Question on Carbohydrates

FilipeBR

FilipeBR

Awards
I know that basically everything has carbs, some low GI, others High GI and all that.

I did manage to lose over 18+ on a low carb diet, but I still have some mother* fat that loves me and won't go away...I lost a lot of weight because i came from eating downright dirty to having a brand new clean diet.

My question is this: Should I eliminate all sources of carbs, some ppl say 40-60 a day is all you should have.

I do drink 2 glasses of milk a day, kidney beans with every meal, and veggies. I don't COUNT the carbs...just have myself a nice sized portion.

What do you guys think? Or just maintain my starchy carbs off.

I take a slice of whole wheat bread in the morning as soon as I wake up and another one post workout. Thats my only starchy carb.

sanchezgreg18

sanchezgreg18

Awards
  • Established
I know that basically everything has carbs, some low GI, others High GI and all that.

I did manage to lose over 18+ on a low carb diet, but I still have some mother* fat that loves me and won't go away...I lost a lot of weight because i came from eating downright dirty to having a brand new clean diet.

My question is this: Should I eliminate all sources of carbs, some ppl say 40-60 a day is all you should have.

I do drink 2 glasses of milk a day, kidney beans with every meal, and veggies. I don't COUNT the carbs...just have myself a nice sized portion.

What do you guys think? Or just maintain my starchy carbs off.

I take a slice of whole wheat bread in the morning as soon as I wake up and another one post workout. Thats my only starchy carb.
beans are starchy carbs , and a glass of milk usually has as many carbs as a small piece of bread so I would cut out the milk. have bread or oats only pre and post wo and do TKD and if you cant lose weight on TKD with added cardio and lowered calories then go to regular Keto

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
you've blasted right through 60g carbs with your bread, milk, and beans.
if you're going keto, you need to COUNT. use fitday.com
log everything, fine tune until you're ketotic. you're my size, 80g/day did it for me.

FilipeBR

FilipeBR

Awards
you've blasted right through 60g carbs with your bread, milk, and beans.
if you're going keto, you need to COUNT. use fitday.com
log everything, fine tune until you're ketotic. you're my size, 80g/day did it for me.
Yeah i'm going crazy with this, like Chad says that beans have such a low GI that it's ok to have them with every meal and they also have good protein, so I started having them, other people told me to drink milk because it's anabolic, I just started throwing bread in there because scivation guys say you need that complex carb when u wake up and post workout.

I don't know what to do or who to believe anymore lol

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I don't know what to do or who to believe anymore lol
That is because too many people make too many generalizations about diet and metabolism which are not really simple subjects.

The single most significant factor in bodyweight management is quantity of calories consumed.

Low carb diet and ketosis are NOT requirements for fat loss. These diets do cause a greater initial drop on the scale (but not body fat!) due to water loss associated with glycogen depletion and less food in your system (fat has 9 calories per gram vs 4 for protein and carbs).

So as someone mentioned, get on Fitday.com and start tracking your portions but don't get so hung up every gram of carbs...

gainsvillian

gainsvillian

Awards
Yeah, you need to decide if you want to do the keto diet or not. If you do low carb (high fat) and your body isn't in ketosis, you're going to gain weight...and lack energy.

High GI food will spike your insulin. When insulin spikes, your body is unable to burn fat for energy so it's stored instead. Stick to low GI carbs for weight loss.

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Now I have a question and this night help u to. I take glycobol with 25-75 g of carbs. Is that counted as carbs without taking it? Or can I still consume carbs? Make sense?

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
i would count EVERY carb gram regardless of glycobol. it will help your partitioning in addition to keto and cardio.
when i was keto the only time i had high GI malto was post-WO when i wanted to take advantage of my high insulin.

FilipeBR

FilipeBR

Awards
That is because too many people make too many generalizations about diet and metabolism which are not really simple subjects.

The single most significant factor in bodyweight management is quantity of calories consumed.

Low carb diet and ketosis are NOT requirements for fat loss. These diets do cause a greater initial drop on the scale (but not body fat!) due to water loss associated with glycogen depletion and less food in your system (fat has 9 calories per gram vs 4 for protein and carbs).

So as someone mentioned, get on Fitday.com and start tracking your portions but don't get so hung up every gram of carbs...
What do you recommend then for a carb sensitive person, how many grams of carbs a day??

I found out that my maintenence is around 2700. So to lose i probably shouldn't have over 2400 cals a day, the other guy said low carb / high fat will make me gain weight...

see where this is going?

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Now I have a question and this night help u to. I take glycobol with 25-75 g of carbs. Is that counted as carbs without taking it? Or can I still consume carbs? Make sense?
Yes you still have to count the carbs. If the product works as described, it mimics insulin action so your body would still metabolize the carbs (not prevent their absorption).

That said I am seriously skeptical about these types of supps. They are basically claiming hormonal type effects without being hormones. Not to mention users have absolutely no objective way to tell if they work or not... /rant off

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Wow okk. So I'll just stick to the carbs I consume with gb. I'm on A high protien and high fat content well about 10-20g of fat from fish oil and almonds and sometimes olive oil. Protein the usual 1.5g body weight sometimes more.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
What do you recommend then for a carb sensitive person, how many grams of carbs a day??

I found out that my maintenence is around 2700. So to lose i probably shouldn't have over 2400 cals a day, the other guy said low carb / high fat will make me gain weight...

see where this is going?
Yep and this is why you have to get into the details in order to make sense of it all.

Ok here is a quick science lesson. Energy is the capacity to do work and basically all dynamic systems (animals, plants, machines, etc) need an energy source to function. For us humans, without food energy we die. To prevent that the human body is programmed to be efficient with energy; we can store energy when food is plenty and then use it later. Storage can be in three basic forms: glycogen (carbs) protein (muscle) and the big storage tank - body fat.

Here's another thing: it takes energy to convert one form of energy to another. If the body is to be efficient is does not want to continuously convert. This suggests that the body prefers to store carbs as glycogen and fat as fat. This means that if your SURPLUS calories are coming from fat, it is more likely that they will be stored that way. So you often don't hear much about people using a high fat diet to bulk up. This is irrelevant if you are dieting, it is not that important because you are not storing energy.

I don't suggest that you get hung up on gram targets because they depend on activity level and bodyweight. I recommend using percentages: 30-40% of calories as protein, 20-50% cals as carbs, and 20+% as fat. Juggle to get 100%. Just make sure total cals are in line with your goals.

Phew. :fing02:

jmoney02

Awards
Dang Nitrox! Everytime I see that Iron Maiden avatar, I know I'm gonna learn something.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

see where this is going?
Its going with you not really listening. low carb high fat at under 2700 calories will have you losing weight. High carb low fat at under 2700 calories will have you losing weight. 33/33/33 pro/carb/fat will have you losing weight under 2700 calories.... Total caloric intake - total caloric expenditure = mass gained or lost.

Now on a high carb diet, it can be a wee bit more likely to lose some muscle mass in that higher insulin levels slow lipolysis down. But if its low GI carbs then insulin shouldn't be an issue and so lipolysis should be the same.

In the end, the real trick is for you to try different dietary manipulation, log everything meticulously, run each variant for a minimum of 28 days and compare. Including tracking how you feel, energy levels, mood, etc. Swinging carbs up or down affects different people differently

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Great Advise and VERY TRUE!