High Creatinine & BUN Levels

balco23

Awards
I'm an avid lifter, training 5-6 days a week. I do cardio for 35mins followed by training 1-2 body parts. I've been working out for nearly a decade, I am 5'8 200lbs 33 yrs old about 12-14% BF. My diet consistes of 6-7 meals consisting of meat proteins, shakes, veggies, fruits, fiber, fats. Now let me start by saying I have probably used every otc supplement on the market from M1T to peraphlex to havoc, creatine, no's etc etc. i supplement everyday w/ fish oil, multi, magnesium, dandellion root, omegas, biotin etc.

I recently went for routine blood test and my doc was concerned about my kidney function. He said my creatine levels were too high (1.9) and said to cut down on protein shakes and that I should cut the magic number down to 100g. I always lived by at least 1lb per body weight, so I usually shhot for 150-200 daily??? I have also read on blogs and forums that people who excercise daily would show higher levels? My doctor seems very concerned and has sent me to do vigurous testing on kidney function. I'm fine w/ him being cautious but is there any reason for me to be concened? Also just a side note, although I have been working out consistently for yrs, there was one point n time where I took off about a year and had blood work done, and during that point my creatine level was at 1.7!

Any feedback from anyone who has experience or knowledge would be appreciated. SORRY FOR RAMBLING!

CrazyBassGuy

Awards
Maybe a silly question. Are you supplementing with creatine?

I have always been told that you should tell your doc if you are using creatine, because it will skew your kidney tests

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
What the above poster said. Are you taking creatine?

IMO I don't think you're protein shakes would have anything to do with your creatinine levels.... not that you should take my advice as golden but at then again I would never take nutritional advice from a doctor.

Its very typical for an athletic, active, muscular individual to have creatinine levels higher than 1.7. I want to say that the average professional bodybuilder has creatinine excretion levels of around 2.2, but i'm not sure how accurate that stat is. I'm not overly familiar with renal tests, but I'd suggest getting a full-spectrum renal test (I'm assuming he didn't give you one?) and then compare the levels of your other metabolites in comparison to your creatinine, and see how that plays out.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm an avid lifter, training 5-6 days a week. I do cardio for 35mins followed by training 1-2 body parts. I've been working out for nearly a decade, I am 5'8 200lbs 33 yrs old about 12-14% BF. My diet consistes of 6-7 meals consisting of meat proteins, shakes, veggies, fruits, fiber, fats. Now let me start by saying I have probably used every otc supplement on the market from M1T to peraphlex to havoc, creatine, no's etc etc. i supplement everyday w/ fish oil, multi, magnesium, dandellion root, omegas, biotin etc.

I recently went for routine blood test and my doc was concerned about my kidney function. He said my creatine levels were too high (1.9) and said to cut down on protein shakes and that I should cut the magic number down to 100g. I always lived by at least 1lb per body weight, so I usually shhot for 150-200 daily??? I have also read on blogs and forums that people who excercise daily would show higher levels? My doctor seems very concerned and has sent me to do vigurous testing on kidney function. I'm fine w/ him being cautious but is there any reason for me to be concened? Also just a side note, although I have been working out consistently for yrs, there was one point n time where I took off about a year and had blood work done, and during that point my creatine level was at 1.7!

Any feedback from anyone who has experience or knowledge would be appreciated. SORRY FOR RAMBLING!
he test your GFR?

theres usually a ratio for BUN:Creatinine