Taking two weeks off from the gym good?

johnjohn12345

Awards
Hi everyone,

First off i have been working out for a year plus since the last time i have taken a break from the gym. Well i feel its that time and i have decided i will be going to do Ireland for 13 days in july...My question will taking this amount of time off be a bad decision for all the hard work and gains i have made? I dont want to loose anything cause i have worked really hard for what i have gained...But i have been told u should take two weeks off from the gym to supercharge your body.

My diet should be pretty good in ireland since i will be eating a lot of fresh foods but does anyone know a little workout plan i can do in my hostel or hotel when i wake up cause i dont want to feel like a total bum or just help me keep my gains if thta be?

thanks!
btw i cant wait to leave! :lol:

johnjohn12345

Awards
I never considered it but i could take my resistance band with me and do a whole workout every couple days in the morning :) !
Good idea to ensure i dont loose anything?

warsteiner

Awards
  • Established
Taking two weeks off won't lose the gains you have made and will give your body a chance to rest and recuperate if you haven't had a break from the gym for a while. Just try to keep your diet clean (go easy on the Guinness) and you will come back refreshed and ready to get back in the gym.

Aviad

Aviad

Board Sponsor
Awards
My thoughts...

I two close to two weeks off as well as I went on a beach type vacation and it was one of the best decisions I made.

This particular vacation was when I was much younger, at this point I had a strong attachement to the gym. Before that break, I couldn't really remember the last time I had taken off.

That is one key to over training, if you can't remember the last time you took time off it's already too long!

As I started my vacation i realized a workout simply wasn't going to happen and I started feeling better about it everyday. I did do a fair amount of walking(4-5 miles a day at least) to and from each meal for the most part everyday, but I definitely didn't waste time trying to find a gym or banging out HIT's protocols in my spare time.

I ate more calories during that vacation that any recent stretch in my life. I was certain I would put on a few but really wasn't worried about it. I don't get paid to workout or diet and feel there is allot life out there to live.

As I look back on it now, that was the best decision I could have made. I think this will be the same for you as well. I doubt years from now when you speak of this vacation, you will be kicking yourself because you didn't take your PX90 DVD with you.

As we all know, if half way nutrition is kept up to par, you won't loose much and in some cases even gain. Unless your in contest prep i say enjoy the break and the vacation from the normal day to day.

When I did get home and finally got to the gym for 2 days or so I found my weight decreased without any loss in strength! Once I got rid of the subcutaneous water, my body looked better than ever! Not sure exactly why if it was from the walking almost every time after a meal, increase in leptin resulting in a jump in metabolism, or just a better overall mood, but I felt incredible when I started to get back to the gym. I had focus, and it felt better to be working out, not like a chore which can sometimes happen.

In my opinion, life is to be lived not to be spent dieting or working out. I feel as workouts, especially on a life experience vacation such as yours, is simply a waste of time. I would keep the alcohol to a minimum if possible as that is something I didn't have to worry about as I don't drink. That could really give you a nice souvenir to take home but again, life is to be lived!

Enjoy that vacation my friend!

johnjohn12345

Awards
First off...

Thanks everyone for the replies!! I feel much better after reading your personal expriences. All of you gave me great information although i will be traveling with a friend so guinness may come around every couple of days hahah

But since i am backpacking i will be doing a ton walking so hopefully i can have the results you did! And like you said working out is starting to feel like a chore and i think its time for a relaxing vacation :)

Thanks for all your guys opinions!

cuse kid

Awards
Good to take time off but if you want to workout in the hotel weight room I would recommed some simple full body movements. Pull-ups, dips & push-ups 7-10 reps x 7-10 sets. Should be done in about 20 minutes and give you a nice pump.

bigzach1234

bigzach1234

Awards
  • Established
if your serious about training.. id at least try do to something even if its not weights.. taking 2 weeks off and going on vacation makes it really hard to get back into when u come back.. just my opinioun.. but.. i took a vacation and worked out only 6 times over 16 days and lost some good muscle.. although like someone said above.. i did slim down quite a bit.. just due to not eatting as much as i normally consume to retain my strength and mass

ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i have gone 3 weeks before and came back stronger than ever

zodiiac523

zodiiac523

Awards
  • Established
if your serious about training.. id at least try do to something even if its not weights.. taking 2 weeks off and going on vacation makes it really hard to get back into when u come back.. just my opinioun.. but.. i took a vacation and worked out only 6 times over 16 days and lost some good muscle.. although like someone said above.. i did slim down quite a bit.. just due to not eatting as much as i normally consume to retain my strength and mass
thats why you lost though bro, IMO i dont think it would hurt at all to take 2 weeks completely off but still try and keep your diet in check and should be refreshed and ready to tear some **** down when you get back in the gym... Longest break i had was 1 week but it definitely revitalized me., I say enjoy your vacation, keep diet in check as much as possible, and your losses would barely be noticeable if at all.. but i know what you mean by feeling like a bum, when i went to florida i would wake up some mornings and take a jog on the beach just because it made me feel less like a lazy asswhole..

johnjohn12345

Awards
Yea i plan on doing a mini workout in the hostels or hotels in the mornining for a little pump and get me going for the day...I CANT WAIT :)

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Every so often when I am really tearing myself up in the gym taking 7-10 days off actually provides more results. Literally I remember once I had platued while lifting, stopped for a week, seemingly blew up, went back into the gym 10lbs stronger on everything....

I highly doubt 2 weeks will kill you, if anything it could be quite healthy.

Acesopro

Awards
To be honest, 2 weeks sounds way too long for a break. Every 8-10 weeks of lifting 5 days a week, I'll take a 1 week break and then hop back on.