Diet Help, is it supposed to be this complicated???

ShockCollar

ShockCollar

Awards
Ive researched, read, and memorized countless articles floating around the internet about diet. I aim to add mass, while minimizing body fat. I realize bulking, then cutting, is an ideal process, but I want to do both. I think its possible for me because I have little muscle mass, and a modest amount of fat. I am 21 years old, 5'11", and weigh 175 lbs. Im somewhat of a lanky guy, with some flab around the chest and lower abdominals. I consider myself an ectomorph. My previous diet consisted of 3-4 meals a day of foods high in saturated fat and high GI carbs, like wendy's baconator and burgerking whoppers. I drank soda and heavy beer, and the only exercise I got was a .35 mile walk to the jobsite and back. Considering all of that, I still weighed 175, and remained pretty skinny. I want to pack on some heat, and now I'm here, looking to you guys for help.

I figure my diet will be 3,000 cals on w/o days and 2400 on non w/o days.

45% from complex carbs, 40% from protein and 15% from good fats, spread into 6 meals a day. (averages to 57g carbs, 50g protein, 9g fat per meal on w/o days).

Could this potentially aid me in gaining lean mass, while burning the fat I currently have? I am also taking MassFXv3, aPCT, 6bromo, whey, and creatine. I workout strenuously 5 days a week, with 1 day restricted to cardio. Can I expect results? Should I change anything?

....seems like a lot of calories for adding mass, but minimizing fat...right?

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Looks on point to me. Everyone responds differently to diets, the beauty of bodybuilding and weightlifting in general. Try it out and after a time add/subtract cals as you see fit.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its always toss a coin really diet specifics wise. Its a good starting point, try it out and if after 2 weeks you feel the need, adjust. I'd prefer to see a little higher % of calories from healthy fats, more in the 20-25% range, with some coming from fish oil and coconut oil.

melanotancjc

Awards
Ideally if you want to be fit you need to watch what you are eating. You need to be food conscious and see if there are some certain facts which could make your diet unbalanced.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
What kind of work do you do? I am guessing that since you didn't gain weight on your previously crappy diet that it involves a reasonable amount of labor.

FYI recomping (changing body composition while maintaining overall weight constant) is slow for anyone at an intermediate or higher level.

Ultimately, how well you execute your plan is going to play a big role in your success. Also, the supps don't make or break success so I wouldn't sweat them too much.

ShockCollar

ShockCollar

Awards
im really not active at all. Im a student right now, at a small college. The activity level I had was walking the .35 or so miles from my truck to a house I was helping a buddy build. Thats the "jobsite" I was referring to, it just what we called it. Other than that, the physical activity was nonexistent. I used to be really active, but that was several years ago. Is my diet/routine considered "recomping?"

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
300g protein seems to be a waste to me at 173lb. Anything over 200g seems a bit too high.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Is my diet/routine considered "recomping?"
I think your calories are in the right ball park. It is not unusual for calorie calculations/estimates to be off by a couple hundred. You will know in a few weeks if you gain/lose weight.

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
300g protein seems to be a waste to me at 173lb. Anything over 200g seems a bit too high.
I was thinking the same thing, especially because he isn't at an advanced fitness level.

IMO I'd drop your PRO to 30%, up your fats to ~25% and see how things go from there.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
eat ur bodyweight + 30 grams in protien, make sure ur meals are low in fats and moderate in carbs. Lift heavy challenge urself. dont over do cardio..... Idk if Jim wendler has a article on it but his nuff protien diet is pretty damn simple and effective. kill ur self in the weight room not in the kitchen

cgoode

cgoode

Awards
  • Established
Caveman diet = outside of supplements dont eat anything u couldnt kill or pick off/out of the ground....meat ( grilled, not fried) nuts, fruits, berries ....Increases muscle mass while decreasing overall bodyfat...I suggest taking a good multi and omega 3's to combat any increase in cholesterol

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Caveman diet = outside of supplements dont eat anything u couldnt kill or pick off/out of the ground....meat ( grilled, not fried) nuts, fruits, berries ....Increases muscle mass while decreasing overall bodyfat...I suggest taking a good multi and omega 3's to combat any increase in cholesterol
Caveman diet aka Paleo has nothing to do with how you prepare your foods and it varies for each person on exactly what you eat. Any kind of minimally processed meat, whether it be a roast, a steak, a piece of chicken, fish, shellfish, etc, is fair game, especially for an athletic person. 6-8oz servings, 3-4x a day is sufficient. Add in veggies to 80% of the meals with about twice as much volume wise as the meat. Top off the carbs with 6-10oz of fruit in the morning (berries are preferred due to low sugar content) and maybe a handful of raisins with a banana post workout. Round the whole thing out with 1-2 servings of nuts a day: almonds, macademia, pecans, or walnuts. Stay away from grains of any kind including corn. Minimal dairy, usually only in the form of whole milk, preferably the nonhomogenized or creamline kind and you have everything covered.

As far as supplements are concerned, if you're eating everything I laid out, you're getting 2x as many nutrients as you need and in very bioavailable ways. I would continue with the omega 3 supps though to keep the o3:eek:6 ratio where it needs to be.

I've had a lot of success putting beginners on a variation of this eating plan. It works for most people, and if tweaked correctly can work for even more.

TelABadManWot

Awards
IMO its more important where you get your protein and carbs rather than measuring everything. Processed food, like burgers and fired chips are nutritionally crap (macro nutrient wise) compared to real food like steak and jacket potatoes.

On your fast food diet you probably built up a dirty reserve of trans fats around your organs and belly which is very hard to shift.

300g + of protein from quality sources (not sugar filled supplements) good food and pure whey is fine with a good workout and exercise regime.

If you havn't already, quit drinking. Stop drinking empty carbs (fizzy pop), no smoking and when your in the gym do circuit training. A high intensity sport could help a lot, cycling, swimming, running.

Your body CANT build muscle AND cut fat at the same time. Concentrate on one then the other with both food and exercise.

Bodybuilding is 80% nutrition, 20% Gym