Brown rice VS White rice

TipTopShape

TipTopShape

Awards
  • Established
Some say that brown rice is better than white rice for slimming down. Agree or Disagree?

raulob72

Awards
  • Established
White rice is better post workout because is easy to digest,and brown rice have more protein and is slower digested, make the conclusion

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
The only really difference between the two is the brown rice is partially milled and there for retains much of its fiber. So yes for slimming, brown rice will be your better option. Also there protein content is not really any different as far as what you can digest but i could be wrong on that fact. im not 100%

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
Splitting hairs.
the fiber in brown rice will help keep you fuller longer and brown rice retains much of its nutrients compared to white rice, though i suppose that is not really that important for slimming.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
the fiber in brown rice will help keep you fuller longer and brown rice retains much of its nutrients compared to white rice, though i suppose that is not really that important for slimming.
This would be more relevant if someone sat down and ate a meal solely consisting of rice. By the time you factor in other parts of the meal, such as a protein source and vegetables then the difference from the rice choice is substantially less significant.

On an absolute scale, less processed food is generally preferred but some people can't stand brown rice and the three-fold increase in cooking time for brown rice over white can also be inconvenient.

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
This would be more relevant if someone sat down and ate a meal solely consisting of rice. By the time you factor in other parts of the meal, such as a protein source and vegetables then the difference from the rice choice is substantially less significant.
I have to disagree. Fiber has too many functions to be considered negligible. I read a statistic somewhere that most Americans barely get half the recommended fiber daily. Fiber, in moderation, is great stuff and i would not exclude it unless your getting in lots of fiber in every other meal already

walugi

walugi

Awards
sorry but if you cant stand brown rice there is something wrong with you. It's not exactly delicious, but it really just is... rice

kyoryoko

Awards
If you measure brown rice by weight instead of volume you get more volume,, plus when cooking brown rice you need twice the amount of water you do for white. This makes brown rice look like more food, even though it could be less.
Also, luckily in Japan brown rice is cheaper lol :D

Jet

Awards
  • Established
I have to disagree. Fiber has too many functions to be considered negligible. I read a statistic somewhere that most Americans barely get half the recommended fiber daily. Fiber, in moderation, is great stuff and i would not exclude it unless your getting in lots of fiber in every other meal already
This. The benefits of fiber for health and in the process of digestion aren't negligible. Aren't we always talking about high vs. low GI foods, and how processing reduces the nutritional value of foods? Seems to be the case with brown and white rice. The presence of fiber in brown rice is reason enough to eat it over white rice, and will aid in digestion regardless of what other foods it is or isn't eaten with.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
This. The benefits of fiber for health and in the process of digestion aren't negligible. Aren't we always talking about high vs. low GI foods, and how processing reduces the nutritional value of foods? Seems to be the case with brown and white rice. The presence of fiber in brown rice is reason enough to eat it over white rice, and will aid in digestion regardless of what other foods it is or isn't eaten with.
I never said that the benefits of fiber were negligible. Read the whole thread.

Jet

Awards
  • Established
I never said that the benefits of fiber were negligible. Read the whole thread.
I did read the whole thread. You said that when taking into account protein and vegetables eaten with rice, the effect of fiber from rice is "substantially less significant" and that distinguishing between the two types of rice is "splitting hairs." The presence of fiber in brown rice will slow absorption of all nutrients present in the small intestine, and energy providing nutrients do not provide the same benefits as fiber, so I don't see how the combination of other foods with brown rice lessens the importance of fiber. Other sources of fiber such as vegetables may aide in slowing digestion of white rice when eaten together, but I don't think this makes white rice an equally healthy choice when compared to brown rice.

Not trying to pick a fight here, just having a discussion.

int3grat

int3grat

Awards
i've grown accustom to brown rice now, as long as u put the right amount of water, its actually really tasty

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I did read the whole thread. You said that when taking into account protein and vegetables eaten with rice, the effect of fiber from rice is "substantially less significant" and that distinguishing between the two types of rice is "splitting hairs." The presence of fiber in brown rice will slow absorption of all nutrients present in the small intestine, and energy providing nutrients do not provide the same benefits as fiber, so I don't see how the combination of other foods with brown rice lessens the importance of fiber. Other sources of fiber such as vegetables may aide in slowing digestion of white rice when eaten together, but I don't think this makes white rice an equally healthy choice when compared to brown rice.

Not trying to pick a fight here, just having a discussion.
No prob - just pressed for time on that last post.

All I am getting at is that depending on one's overall diet, there may not be that much of a sacrifice going to white over brown. On an absolute scale yes, brown rice has a higher food value.

Using your GI example, the real consideration is the glycemic LOAD of the meal (GI x quantity of carbs). If the quantity of carbs is low then GI will not be as important.

xxjoker122

Awards
white rice turns to sugar go with brown rice ..i eat it every day with every postworkout

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
white rice turns to sugar go with brown rice ..i eat it every day with every postworkout
the only real noteworthy difference between brown rice and white rice is the intact fiber on brown rice and all carbs are eventually broken down into glucose if thats what your mean.....

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
uhmm all carbs turn to glucose after ingestion.

white rice and brown rice glycemic index is 77 and 76 respectivly depending on the grain of white rice.

But brown rice has more nutrients and fiber which makes it better for you.

but if you meet all your requirements for vitamins minerals and fiber, then it really wont matter what you choose IMO

GregW

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Rice for slimming down??!!!!! GTFO!!! haha.

brown, green, yellow, or blue rice - I don't care. Avoid it if you're slimming down :)

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
If only white rice turns to sugar, what does brown rice convert to? :tounge-in-cheek:

ocman

Awards
This is a good article, take out the space after the ":",

http: //diabetes.webmd.com/news/20100614/brown-rice-vs-white-rice-which-is-better