is a "pre breakfast" necessary?

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
recently i have been following a program where u wake up and immidiately slam a whey isolate shake down with sum fast carbs like fruit then have a regular breakfast of oats and eggs (in my case) about an hour later. What are ur opinions on this? is this beneficial or woudl it be fine/just as good to jsut ahve a big breakfast, it just seems like im gonna go through my protein alot faster and want to conserve lol but if it is going to help me then iw ill def. keep doing it.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Not needed, just eat more throughout the day, you'll be fine. Key to gaining weight: eat. Eat eat eat.

melanotancjc

Awards
Actually it depends on your diet. Breakfasts must be heavy but you should choose foods into dairy and fruits if you want a good diet. Having a pre-breakfast isn't necessary at all. But as i said it depends on your diet.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Maybe not necessary, but I have a whey shake soon after waking. No carbs, just whey.

Why not?

Give your body some fresh amino's.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
I dont think it's necessary. But I am a fan of a big breakfast. When I eat a big ass breakfast, I normally have a healthier appetite during the rest of the day. My breakfast normally consists of eggs with veggies (spinach, onions, or peppers), a banana or clementine, oats (or 9 grain bread) and some milk. Been drinking some acai juice my girlfriend bought for some extra antioxidants.

Days when I wake up late and I gotta rush, I make a big ass shake

2 scoops optimum nutrition chocolate (60g blended protein, plus 11grams of BCAAs :) )
1 large banana
1/2 oats (sometimes granola instead)
1 cup milk
ice
cinnamon
sometimes peanut butter (extra fat and cals)

IR0Njunkie08

Awards
I've always been told best thing to do as soon as you wake is to get some isolate protein and a good amount of carbs in your system right away to kickstart your metabolism and take your body out of the "deep sleep" catabolic state. Then an hour later have a big balanced breakfast. I've seen some good articles on this topic, if I find em' again ill post it up.

-Iron Junkie

pizzathehut

pizzathehut

Awards
  • Established
Yea i love eating an apple and or banana in morning and about an hour having 2 egg sandwiches with wheat bread, lettuces, havarti jalapeno cheese and couple slices of tomato. Talk about good brotha! My energy levels are usually good and ready to eat by eleven as long as there no customers around me!

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yea, if you could post that article that would be great...... its jsut i like to workout in the morning so lately i have been jsut eating breakfast then going to the gym bout 2 hours later, but if i do the pre breakfast, then wait and hour then eat breakfast its an extra hour of morning gone ya know what i mean.... .i dunno what to do with myself sumtimes for that extra hour lol

coldseed

coldseed

Awards
So to answer your question: No. It's not a necessity.

But it's a great way to get your body into an anabolic state. You just woke up, you have not had any food in 7-8 hours. :)

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
Isn't being anabolic our M.O.? :D

deadaim

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Slamming a shake first thing in the morning would cut off catabolism, however even though it isnt absorbed as fast, just eating a meal should signal your body that it doesnt need to use muscle as energy.

I think a shake in the middle of the night would be better, or just a fat casine shake before bed.

Exposure

Exposure

Awards
Slamming a shake first thing in the morning would cut off catabolism, however even though it isnt absorbed as fast, just eating a meal should signal your body that it doesnt need to use muscle as energy.

I think a shake in the middle of the night would be better, or just a fat casine shake before bed.
The idea of the shake in the middle of the night doesn't appeal to me as it interrupts sleep. With that being said, it would serve a purpose. I personally like the idea of CC or Casein before bed, and a 40-50g whey shake immediately upon waking. If you're like me, you don't get your full 8 hours of sleep. CC or Casein before bed will work just fine. So you have... Interrupt sleep and slam a shake, or make sure your pre-bed nutrition is on point and reap the benefits continuous sleep. Your choice :)

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
if u slam a big shake as soon as u wake u, how long do u then wait until u eat, and how much protein and carbs do u usually have in taht meal?

deadaim

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I would wait at least 30 minutes you dont want the shake to interfere with your eating. Then for breakfast I shoot for 1000calories and at least 50+ grams of protein.

Best way to start the day, bulk of my carbs are breakfast and pwo.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
my breakfasts are ridiculous. Definitely the biggest meal of the day, get me focused at work.... I am not a happy man when I don't get a good breakfast in. I'd rather eat whole foods than a shake ANYDAY... and supplement with whey and casein to meet protein requirements.

Oats, granola, 9 grain bread, eggs (with onions, peppers, spinach, white mushrooms, turkey, etc) fruits, milk....... Always somethign different but its always mm mm good :food:

Exposure

Exposure

Awards
I try top spread my calories evenly throughout the day. My biggest meals being pre (an hour and a half before) and post workout (an hour and a half aftwer training).

Currently, I wake up and drink a shake. I don't eat until 2.5 hours later. The shake is around 350 or so cals. The second meal, which would be my breakfast, is around 600 cals. From here on out I eat every 2-3 hours until my pre-bed meal.

In a way, I eat a "pre-breakfast", but it is only to get me back to an anabolic state as soon as I wake.

I can't seem to eat a lot of "food" in the AM anyway. Even if I am starving.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yea, no idea how u can drink a shake and not eat for another 2.5 hours

pizzathehut

pizzathehut

Awards
  • Established
yea breakfast I think is key.. TO jump start the day. I try to wake up at 5:45 make me a shake(bananas, strawberry, cottage cheese and yogurt) about 2 to 3 hours later eat 4 egg whites and 2 whole eggs and if im still lil hungry 2 slices of ezekiel bread.. then i can start doing my meals throughout the day!

Exposure

Exposure

Awards
yea, no idea how u can drink a shake and not eat for another 2.5 hours
60g of protein and a handful of BCAA. I guess I could eat a bigger breakfast, but I just don't have time. My shake is around 300-350 cals, so it's just as good as an MRP theoretically. My meals throughout the day are larger.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
good pt. i jsut know 300 cals dont keep me full for that long esp in liquid form..... but def. conveinient ill giv eu that

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
ill give you a good example of how hardcore my breakfast is..

the other day i made a 5 egg omelette with low fat cheddar, turkey, turkey bacon, red bell pepper, onion, baby spinach, mushrooms, garlic, etc....

along with 3 pieces of 9 grain toast, 1 with a tsp of natty pb, a glass of natural oj and a banana...

yummmm

coldseed

coldseed

Awards
ill give you a good example of how hardcore my breakfast is..

the other day i made a 5 egg omelette with low fat cheddar, turkey, turkey bacon, red bell pepper, onion, baby spinach, mushrooms, garlic, etc....

along with 3 pieces of 9 grain toast, 1 with a tsp of natty pb, a glass of natural oj and a banana...

yummmm
Daaaaaamn! Sounds delicious! :food:

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
ehhh thats not too much im only 130 and i usually have 4 eggs cheddar red and green peppers, mushroom, canadian bacon big bowl of oats with milk and fruit, step up ur game bro lol

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
I eat lean meat and rice witrh 12oz v8 16oz milk every day for breakfast. That would be 15mins after waking. I work midnight to noon :)

My "breakfast meal" is everyone elses lunch, and I eat:

1 bowl apple oatmeal with 1tbsp pb mixed in
4 hard boiled eggs (only 1 whole, 3 white)
1 piece wheat bread with 1tbsp pb
1 cup or so mixed fruit
1 cup or so diced taters.
USED to have 1 cup cottage cheese also, but they ran out at the chow hall
12 oz v8
16 oz milk
:)

cuse kid

Awards
I was under the impression the two most important times to spike your insulin are right after a workout & right after waking up. I would recommend eating a banana right after you wake up as a pre-break. to spike the insulin.

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
I was under the impression the two most important times to spike your insulin are right after a workout & right after waking up. I would recommend eating a banana right after you wake up as a pre-break. to spike the insulin.
You'd be correct, pre-breakfast is for getting out of catabolic land.

However, I wake up and 2 minutes later leave for chow, normally i throw some cashews in my mouth or something though

UKStrength

I personally don't think it's 'necessary' but if you have a poor appetite overall and find it difficult to make your calorie quota, then definitely a shake first thing might help with that. In terms of anabolism, likely little to no difference than just eating your normal breakfast.