Carbs Against Cardio - Scientific American

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Don't think that there is anything really new here.

I think the ongoing confusion results when people ask for simple answers to complex problems and the health community tries to give them. The vast majority of people do NOT scrutinize calories or quantities of foods consumed. Therefore they are only left with scrutinizing WHAT they eat even though this is only half of the equation.

The human body has evolved systems to utilize both saturated fat as well as carbohydrate. What it has not evolved to utilize (well) are trans-fats (a synthetic trans-fat) and processed, high GI carbs.

The way that I look at it is both quantity and quality of food is important and the two are proportional. Meaning the more you eat a certain food, the higher quality it should be. If you are on a low carb diet then the odd bit of candy is not going to be significantly harmful, however if you are on a high carb diet then the bulk of it should be whole fruits and low-moderate GI legumes and grains. The same argument can be made for consumption of fats. This is the logic that leads to the common balanced diet recommendation.

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Don't think that there is anything really new here.

I think the ongoing confusion results when people ask for simple answers to complex problems and the health community tries to give them. The vast majority of people do NOT scrutinize calories or quantities of foods consumed. Therefore they are only left with scrutinizing WHAT they eat even though this is only half of the equation.

The human body has evolved systems to utilize both saturated fat as well as carbohydrate. What it has not evolved to utilize (well) are trans-fats (a synthetic trans-fat) and processed, high GI carbs.

The way that I look at it is both quantity and quality of food is important and the two are proportional. Meaning the more you eat a certain food, the higher quality it should be. If you are on a low carb diet then the odd bit of candy is not going to be significantly harmful, however if you are on a high carb diet then the bulk of it should be whole fruits and low-moderate GI legumes and grains. The same argument can be made for consumption of fats. This is the logic that leads to the common balanced diet recommendation.
Well said.

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
Well said.
This.

Pretty much everything said in that article has been considered common knowledge in the body building community for years...

I agree with Nitrox, people want simple answers for complex problems... too bad it doesn't quite work like that in the real world.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
solomon-chan Weight Loss 15
Supplements 22
Nutrition / Health 7
cruze1911r1 Nutrition / Health 38
Anabolics 23