Breakfast Importance

TipTopShape

TipTopShape

Awards
  • Established
Is breakfast very important in bulking? A friend of mine is bulking and he eats good throughout the day, but his breakfast is weak compared to the rest of his diet. He normally just eats golden grams or cheerios with milk.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
There really isn't a simple answer to your question. If you are trying to bulk up, then anytime you come up short on calories is a lost opportunity.

If your buddy's last meal of the day is in the evening and his next meal after breakfast is not until noon and he only has a couple hundred calories at breakfast then yes, there probably is room for improvement.

On the other hand, if he has a meal in the middle of the night and a healthy 'second breakfast' then maybe he is doing ok.

See where this is going? Trying to prioritize meal 'importance' is kind of futile because it is very situational.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
breakfast is great to break catabolism. considering the fact that you sleep for 8-9 hours and you are not eating, your body is really starving in the morning. thats perfect time to feed it a ton of nutrients that it will absorb like a sponge. also the food you eat early in the day is better used for energy, rather than food eaten later at night is more likely to be stored as fat.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Breakfast is important whether you are bulking or cutting.

I also think its important, if you can, too have a some whey upon or soon after waking.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If time is an issue or if you don't feel like cooking a solid food meal, check out the link in my signature. I drink a shake like that every day for breakfast (can easily be 700-1000 calories). I mainly use milk, ground oats, a banana, protein powder and maybe peanut butter for extra calories. Taste great too!

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
If time is an issue or if you don't feel like cooking a solid food meal, check out the link in my signature. I drink a shake like that every day for breakfast (can easily be 700-1000 calories). I mainly use milk, ground oats, a banana, protein powder and maybe peanut butter for extra calories. Taste great too!
Sounds exactly like my morning shake! 810 kcal, and about 83 grams of protein!

i add some cinnamon makes it taste great!

TipTopShape

TipTopShape

Awards
  • Established
good insights man! feed me more, and thanks Joshua for the link!

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
Hey the comment about breaking catabolism is very very true...

Our bodies fast through the night...

BREAK FAST (youre breaking that 8 hour fast!)

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
In bulking, getting total number of calories while keeping the macros is important. If you have to eat breakfast to get there, then yes, its important.

As far as someone just maintaining or cutting, in my experience, eating immediately upon waking isn't very important. Your body isn't going through gluconeogenesis at any significant rate when you wake up. I like to let my body hang out in the fasted state from time to time. I'm even reading about intermittent fasting and trying to work that into my plan once every two weeks. The whole idea that your metabolism will slow down if you don't "jump start" it in the morning is false. It takes a few days to a week to actually slow the metabolism down to any considerable rate.