Paleo In A Nutshell Pt. 1 & 2

  1. Last edited by CopyCat; 04-03-2010 at 09:57 PM. Reason: I can not for the life of me figure out why it didn't just post the vid instead of the link
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222


  2. Caveman power! Paleo diet is good stuff.

  3. Paleo is good, but I hated how so many of my friends got weird on me, and didnt seem to understand why I refused to eat anything on wing night...
    •   
       


  4. Can I still eat VitaBerry?

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo15 View Post
    Can I still eat VitaBerry?
    Of course, but why wouldn't you just opt for whole fruits? The paleo diet in itself means lots of fruits and veggies so no need for a fruit supplement.

  6. Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo15 View Post
    Can I still eat VitaBerry?

    My diet is always fluctuating. I personly do not have it in me to follow a strict diet all the time, often for various reasons. However, when I am on point it's usually a hybrid of Paleo and Zone. I also am not of the opinion like many who follow either paleo or zone strictly and say no to supplements... by all means supplement.

    I see no reason why one couldn't supplement with VitaBerry
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222

  7. If we were to live a "Paleo" lifestyle, shouldn't we be walking like 20 miles a day at times since ancient man was nomadic? And wouldn't ancient man east all meat today, and all fruit/vegetables tomorrow due to availability?

    I'll just flat out state my problem here. I think optimal workouts are 30 min, 5-6 times per week; not twice per week. I have never seen a passable athlete that only works out twice per week, and rests for the other days.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by wearedbleedblue View Post
    Of course, but why wouldn't you just opt for whole fruits? The paleo diet in itself means lots of fruits and veggies so no need for a fruit supplement.
    Ya I know, I'm just posting to post.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by drvinnybombat View Post
    If we were to live a "Paleo" lifestyle, shouldn't we be walking like 20 miles a day at times since ancient man was nomadic? And wouldn't ancient man east all meat today, and all fruit/vegetables tomorrow due to availability?

    I'll just flat out state my problem here. I think optimal workouts are 30 min, 5-6 times per week; not twice per week. I have never seen a passable athlete that only works out twice per week, and rests for the other days.
    Who said anything about only working out twice a week.

    Athletes workout much more often than that.

    People who are working out twice a week are just trying not to die.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by drvinnybombat View Post
    If we were to live a "Paleo" lifestyle, shouldn't we be walking like 20 miles a day at times since ancient man was nomadic? And wouldn't ancient man east all meat today, and all fruit/vegetables tomorrow due to availability?

    I'll just flat out state my problem here. I think optimal workouts are 30 min, 5-6 times per week; not twice per week. I have never seen a passable athlete that only works out twice per week, and rests for the other days.

    Lost me on the twice a week workouts man, sorry.

    There are days when I cover 20 miles in a day. Whether it's the marathon I ran or a combination of running plus average ground covered at work, to the 50 km patrol in Afhgan.

    I think your statements as a whole sort of sound narrow minded and extreme. Living a paleo lifestyle in no way indicates one is to give up modern life and go native in the woods and pretend to be from the paleolithic era. As a whole the paleo diet isn't far off from what many on here already try and achieve... a diet that derives most of it's energy from protein, then fats, with the fewest from carbohydrates. It just looks to get them from certain sources.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222

  11. Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    Lost me on the twice a week workouts man, sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo15 View Post
    Who said anything about only working out twice a week.
    The video says to only workout 2-3 times a week. It looks like 3 one week, 2 the next...

    It makes me wonder what the person who made the videos actually looks like.

  12. I'll need to go back and watch them again, don't think I caught that.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222

  13. Ok, I'm assuming you were trying to view the little calendar graphics he had and were using that to come up with 2 days one week and 3 the next. not sure if I would be going off a graphic like that. I think it was placed more to emphasize a point of shorter more intense and varied duration of workouts vs a sustained 6 days a wk. Ideally one would be looking towards something more like the crossfit modal.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222

  14. I've heard elsewhere that you're supposed to train around 10 days a month. I mean, I'm sure there's no unified paleo theory. I'm sure that people can adapt it with no problem. And the diet seems totally fine to me.

    I just find 2 sticking point's that I can't get over.

    Paleos generally seem to train to little to be anything other than average athletes, and there sometimes obsessive diet is NOT what a caveman did. It's an modernized way to eat based on science. Eating at McDonald's every day is "paleo" compared to getting sustenance from freeze dried protein tablets.

  15. Most people that I know who follow paleo do crossfit with a 3 on 1 off schedule. I've seen them kill wod's and hammer out good times in endurance races. Of course, since I only know a handful of people who follow paleo and know them through crossfit I can imagine they are only a fraction of who may be out there. As well, you are right it's a modern paleo people follow. Inevitably everything will be influenced by modern society.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222

  16. ^^ yep. Me too. All of my CrossFit buddies who go paleo for the the diet are very good athletes. However, all serious CrossFitters I know are good athletes, and most don't have a paleo diet at all.

    The whole time I was a CrossFitter, I found that the training style would produce great results. It happened for anyone regardeless of diet(within reason), body type, coordination. CrossFit is the constant, not the diet.

    I just have the sneaking suspicion that paleo living is just some hippie bull****. Whenever the meatheads make fun of CrossFit, the two things I always hear is idiotic diet that's not good for bodybuilding, and that we occasionally puke during a workout. Honestly, I think they have a point in both cases.

  17. No arguments there
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222

  18. Quote Originally Posted by drvinnybombat View Post
    ^^ yep. Me too. All of my CrossFit buddies who go paleo for the the diet are very good athletes. However, all serious CrossFitters I know are good athletes, and most don't have a paleo diet at all.

    The whole time I was a CrossFitter, I found that the training style would produce great results. It happened for anyone regardeless of diet(within reason), body type, coordination. CrossFit is the constant, not the diet.

    I just have the sneaking suspicion that paleo living is just some hippie bull****. Whenever the meatheads make fun of CrossFit, the two things I always hear is idiotic diet that's not good for bodybuilding, and that we occasionally puke during a workout. Honestly, I think they have a point in both cases.
    Most of the Primordial guys train at Crossfit HEL

  19. Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo15 View Post
    Most of the Primordial guys train at Crossfit HEL
    That's Portland?
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222

  20. Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    That's Portland?
    Ya

  21. I coach a guy who does paleo and he does 9-12 olympic lifting sessions a week. Recovery is great and he eats a ton. And eating at McD's is not paleo. Too much sodium, grains, cheese, etc. Paleo for athletes allows protein supplementation. Whey actually has a slightly basic PRAL score and would be very favorable over tons of acid producing meat in moderation.

    The paleo in the video is closer to Mark Sisson's primal blueprint than to paleo for athletes. He advocates short, infrequent high intensity workouts and daily movement including loaded walks and the like.

    What paleo means to me is no grains, no beans/legumes, no dairy. If you need complex carbs, wild rice is acceptable and sweet potatoes are key.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Gaining mass in a nutshell (a big nutshell)
    By suncloud in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 96
    Last Post: 03-01-2013, 04:40 PM
  2. paleo exceptions
    By rhoadx in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-17-2011, 09:04 PM
  3. Blood work in a nutshell and a q
    By RugbyHooligan in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-26-2008, 06:33 PM
  4. Half Life in a Nutshell
    By AnonyMoose in forum Supplements
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-09-2007, 09:31 PM
  5. Neocon vs Paleo
    By okboy63 in forum Politics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-05-2007, 04:39 PM
Log in
Log in