how important is a multivitamin??? ha

roachboy101

Awards
hey guys, everything i get into as far as protein, pre wrkout etc gets pretty expensive and multi's seem pricey as well. just wondering if multi's are that important or what haha stupid question..

thanks in advance

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established
Multis aren't that expensive, and I dunno do you think your health is important? haha I'd get multis before pre workout supps but thats just beacause I like my healthy body lol

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
Multi's are good stuff. Truth be told, I'm not too convinced there is a huge difference between the cheap and expensive multi's. Sure, your more expensive multi's are probably going to have more bioavailable forms of vitamins, but multi's are overdosed anyways. You'll never get 100% absorption with a multi, if your body doesn't need it its going to be excreted and different nutrients/minerals need different environments to be optimally absorbed anyways.

But i'd still get a multi, even if its a cheap one. Diet wise, multivitamins are an insurance policy. It'll fill in the cracks, so to speak, because (outside of health conditions that will effect absorption) your body will be able to get what your diet is not optimally providing.

Eric160

Awards
  • Established
animal pak

cheap with everything u need and more pluss aminos

Jake Fires

Jake Fires

Awards
  • Established
ive been using Russian Bear Multivitamins.

these got alot of different stuff in it like some herbs and anabolic activators as well as antioxidants.

but ya you can just buy some reg vitamins at you local drug store and take twice a day (1 with breakfast 1 with dinner) and youll be good. i also believe that vitamins are vitamins why pay more for the same stuff. o yah thats right the package does look cooler.

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
I've been taking Centrum for years, what's the jury on those?

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am never without my Orange Triad. When NP has a sale I always stock up.

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am never without my Orange Triad. When NP has a sale I always stock up.
This is what I am currently taking, and I actually started taking it as a result of winning a controlled contest, which turned me on to them.

Vitamins are Vitamins. Also sure, they might have a bit more of certain vitamins then are needed. However, you can't deny that the nutritional needs of an athlete are higher then that provided by your average daily. I am more then happy with my Orange Triad, and can't really image a reason in which I would switch from them.

ryanp81

ryanp81

Awards
  • Established
MVP by MST all they way, the best MV on the planet.

zodiiac523

zodiiac523

Awards
  • Established
best bang for buck multi IMO is NOW's ADAM or ON's Opti-Men

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
If your diet sux then multi's are important. If your diet is excellent then not so much.

Costco multi ftw...

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
If your diet sux then multi's are important. If your diet is excellent then not so much.

Costco multi ftw...
diet on or not multis can be had dirt cheap and should be a part of your regimen

bmcjames

bmcjames

Awards
  • Established
Hell's Yeaah! I am repping the now ADAM Multi vitamins from nutraplanet...
Like $10 for 1 months supply you cant go wrong with that....

There have been times though when my diet was focused around the dollar store and I couldn't even afford vitamins, like several months straight :(, (being self employed can be very tough) but for the most part if I have the money I wont skip them not even for a day....

I like to think of them more of peace of mind and insurance rather than necessary. I would much rather spend the $10 a month than get sick and lose 3 weeks worth of gains (or more, getting pneumonia is not bueno...)

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
I used to think that a MV was extremely important. Now, not so much. If your diet is focused around whole foods with minimal processing, your body will get more than enough vitamins and minerals.

For the bodybuilder crowd, however, that seem to avoid fruit and rarely consume veggies: get tested to find out what vitamins you're actually lacking. I think supplementing with individual vitamins is much better than a one size fits all multi.

bluehealer

bluehealer

Awards
  • Established
hey guys, everything i get into as far as protein, pre wrkout etc gets pretty expensive and multi's seem pricey as well. just wondering if multi's are that important or what haha stupid question..

thanks in advance
multi's are over-rated.

Swoleosis

Awards
If your gonna take em you gotta take the best. why would you try so hard to get the best supps and crap out on a store brand multi. Life Extension all the way..

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Realistically if you are eating properly you do not need a multi-vitamin. In fact there are vitamins and minerals that can be harmful if you take too much.

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
If your gonna take em you gotta take the best. why would you try so hard to get the best supps and crap out on a store brand multi. Life Extension all the way..
Like a lot of people are saying if you have a decent diet then a MV isnt quite so important. If i was doing a hard core cut then i think a quality MV is in order but, IMO to dump a lot of money on a MV is more or less a waste. I dont really drop a lot of money on supps anyhow.

Realistically if you are eating properly you do not need a multi-vitamin. In fact there are vitamins and minerals that can be harmful if you take too much.
Iron is really the only one this is one that comes to mind that you can more easily over do and most mens multis dont have any in them. I dont know of any other ones that are all that easy to over dose on but im really not knowledgeable on the majority of vitamins

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Like a lot of people are saying if you have a decent diet then a MV isnt quite so important. If i was doing a hard core cut then i think a quality MV is in order but, IMO to dump a lot of money on a MV is more or less a waste. I dont really drop a lot of money on supps anyhow.

Iron is really the only one this is one that comes to mind that you can more easily over do and most mens multis dont have any in them. I dont know of any other ones that are all that easy to over dose on but im really not knowledgeable on the majority of vitamins

All the fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K) have a toxic level and are more of a concern than water-soluble vitamins because they are stored in the body longer. Also, zinc, magnesium, calcium, and others can have reach toxic levels, affect they way our body's work, or even cause irreversible harm.

Not that all of these are easy to meet. Some are easier than others and most of the time is not a concern, but when people have certain illness or star mega dosing multivitamins and take other supps that have a lot of the same things in then you start reaching the possibility of surpassing the UL guidelines.

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
not important at all. studies prove that people who supp with a multi have a shorter life expectancy. Google the Harvard study.

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
i've read that synthetic vitamins can cause cancer. and centrum has synthetic vitamins.

http://www.chiff.com/a/natural-vitamin.htm is an example i found in 5 seconds just now.
Chicken causes cancer mate:
http://cancer.about.com/od/foodguide/a/grillingmeat.htm

I don't buy into the cancer thing tbh. Why? Literally everything causes cancer...I'm serious google <anything> cause cancer? and you will find some study about it lol.

That being said, I take Adam, 10bucks is great.

orangerain

Awards
Multivitamins are very important for me because I have this tendency of getting sick if I work out too much. If you want to be at the top of your health, you should allot budget for multis. I don't think they're too expensive though.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
A good multi is great, but they are usually overdosing you. Now Green pills, those things almost give me a high when I take them. I feel so amazing.

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
Chicken causes cancer mate:
http://cancer.about.com/od/foodguide/a/grillingmeat.htm

I don't buy into the cancer thing tbh. Why? Literally everything causes cancer...I'm serious google <anything> cause cancer? and you will find some study about it lol.

That being said, I take Adam, 10bucks is great.
inorite
Just about everything is going to release free radicals into your system. If its dumping a **** ton then i can understand but i hate fear mongering

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
inorite
Just about everything is going to release free radicals into your system. If its dumping a **** ton then i can understand but i hate fear mongering

whatever dude.

exercise your freedom to not be ''scared'' by 'fear mongering'.

with so many carcinogens present in modern society to be exposed to, you would think people would try to limit the ones they can .

and yes, i agree with the poster who said some chicken can cause cancer........this is why people prefer their chicken to NOT have hormones pumped into them. DUH? thats why people use organic foods.

in any case, the moral of the story is : if you're going to use something as a supplement, why supplement with trash?

if you're going to buy coq10, get ubiquinol.
if you're going to get milk thistle, get liver juice ( 80% absorbed vs 8%).
and if you're going to get vitamins, make sure they aren't synthetic.

thats all.

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
whatever dude.

with so many carcinogens present in modern society to be exposed to, you would think people would try to limit the ones they can .

and yes, i agree with the poster who said some chicken can cause cancer........this is why people prefer their chicken to NOT have hormones pumped into them. DUH? thats why people use organic foods.
*****That particular article talks about charring meat makes it cancerous But there are other articles that talk about chemical changes (possibly creatine as well. its been a while i dont remember.) in the meat (pork and beef are the only ones ive seen) that cause free radicals to form just from cooking in any fashion. Organinc foods wont save you from any of that. DUH? *****

in any case, the moral of the story is : if you're going to use something as a supplement, why supplement with trash?
*****Because some of us cant afford 30+ dollars a month on vitamins?*****

*****these are ideal suggestions for anyone but it all boils down to money*****

thats all.
That is all

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
Get ADAM. Cheap as the **** in stores.
I actually use them. I wasnt aware the tabs were not synthetic though i never actually cared to check. Still might be a little pricer than those who can onlly really spend money on the basics are going to want to spend.

Again though there are so many things out there that will throw free radicals your way that you cant criticize synthetic vitamin users if your not avoiding everythg within your resonable ability.

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
whatever dude.

thats all.

I don't have a choice for the most part mate. I drink milk that has a shelf life of 2 years at 70 degrees. That can't be that good for you. ALL the food I eat is processed too...but there is no organic food in a chow hall, hell, some of the beef is actually horse too (horse is delish though)

My point was more of a "look, everything causes cancer, don't sweat the small ****" approach. Synthetic vitamins may cause cancer, grilling chicken may cause cancer, you can't even count the things that MAY cause cancer. Instead of worrying about your vitamins maybe being synthetic and maybe causing cancer, worry about not smoking, and not sitting in tanning booths every day. There is too much crap that might give you cancer, and really...synthetic vitamins...there is no way to even prove those cause cancer...because you can't survive on vitamins alone. You can't have a successful control group to even figure that one out lol. I dunno man, I respect your opinions, but truth is some people can't afford designer vitamins, and some people just dont care.

To support my statements:

http://channels.isp.netscape.com/whatsnew/package.jsp?name=fte/breadandcancer/breadandcancer&floc=wn-nx

There. All of us will have kidney cancer. This study was published in the International Journal of Cancer too. I dunno man. Cancer causing studies are bs to me.

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
Exactly eventually you have to reach a point of saying "enough is enough". You can move away from the highly populated areas, ditch your car, become a vegan eating only organics and artificial nothing, ditch all plastic food container/utensils, make your own soaps and clothes, Spend only limited amounts of time in the sun properly clothed to minimize exposure time, and eliminate any electricity intensive appliances to minimize electromagnetic exposure, but where do you draw the line. You pretty much have to be a vegan Amish, which i dont even think is possible, and even then are you safe? lol

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
Smeh... Natural. Synthetic.

IMO it doesn't really matter.

The dose makes the poison.

Cancer? Its statistics. Considering humans are continuing to live longer and longer, its really just a matter of time. DNA can only replicate so many times before cancer develops.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
I actually use them. I wasnt aware the tabs were not synthetic though i never actually cared to check. Still might be a little pricer than those who can onlly really spend money on the basics are going to want to spend.

Again though there are so many things out there that will throw free radicals your way that you cant criticize synthetic vitamin users if your not avoiding everythg within your resonable ability.
There still made in a lab, but closer to nature if you do the research.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
I don't have a choice for the most part mate. I drink milk that has a shelf life of 2 years at 70 degrees. That can't be that good for you. ALL the food I eat is processed too...but there is no organic food in a chow hall, hell, some of the beef is actually horse too (horse is delish though)

My point was more of a "look, everything causes cancer, don't sweat the small ****" approach. Synthetic vitamins may cause cancer, grilling chicken may cause cancer, you can't even count the things that MAY cause cancer. Instead of worrying about your vitamins maybe being synthetic and maybe causing cancer, worry about not smoking, and not sitting in tanning booths every day. There is too much crap that might give you cancer, and really...synthetic vitamins...there is no way to even prove those cause cancer...because you can't survive on vitamins alone. You can't have a successful control group to even figure that one out lol. I dunno man, I respect your opinions, but truth is some people can't afford designer vitamins, and some people just dont care.

To support my statements:

http://channels.isp.netscape.com/whatsnew/package.jsp?name=fte/breadandcancer/breadandcancer&floc=wn-nx

There. All of us will have kidney cancer. This study was published in the International Journal of Cancer too. I dunno man. Cancer causing studies are bs to me.

Listen, i COMPLETELY understand the money aspect being the end all in nutrition.

I do not buy organic ANYTHING. I'm just sayin, if you are going to spend the money on the supps, get ones that work. spending 5 bucks on dogsh*t is not a better deal than spending 20$ on something that will help you.

For the record, i use ADAM multi. I mainly was just hating on centrum. I didn't mean for this to get out of control concerning humans, the environment, and carcinogens.

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
Listen, i COMPLETELY understand the money aspect being the end all in nutrition.

I do not buy organic ANYTHING. I'm just sayin, if you are going to spend the money on the supps, get ones that work. spending 5 bucks on dogsh*t is not a better deal than spending 20$ on something that will help you.

For the record, i use ADAM multi. I mainly was just hating on centrum. I didn't mean for this to get out of control concerning humans, the environment, and carcinogens.
Oh I agree, I used to use Centrum, and now use ADAM. Yeah, its maybe like 10-15 bucks more expensive over a 3 months span, but I have the money to do a lot better than ADAM, but I like the profile it has for 10 bucks ya know. I am a bargain shopper, and totally agree with you, you need to be using quality stuff, I was just picking a side for arguments sake :) I love your avi btw way lol!!!

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established

yeah it did get a little out of hand. Why didnt you just say you use adam in the first place lol. Anyhow my only point was that sometimes that 5 bucks is really all some people can splurge at times. In those cases i think centrum, or whatever 5 buck bottle, will suffice. The end

Chico222

Awards

thanks in advance
It's not a stupid question. Multivitamns are like an insurance for your health. While we try to eat healthy, we still have little "holes" in diet. The multi is to patch 'm up and get all those vitamins daily, which is important for people who beat their bodies everyday in the gym <---us. Drop the pre-workout stuff, just drink some black coffee that's all you need. Instead, look into fish oil, its got a bunch of pros and even helps your joints, a plus when pulling 325lbs+.

Multis aren't expensive. I take Orange Triad, its like 27 for a 90 day supply. Animal Pak gets great reviews too, but a tad more expensive.