Hows my diet look??

ronaldino

Awards
Hey everyone! First post on anabolic minds! I am 17 and I have been looking through the sites threads a lot in the past few months and have learned a lot! I have been working out for the past 2 years however I have not worked out in the past 4 months due to family issues and the college process, I practically lost any form of shape I was in, I went from 11% bf to 18% :(.... I am getting back into it again and want to make sure my diet is in check as i believe it is the most important part in reaching my goals at my age. I know I might get flamed for this but I AM hoping to lower my body fat percentage and gain muscle at the same time. I am hoping that after such a long break in training as well as eating healthy, I might be able to drop body fat fairly easy while gaining muscle as well. So far these are sample diets I have come up with. I greatly appreciate everyones help and am glad to be part of the anabolic minds community. And I promise I wont be the kid reposting stupid topics that could easily be searched :) I am just posting this to get some positive criticism and to try and perfect my diet. And yes it is probably noobish as I have never kept a strict diet before.

Some Stats:
184 lbs.
6''1
17 years old
about 18% body fat

Here's what I have come up with:

Breakfast: 

2 whole eggs
1 packet oatmeal with fat free milk
Syntha 6 shake with fat free milk
Multivitamin

Snack
2 tablespoons of natty peanut butter

Lunch: 

8 oz lean meat/chicken
1 cup of brown rice
1 cup of veggies

After School: 

Smoothie

Dinner: 

8 oz lean meat/ chicken
1 cup of brown rice
1 cup of veggies

Before Bed: 1% cottage cheese and/or peanut butter

POST WORKOUT:
2 SCOOPS ON WHEY, KRE ALKALYN, GLUTAMINE (possibly dextrose as well? Tell me what you think about post workout carbs as I am jumbled with all the different opinions on it and how much to put in)

Thanks again everyone!

gainsvillian

gainsvillian

Awards
Nice start. Seems like you got a good head on your shoulders for your age. Not too many people so young put as much thought into the diet, when it's by far the most important thing you could do.

Just a few things to clean up your diet that are small changes but will be effective in getting to your goals -

Sounds like your using instant outmeal? Switch that out for quick cooking oats. Still takes 1 minute to cook, but doesn't have the sugar instant oatmeal does. I like to mix in 1 scoop of whey and 1 tbsp of natty pb w/ 1/2 cup of oats. 365 cals, 32-32-13 (C-P-F)

If you're cooking up eggs for breakfast already, might as well throw some egg whites in there and get some extra protien. 2 eggs only have 8g protien, so throw in 2 or 3 egg whites, which will add 10-15g protien. Try and use whole eggs w/ Omega 3's also, like Egglands Best.

Personally, I cut out milk from my diet, but people have mixed thoughts on this. At your age, it's probably best to stick with skim milk, but if you're goal is to cut, I would switch out the milk for water when mixing shakes and oats.

Are you making the smoothies yourself or buying them from a Smoothie King type place? Be careful b/c they can add a ton of sugar to their smoothies, and some have over 1000cals. If you're making these at home you can run the macros to see if its worth it (depending on what you like to put in it), but I eat oats/protien/pb as both my morning and afternoon snack.

Before bed I would just stick with Fat Free cottage cheese. 1 cup has 120 cals and 30g casein protien, which absorbs slowly, ie: while you sleep. The PB doesn't add any significant value before bed on its own.

Postworkout, I like Dextrose as my carb source. Nutraplanet has a good buy from NOW foods - $3.99 for 2lbs

Hope this helps

WarMachine000

WarMachine000

Awards
  • Established
Good diet for a first approach. Remember though- nothing is set in stone. Gainsvillian has some good advice. Try the skim milk. If you're not seeing results in a couple of weeks, switch to water.
If you're drinking energy drinks or sodas- cut them out. They're only sugar. I suspect this isn't the case, but worth a mention.
Quick oats anything home cooked, is better for your body and wallet than instant stuff. Chicken breasts and brown rice are really easy to cook- and brown rice takes just a few minutes. Cook double portions every time and put half up so you only cook and do dishes half as much.
I'm glad to see you're not on any "starvation diet" or anything.
Good luck with your training.
There are always little places that you can make adjustments. As time progresses assess your diet vs weight lost. Always look for ways to tweak your diet.

ronaldino

Awards
Thanks guys I really appreciate it. All this information is really helpful. Gainsvillain, Thanks for the advice. I will most likely be switching to quick cooking oats which I have at home too. Just figured being around all the junk I'm around today I'd find it hard to stay motivated with food so bland. (the chicken is hell to eat everyday haha) Also I would be making my own smoothie. None of that smoothie king fruit powder and sugar crap haha. Im mixing in about half a cup of strawberries, a banana, ice, oj, and possibly some vanilla protein powder. I thought of just making a protein shake for afternoon snack as well but I guess I just wanted to keep it interesting. I'll wait and see how this goes, I might change it to protein shake with water eventually. Im hoping for newbie gains right now :) as Ive got some fat on me and weak muscles ever since I stopped working out and eating right. I also will be mixing in some egg whites with my whole eggs in the morning. Thank you. I am still getting some mixed opinions on post workout carbs however so I am still skeptical of those. Thanks for all the help!

WarMachine000

WarMachine000

Awards
  • Established
Peanut butter, fruit, and cooked oatmeal into a protein shake =yummy mix

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
Take in between 40-60 grams of simple carbs postworkout with your protein, glutamine, creatine. You know Optimum Nutrition makes a powder called AFTER MAX. Look it up. Its 40 gm whey, 40 gm Simple carbs, 5gm creatine, and 5 gm glutamine in one powder. I liked the vanilla with a little orange juice, or orange crystal light. Its good and one stop shopping. Might make it easier on your wallet too. Make sure you get some beef and fish in your diet too. Dont be afraid of whole eggs. Arnold ate whole eggs. You have a lot of room to grow. If you are active and training hard you will need it, and will not get fat from it. There is no reason for you to be on a super strict diet. You need whole food calories to grow on. Drink milk, and eat son. Train hard doing a lot of heavy compound movements, like squats, deadlift, bench press, military press, pull ups, heavy barbell rows, and barbell curls, skull crushers, standing barbell presses. Lift heavy, and eat well.

fitnessbyalex

fitnessbyalex

Awards
Hey everyone! First post on anabolic minds! I am 17 and I have been looking through the sites threads a lot in the past few months and have learned a lot! I have been working out for the past 2 years however I have not worked out in the past 4 months due to family issues and the college process, I practically lost any form of shape I was in, I went from 11% bf to 18% :(.... I am getting back into it again and want to make sure my diet is in check as i believe it is the most important part in reaching my goals at my age. I know I might get flamed for this but I AM hoping to lower my body fat percentage and gain muscle at the same time. I am hoping that after such a long break in training as well as eating healthy, I might be able to drop body fat fairly easy while gaining muscle as well. So far these are sample diets I have come up with. I greatly appreciate everyones help and am glad to be part of the anabolic minds community. And I promise I wont be the kid reposting stupid topics that could easily be searched :) I am just posting this to get some positive criticism and to try and perfect my diet. And yes it is probably noobish as I have never kept a strict diet before.

Some Stats:
184 lbs.
6''1
17 years old
about 18% body fat

Here's what I have come up with:

Breakfast: 

2 whole eggs
1 packet oatmeal with fat free milk
Syntha 6 shake with fat free milk
Multivitamin

Snack
2 tablespoons of natty peanut butter

Lunch: 

8 oz lean meat/chicken
1 cup of brown rice
1 cup of veggies

After School: 

Smoothie

Dinner: 

8 oz lean meat/ chicken
1 cup of brown rice
1 cup of veggies

Before Bed: 1% cottage cheese and/or peanut butter

POST WORKOUT:
2 SCOOPS ON WHEY, KRE ALKALYN, GLUTAMINE (possibly dextrose as well? Tell me what you think about post workout carbs as I am jumbled with all the different opinions on it and how much to put in)

Thanks again everyone!
Hey bro,

Try to eat about 225-250g protein per day split evenly between 5-6 meals. 150g carbs on training days (eat 50g with breakfast, pre workout and post workout meals). On non training days you can cut your carbs to 100 or even to 50. Cycle them around a little bit. Fats - take an EFA/Omega-3 supplement and stick to lean meats like chicken/turkey breast/white fish/egg whites etc. It is okay to have one meal of lean red meat (usually best before bed as it digests slower and contains some fat for an alternative slow-burning energy source during sleep) stick to cuts like eye/top round

-Alex

ronaldino

Awards
Thanks everyone! All the help is greatly appreciated. Sorry I haven't been on in a while I have been pretty busy with school :/ fml. Teachers been ripping me a new ******* with all the tests and work. It's been hard to keep on this strict of a diet but I am trying to stick to it as closely as possible also I made changes to it which I will post up a little further down.

@warmachine- I have tried the shake you are talking about and it tastes great but for some reason I just can't take the texture of the oatmeal in my shakes. I hate it. Haha I tried to add it in to my morning shake but to me it just tasted like crap. But other than that I love taking in some of the shakes I make.

@cooky- Thanks for the heads up on the AFTER MAX. Sounds good I will have to give it a try sometime soon! And yes I know I cant really keep up with this strict of a diet with school and everything I have to do during the day such as work and other stuff. I have been trying to eat as much whole food as possible without overdoing it. I dont know why but I have been gaining fat fairly easily lately and it's annoying as hell so I'm trying my best to reach my goals of cutting the fat and then gaining a lot of size. Thanks for the advice!

@fitnessbyalex- Thanks for your advice but I feel like I will have a lot of trouble keeping up with a diet that specific and strict. But I am trying to stick as closely to it as possible.

Edited diet a little bit. Better or Worse than original diet? Not really sure but this will be used more of as a GUIDELINE and not a STRICT DIET as I find it very hard to do so at this age. But anyways I looked everything up on fitday.com and created one sample diet. Again this will be more of a guideline than anything. But either way tell me what you think. And also not sure if I should be eating more calories than this or not

Breakfast: 

2 whole eggs and 2 egg whites
Syntha 6 shake (12oz milk, 1 scoop, 1 tbs of pb, ½ cup of oats)
Multivitamin

Snack
Apple

Lunch: 

2 Turkey sandwiches on whole wheat bread
1 cup broccoli

After School: 

Smoothie (0.5 cup strawberries, banana, 8 oz orange juice, ice)

Dinner: 

8 oz lean meat/ chicken
1 cup of brown rice
1 cup of veggies

Before Bed:
.5 cup of cottage cheese

POST WORKOUT:
2 SCOOPS ON WHEY, KRE ALKALYN, GLUTAMINE, DEXTROSE

Calories about 3071
Fat 90
Carbs 302
Protein 267.8
Macronutrient Ratio 38% carbs, 36% protein, 26% fat

gainsvillian

gainsvillian

Awards
That looks pretty solid. Try and stick to it as closely as possible for 3-4 weeks and see what you think. If it's not working for you, keep tweaking it until you see what works best for you.

WarMachine000

WarMachine000

Awards
  • Established
Each to their own. :)
I don't know if you have time, but if so try to have that morning shake 30 min or so before the bkfast

ronaldino

Awards
Ill be keeping to this diet for the next month or so and see what happens. And I will try to take the shake 30 min before. Just wondering what's the reason in having it 30 minutes before the breakfast though?

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
I dont see the point for the shake. I would just eat breakfast. If you cant get to it for a while, have some whey isolate.

ronaldino

Awards
There are two reasons for the shake in the morning. It's just part of the breakfast and i'm taking it in for like 450 easy calories and about 40g of protein for the morning.