bananas contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood and generally make you feel happier.

PMS: Forget the pills - eat a banana. The vitamin B6 it contains regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood.

Anemia : High in iron, bananas can stimulate the production of hemoglobin in the blood and so helps in cases of anemia.

Blood Pressure: This unique tropical fruit is extremely high in potassium yet low in salt, making it perfect to beat blood pressure. So much so, the US Food and Drug Administration has just allowed the banana industry to make official claims for the fruit's ability to reduce the risk of blood pressure and stroke.

Brain Power: 200 students at a Twickenham (Middlesex) school ( England ) were helped through their exams this year by eating bananas at breakfast, break, and lunch in a bid to boost their brain power. Research has shown that the potassium-packed fruit can assist learning by making pupils more alert.

Constipation: High in fiber, including bananas in the diet can help restore normal bowel action, helping to overcome the problem without resorting to laxatives.

Hangovers: One of the quickest ways of curing a hangover is to make a banana milkshake, sweetened with honey. The banana calms the stomach and, with the help of the honey, builds up depleted blood sugar levels, while the milk soothes and re-hydrates your system.
    Heartburn: Bananas have a natural antacid effect in the body, so if you suffer from heartburn, try eating a banana for soothing relief.

Morning Sickness: Snacking on bananas between meals helps to keep blood sugar levels up and avoid morning sickness

Mosquito bites: Before reaching for the insect bite cream, try rubbing the affected area with the inside of a banana skin. Many people find it amazingly successful at reducing swelling and irritation.

Nerves: Bananas are high in B vitamins that help calm the nervous system.

Overweight and at work? Studies at the Institute of Psychology in Austria found pressure at work leads to gorging on comfort food like chocolate and chips. Looking at 5,000 hospital patients, researchers found the most obese were more likely to be in high-pressure jobs. The report concluded that, to avoid panic-induced food cravings, we need to control our blood sugar levels by snacking on high carbohydrate foods every two hours to keep levels steady.

Ulcers: The banana is used as the dietary food against intestinal disorders because of its soft texture and smoothness.. It is the only raw fruit that can be eaten without distress in over-chronicler cases. It also neutralizes over-acidity and reduces irritation by coating the lining of the stomach.

Temperature control: Many other cultures see bananas as a "cooling" fruit that can lower both the physical and emotional temperature of expectant mothers. In Thailand , for example, pregnant women eat bananas to ensure their baby is born with a cool temperature.

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD): Bananas can help SAD sufferers because they contain the natural mood enhancer tryptophan.

Smoking &Tobacco Use: Bananas can also help people trying to give up smoking. The B6, B12 they contain, as well as the potassium and magnesium found in them, help the body recover from the effects of nicotine withdrawal.

Stress: Potassium is a vital mineral, which helps normalize the heartbeat, sends oxygen to the brain and regulates your body's water balance... When we are stressed, our metabolic rate rises, thereby reducing our potassium levels. These can be rebalanced with the help of a high-potassium banana snack.

Strokes: According to research in The New England Journal of Medicine, eating bananas as part of a regular diet can cut the risk of death by strokes by as much as 40%!

Warts: Those keen on natural alternatives swear that if you want to kill off a wart, take a piece of banana skin and place it on the wart, with the yellow side out. Carefully hold the skin in place with a plaster or surgical tape!

So, a banana really is a natural remedy for many ills.. When you compare it to an apple, it has four times the protein, twice the carbohydrate, three times the phosphorus, five times the vitamin A and iron, and twice the other vitamins and minerals. It is also rich in potassium and is one of the best value foods around So maybe itís time to change that well-known phrase so that we say, "A banana a day keeps the doctor away!"
    **** Line @ NUTRAPLANET

All posts are for entertainment purposes only.

Need2slin... NOM NOM NOM :yup:

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.
    Answers

Bananas are delicious.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  181 lbs.
    Answers

I used to hate bananas, when I was a kid.
    But nowadays I eat one every morning for breakfast.
    •   

4. Banned
    Answers

I don't really like bananas, but I eat them for breakfast anyway.
  5. Banned
    Answers

Banana's are good every now and then. Watching a chick eat a banana is awesome, though!
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Answers

Bananas poison me....Literally, if I eat a banana I feel like crap. I had issues working out once, I had started eating bananas. Well did some testing, took about 6 weeks and found out the bananas is what was making me unable to workout and feel like crap, sucking all my strength away. Sucks for me I guess huh ll
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Answers

I'm not gonna lie, I didn't read that first post :P

I love naners and usually eat 1-2 to flavor my oatmeal in the AM. I used to have them before or after WO but pretty much same thing that happened to V would happen to me. I feel all heavy and fat after I eat one, but not with the oatmeal O_o
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  187 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFury View Post

I love naners and usually eat 1-2 to flavor my oatmeal in the AM. I used to have them before or after WO but pretty much same thing that happened to V would happen to me. I feel all heavy and fat after I eat one, but not with the oatmeal O_o
    haha i read about 1/4 of it then was like **** that's alot of info about bananas.

i love em' though. i eat at least one a day usually and put them in my shakes when i use a blender.....on a side note. if any of yall go to smoothie king get a "High protein banana with a scoop of vanilla ice cream" IT'S AMAZING
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  211 lbs.
    Answers

nope!
  10. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Answers

wth fuc kin peanut butter!!!

that how you eat them . PERIOD. its like crack
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  270 lbs.
    Answers

I remember reading an awsome article about a gym coach. He was telling his students to eat bananas because you can get big. He had said something along the lines of " Look at gorrillas. they are freekin huge, and they eat bananas" Wish I remember the cite.

RECOVERBRO

12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Answers

did u know bananas are considered a berry?
    Follow me on instagram for:Workout advice and tips, Diet pics, Inspirational pics, And best....pics of me!!!! haha
    INSTAGRAM: GUN_WALKER3
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  261 lbs.
    Answers

I did not? How did you come about this info? Not doubting you I just would like to read up on it
    **** Line @ NUTRAPLANET

14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  206 lbs.
    Answers

People think I`m part chimp they way I eat them!!!! At least 15 a week.
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernCharm View Post
    I did not? How did you come about this info? Not doubting you I just would like to read up on it
    The bottom of a Snapple cap lmao
    Follow me on instagram for:Workout advice and tips, Diet pics, Inspirational pics, And best....pics of me!!!! haha
    INSTAGRAM: GUN_WALKER3
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  261 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by reptone View Post
    People think I`m part chimp they way I eat them!!!! At least 15 a week.
    yeah i eat 2 a day every day so im right behind you hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Deeerdre View Post
    OHHHH the all mighty snapple well i thought it was gonna be something unreliable like wiki but since its snapple.. LOL
    **** Line @ NUTRAPLANET

17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  150 lbs.
    Answers

F*ck yeah I eat bananas.
  18. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Mindless View Post
    I used to hate bananas, when I was a kid.
    But nowadays I eat one every morning for breakfast.
    Bananas sliced up + Cheerios or Oatmeal = Win

I actually stay away from bananas as much as possible though, because I am extremely sensitive to carbohydrate induced fat gain, and avoid fructose at all costs.
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Answers

A whole one in my morning shake, but that's the only time.
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Answers

They are a staple w/ 32oz of skim milk after a run.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  21. Registered User
    Answers

bananas, casein, natty pb, oatmeal, milk, ice, all blended up.
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Answers

dont bananas have an extremely high GI? close to sugar? just like potatoes?
    The difference between who you are and who you want to be is what you do.
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.
    Answers

im 1/2 sloth cuz im lazy n 1/2 ape cuz i love nanners
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  250 lbs.
    Answers

bananas are delicious
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  261 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by rochabp View Post
    yes i only eat them around my workouts. for breakfast or preworkout and then right after a workout. never after 1 or so.. there's just so many nutrients in them its ridiculous!!
    **** Line @ NUTRAPLANET

26. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  264 lbs.
    Answers

10 to 15 bananas a week i love bananas + 1 apple every day
    i think your post about all bananas do was a little over the top but i think they are a important part of a good diet
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Answers

umm about that masquito bite tip.?

i heard if you masquitos are attracted to people who have just eaten a banana
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by GeekPoop View Post
    im 1/2 sloth cuz im lazy n 1/2 ape cuz i love nanners
    Actually, all humans are apes. 100%.
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  206 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by rochabp View Post
    I recently switched to fruit as my main source of carbs and honestly it seems to be the best middle group for me between super low carbs and standard low GI diets.

low gi food just leave me bloated and I honestly think complex carbs are a big part of the problem these days for bodybuilders (obviously sugars are worse but in the special population the rules are different). Digesting complex carbs can cause bloat issues for a lot of people and slow down absorption of proteins. One thing I can guarantee, you will never find someone who got fat from eating fruit. The fiber and natural energy if gives you slows down overeating and although it has higher GI it has lower glycemic load.

On a personal note, I am eating 200-250g of carbs and have onl gained 2 pounds over my zero/low carb low and m muscles are more full with no loss in cuts. 100-150g of carbs a day are from fruit. I eat about 30-50g a day from rice cakes and one serving of complex carbs. Now I haven't gone long term enough to test this but it feels and looks good so far.
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  240 lbs.
    Answers

nice read!!! i have two banana every day..one preworkout and one postworkout. preworkout banana goes down with some PB....mmmmmmmm...bloody awesome!
  31. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post
    I recently switched to fruit as my main source of carbs and honestly it seems to be the best middle group for me between super low carbs and standard low GI diets.

low gi food just leave me bloated and I honestly think complex carbs are a big part of the problem these days for bodybuilders (obviously sugars are worse but in the special population the rules are different). Digesting complex carbs can cause bloat issues for a lot of people and slow down absorption of proteins. One thing I can guarantee, you will never find someone who got fat from eating fruit. The fiber and natural energy if gives you slows down overeating and although it has higher GI it has lower glycemic load.

On a personal note, I am eating 200-250g of carbs and have onl gained 2 pounds over my zero/low carb low and m muscles are more full with no loss in cuts. 100-150g of carbs a day are from fruit. I eat about 30-50g a day from rice cakes and one serving of complex carbs. Now I haven't gone long term enough to test this but it feels and looks good so far.
    You're not concerned with the high fructose content in fruit?
  32. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  206 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Outstanding View Post
    You're not concerned with the high fructose content in fruit?
    Not one bit...

Look at the actual content, most fruit has like 5-8g of fructose max. There is more sucrose and glucose but carb content is not nearly as important as glycemic load.

Very little trouble is caused but small amounts of sugars especially combined with the fiber content of fruit and the proteins we eat with them. Also, I would rather digest and absorb my carbs and not feel bloated. If that means eating a little sugar then so be it. When I eat complex carbs I am left farting and crapping all day. when I eat fruit I get a nice little energy boost and my stomach floats through it. Further, Since about 30g of carbs is average for a piece of fruit. I can eat something sweet 3-4 times a day and only get 125-130g of carbs. And Finally, the fructose content of fruit should actually help your metabolism stay high during a diet. During dieting low amounts of fructose fill up your liver and help your metabolism so you can actually have fewer cheat meals and don't need crazy carb ups so you can stay in a deficit longer.
  33. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  345 lbs.
    Answers

make sure you open them the "correct" way like a monkey does, it is really so much easier. You dont twist the stem off or anything. Flip it up side down and pinch the "tip" (get your mind out of the gutter, lol). The skin will split in half then just peel it down. Easy as cake! Give it a try next time.
  34. Registered User
    Stats
    5'2"  118 lbs.
    Answers

I thought bananas only help with diet and anemia, I never really thought that fruit has that much nutritional benefits. I'll definitely load up on bananas during exam week-- to boost my brain and lower the stress levels. Thanks for the info!
  35. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post
    Not one bit...

Look at the actual content, most fruit has like 5-8g of fructose max. There is more sucrose and glucose but carb content is not nearly as important as glycemic load.
    I totally agree with this statement above I tried to rep you, but seems as though I've reached my goonstopher loving limit, haha!

Its only my personal opinion, but in light of the massive assortment of other fruits and nutrition-dense sources of clean calories, I would rather avoid even finite amounts of fructose knowing there exists a cadre of better choices at my disposal. I also supplement with greens and a whole-food derived multi-vitamin daily, so the comparatively paltry and ineffectual nutritional load capacity contained in bananas renders them moot and unessential.
  36. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  206 lbs.
    Answers

Ha same here on returning the rep... Never had that happen to me, not much of a rep sender.

I get what you are saying, I just know my digestive system is much happier since I cut out most complex carbs and replaced them with fruit.
  37. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Answers

This post made me laugh out loud, literally, to the point where people at work kept looking over at me. Some funny stuff that people say lolol. But ya... yay for bananas!

Edit-- *This thread*
  38. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Pipes View Post
    This post made me laugh out loud, literally, to the point where people at work kept looking over at me. Some funny stuff that people say lolol. But ya... yay for bananas!
    Which one? Well, we're glad to have brightened your day
  39. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFury View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WILL DA BEAST View Post
    haha i read about 1/4 of it then was like **** that's alot of info about bananas.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoHNnyNuTZ View Post
    I remember reading an awsome article about a gym coach. He was telling his students to eat bananas because you can get big. He had said something along the lines of " Look at gorrillas. they are freekin huge, and they eat bananas" Wish I remember the cite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeerdre View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernCharm View Post

OHHHH the all mighty snapple well i thought it was gonna be something unreliable like wiki but since its snapple.. LOL
    These are the ones that got me.
  40. Registered User
    Answers

I went to the Zoo recently... and seeing a gorilla up-close, it was surreal. They are literally a well developed hairy pile of muscle; and they are sedentary most of the time - what gives nature?
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 146
    Last Post: 10-13-2009, 10:54 AM
  2. Oranges and Bananas
    By maurice02 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-21-2009, 08:22 AM
  3. Who's more Bananas ???
    By TripDog in forum General Chat
    Replies: 386
    Last Post: 09-20-2007, 05:55 PM