Brown rice VS White rice

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.87%

Brown rice VS White rice

Some say that brown rice is better than white rice for slimming down. Agree or Disagree?

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.8%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Talking

White rice is better post workout because is easy to digest,and brown rice have more protein and is slower digested, make the conclusion
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.61%

The only really difference between the two is the brown rice is partially milled and there for retains much of its fiber. So yes for slimming, brown rice will be your better option. Also there protein content is not really any different as far as what you can digest but i could be wrong on that fact. im not 100%
    •   

4. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.13%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Splitting hairs.
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.61%

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrox View Post
    Splitting hairs.
    the fiber in brown rice will help keep you fuller longer and brown rice retains much of its nutrients compared to white rice, though i suppose that is not really that important for slimming.
  6. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.13%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Frequency View Post
    the fiber in brown rice will help keep you fuller longer and brown rice retains much of its nutrients compared to white rice, though i suppose that is not really that important for slimming.
    This would be more relevant if someone sat down and ate a meal solely consisting of rice. By the time you factor in other parts of the meal, such as a protein source and vegetables then the difference from the rice choice is substantially less significant.

On an absolute scale, less processed food is generally preferred but some people can't stand brown rice and the three-fold increase in cooking time for brown rice over white can also be inconvenient.
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.61%

This would be more relevant if someone sat down and ate a meal solely consisting of rice. By the time you factor in other parts of the meal, such as a protein source and vegetables then the difference from the rice choice is substantially less significant.
    I have to disagree. Fiber has too many functions to be considered negligible. I read a statistic somewhere that most Americans barely get half the recommended fiber daily. Fiber, in moderation, is great stuff and i would not exclude it unless your getting in lots of fiber in every other meal already
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  88 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.17%

sorry but if you cant stand brown rice there is something wrong with you. It's not exactly delicious, but it really just is... rice
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.55%

If you measure brown rice by weight instead of volume you get more volume,, plus when cooking brown rice you need twice the amount of water you do for white. This makes brown rice look like more food, even though it could be less.
    Also, luckily in Japan brown rice is cheaper lol
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.14%

Quote Originally Posted by Frequency View Post
    I have to disagree. Fiber has too many functions to be considered negligible. I read a statistic somewhere that most Americans barely get half the recommended fiber daily. Fiber, in moderation, is great stuff and i would not exclude it unless your getting in lots of fiber in every other meal already
    This. The benefits of fiber for health and in the process of digestion aren't negligible. Aren't we always talking about high vs. low GI foods, and how processing reduces the nutritional value of foods? Seems to be the case with brown and white rice. The presence of fiber in brown rice is reason enough to eat it over white rice, and will aid in digestion regardless of what other foods it is or isn't eaten with.
  11. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.13%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Jet View Post
    This. The benefits of fiber for health and in the process of digestion aren't negligible. Aren't we always talking about high vs. low GI foods, and how processing reduces the nutritional value of foods? Seems to be the case with brown and white rice. The presence of fiber in brown rice is reason enough to eat it over white rice, and will aid in digestion regardless of what other foods it is or isn't eaten with.
    I never said that the benefits of fiber were negligible. Read the whole thread.
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.14%

I never said that the benefits of fiber were negligible. Read the whole thread.
    I did read the whole thread. You said that when taking into account protein and vegetables eaten with rice, the effect of fiber from rice is "substantially less significant" and that distinguishing between the two types of rice is "splitting hairs." The presence of fiber in brown rice will slow absorption of all nutrients present in the small intestine, and energy providing nutrients do not provide the same benefits as fiber, so I don't see how the combination of other foods with brown rice lessens the importance of fiber. Other sources of fiber such as vegetables may aide in slowing digestion of white rice when eaten together, but I don't think this makes white rice an equally healthy choice when compared to brown rice.

Not trying to pick a fight here, just having a discussion.
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.32%

i've grown accustom to brown rice now, as long as u put the right amount of water, its actually really tasty
  14. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.13%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Jet View Post
    I did read the whole thread. You said that when taking into account protein and vegetables eaten with rice, the effect of fiber from rice is "substantially less significant" and that distinguishing between the two types of rice is "splitting hairs." The presence of fiber in brown rice will slow absorption of all nutrients present in the small intestine, and energy providing nutrients do not provide the same benefits as fiber, so I don't see how the combination of other foods with brown rice lessens the importance of fiber. Other sources of fiber such as vegetables may aide in slowing digestion of white rice when eaten together, but I don't think this makes white rice an equally healthy choice when compared to brown rice.

Not trying to pick a fight here, just having a discussion.
    No prob - just pressed for time on that last post.

All I am getting at is that depending on one's overall diet, there may not be that much of a sacrifice going to white over brown. On an absolute scale yes, brown rice has a higher food value.

Using your GI example, the real consideration is the glycemic LOAD of the meal (GI x quantity of carbs). If the quantity of carbs is low then GI will not be as important.
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.67%

white rice turns to sugar go with brown rice ..i eat it every day with every postworkout
  16. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.61%

Quote Originally Posted by xxjoker122 View Post
    white rice turns to sugar go with brown rice ..i eat it every day with every postworkout
    the only real noteworthy difference between brown rice and white rice is the intact fiber on brown rice and all carbs are eventually broken down into glucose if thats what your mean.....
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.55%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by xxjoker122 View Post
    uhmm all carbs turn to glucose after ingestion.

white rice and brown rice glycemic index is 77 and 76 respectivly depending on the grain of white rice.

But brown rice has more nutrients and fiber which makes it better for you.

but if you meet all your requirements for vitamins minerals and fiber, then it really wont matter what you choose IMO
  18. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.22%

Rice for slimming down??!!!!! GTFO!!! haha.

brown, green, yellow, or blue rice - I don't care. Avoid it if you're slimming down
  19. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'5"  227 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.58%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

If only white rice turns to sugar, what does brown rice convert to?
  20. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.13%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Bionic View Post
    If only white rice turns to sugar, what does brown rice convert to?
    Brown sugar!
  21. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20%

This is a good article, take out the space after the ":",

http: //diabetes.webmd.com/news/20100614/brown-rice-vs-white-rice-which-is-better

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-15-2011, 03:47 PM
  2. More Brown Rice Less White Rice Could Reduce Diabetes Risk
    By MAxximal in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-24-2010, 05:36 PM
  3. Whire rice or brown rice??
    By doclegion in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-01-2009, 08:53 PM
  4. Brown rice Q's