My transition to paleo pic log

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
So, one of my clients is big into the paleo way of eating and swears by it. I like to try new things, see what works, see what doesn't. So, what better way to come together than by doing 30 days of strict paleo eating. My food choices come from the book Paleo Diet for Athletes by Loren Cordain. Basically no grains, no dairy, no sugar, no bean/legumes, no fatty meats aside from fish.

I'm not really trying to gain or lose weight during this time but I already have shed a couple since starting but I attribute it to water/glycogen loses so far. My previous eating was 5 weeks of Lyle McDonald's UD 2.0.

On to the food!

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
3/29

Breakfast: 3 egg omelet with spinach and 6oz sirloin

Lunch: Spinach salad with cucumber and 8oz chicken. Dressing is almond butter mixed with a tiny amount of water and canola oil.

Snack: Almonds, pistachios and walnuts with blackberries and strawberries.

Snack 2: Almonds, walnuts, raisins and blueberries.

Dinner was too delicious that I ate it before I took a picture. It was grass fed aged tri tip roast with carrots and broccoli.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
3/30

Breakfast: Some more of the roast meat in an omelet with spinach and two clementines.

Lunch: Another spinach salad with almond butter/canola dressing, this time with cucumber and steak instead of chicken.

Dinner: 8 oz chicken with seasonings, cucumber, 8oz sweet potato, and carrots. Was a PWO meal.

Snack: 2 oz nitrite/nitrate free ham, 1/4 mini watermelon, almonds, pecans and walnuts.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
3/31

Lunch: 4oz 92/8 grassfed beef patty, 4oz chicken, strawberries, two clementines.

Dinner: 8oz seared sea scallops, asparagus, broccoli.

Snack: Almond, apricot, coconut patties. These are fricken delicious.

Exposure

Exposure

Awards
Should this not be kept in the log thread? Interesting none the less! Good luck with this and keep us posted!

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
See I wasn't sure if it should be but it isn't going to involve training or supplements so I didn't think it belonged in either of those places.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
4/1

Breakfast: Roast meat, carrots, 100g spinach, 30g whey shake made with black coffee.
I'm not a fan of eggs so I got a little sick of them. Decided you can't go wrong with meat but didn't have enough for my protein so had to make up with a whey protein shake. Less net acid anyways.

Snack: Fruits and nuts, like usual. Grapes, blackberries, blueberries, walnuts, pecans, almonds. Was cleaning out the house of empty pizza boxes and I liked the irony of paleo food on top of a pizza box.

Dinner: Had a semi cheat tonight and got a cobb salad without cheese and olives at Friday's. Chicken, lettuce, avocados, tomatoes, bacon, egg and avocado ranch dressing.

My lunch was another spinach/beef/cucumber salad. Haven't had my last snack tonight but it will probably consist of some almond butter with celery.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Been a while but I'm still eating 95% paleo. Had some free time today so heres some highlights from my meals over the last few weeks.

Eggs with turkey, ham, spinach. Blackberries on the side.

Something I started experimenting with: Fritattas. This one has chicken apple sausages in it with 3 eggs. Two clemintines round it out.

Started cooking a roast once a week. 8oz meat served with a side of blackberries and strawberries.

Fritatta again, this time with added spinach. Whey and black coffee shake on the side.

Turkey tenderloin served with fried cauliflower instead of rice. Delicious.

Roast meat, 1/4lb grass fed beef patty, some mango and some strawberries.

My go to fritatta. 3 eggs, spinach, chicken sausage and some Mrs. Dash Onion seasoning. Served with berries and mango.

futbolista

futbolista

Awards
I'm totally jealous of those meals... they look amazing. Paleo says no coffee right? That alone might keep me from trying it.

FilipeBR

FilipeBR

Awards
im not a fan of eggs but those omelets look tasty!! I might try making some like that :D

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
I don't remember reading no coffee, as I do consume coffee. Obviously the sugar and artificial sweeteners is a no no but I believe coffee is good. Check out Marksdailyapple.com for the primal blueprint. He's a little more loose on paleo which to me, works better for active individuals and power athletes.

For the fritatta, all i do is take the meat and spinach I'm using, get the pan warm, put it in and let the two ingredients heat a little while I scramble 3 eggs. I pour the eggs evenly over the top and press the ingredients down into the egg as much as possible. I sprinkle the seasoning on top, cover the pan and turn it up to high for 20 seconds and then down to low for 8-12 minutes or until the top has fully cooked. Shake the pan a little and it slides right out. I too hate eggs and this is the only way I can eat them.

shizz702

shizz702

Awards
Awesome looking meals!

Have you read Mark's book? Finished it a few months ago, it was a good read and he makes a pretty good case against grains in it and really makes you think about the way our ancestors ate vs the current situation.

How is your body composition thus far? I'd imagine you must have really leaned out after eating like this, doesn't take long to see some changes on this kind of diet.

futbolista

futbolista

Awards
Cool site, looks like I have some reading to do tonight. :study

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Awesome looking meals!

Have you read Mark's book? Finished it a few months ago, it was a good read and he makes a pretty good case against grains in it and really makes you think about the way our ancestors ate vs the current situation.

How is your body composition thus far? I'd imagine you must have really leaned out after eating like this, doesn't take long to see some changes on this kind of diet.
I haven't read Mark's book but I'm going to pick it up along with preorder Robb Wolf's book and Mark's cookbook. The hardest part for me is getting bored of the same stuff so a cookbook should help a bunch. For now, I just listen to Robb's podcast. Its a little redundant but good.

I have leaned out. I dropped 15-18lbs since I started this and I've had PLENTY of cheats along the way. I overall feel much better. Less aches and pains, more mobility, more speed, strength is steady from where I was and some lifts are increasing.

I'm happy with the results so far and will continue with this lifestyle for a long time to come. I'll get some pics up more often hopefully.

FilipeBR

FilipeBR

Awards
Personal Update:

I do not eat eggs. I hate the taste, hate the texture, hate the smell even more. I even e-mailed wearred about how I couldn't include eggs in my diet.

After seeing the picture he posted, the chicken sausage omelet, I was thought it looked tasty, so I decided to try it out this morning and let me say... it was FANTASTIC, the sausage was very strong and so that overpowered the eggy taste, I was able to eat 3 eggs this morning :)

Chicken Sausage Omelet :

Cals: 324 Fat:21g Carb:3g Prot: 32g

Thank you for posting those meals!!

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
This diet looks great! I love some eggs, I could have them somehow in almost every meal.. And that roast.. MMMM

Jet

Awards
  • Established
Glad you're doing this log. I've been thinking of switching to Paleo for a while but I haven't been able to think of a very wide variety of meals, so the pictures and descriptions of your diet are pretty helpful.

By the way, are you counting calories? Or following the Paleo ideology that you can eat as much as you want of approved foods?

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Glad you're doing this log. I've been thinking of switching to Paleo for a while but I haven't been able to think of a very wide variety of meals, so the pictures and descriptions of your diet are pretty helpful.

By the way, are you counting calories? Or following the Paleo ideology that you can eat as much as you want of approved foods?
In July Mark from Primal Blueprint is coming out with a new cookbook. Pick it up and you'll have a ton of Paleo recipes, I'm planning on doing the same. As far as calories are concerned, I don't count them. I eat as much as I want but always make sure to get at least 8oz of meat in 3 of the 5 meals I eat a day. And I also shoot for a heavier amount of produce per meal. For instance, if I have 8oz of roast, I try to have 10-16oz of broccoli, asparagus, carrots, cauliflower, etc.

How do you fix almond, apricot, coconut patties?
The recipe can be found here:
http://www.sonofgrok.com/2009/01/recipe-sog-primal-peach-patties/

The only thing I would suggest is cooking them for a shorter amount of time. 15-18 min usually works for me. I have to be careful making them too often or I end up eating entire batches in a day. Also, if you have coconut oil instead of the olive oil that it calls for, it has a much richer coconut flavor. Otherwise, the fruit tends to overpower the coconut in my opinion.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
subbed man.. this looks like an awesome thread. I just started reading paleo diet by cordain and am thinking of making the switch. Are you not doing any whey, potatoes or green beans? These are the only exception I might make for the diet and I am on the fence with quiona and/or basmati. I want to look up both of those a little more. I know there are many variations to this diet. Big ups to you for making the switch.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
I do whey. It doesn't have a negative impact on acid load and I'm not lactose intolerant. I rotate green beans in and out of my eating. Sometimes if the beans look good at the farmers market I buy them, if not, I go without. I also do pea pods on occasion but neither are a staple in my diet. I generally eat broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers, carrots, and spinach. Sometimes I'll cook with some peppers.

I used to eat quinoa and rice. I only eat rice during a cheat meat now, not on a day to day basis. Both are grains and both have a negative impact on acid load so I avoid them.

I haven't updated in a while but I have a few more go to meals that I've rotated in lately. One is a mongolian beef recipe that is like PF Changs. The beef is sliced thin and it turns out crispy. I have this with broccoli or green beens. My other favorite meal at the moment is meatballs. I make these with beef and onions mixed together. Going to try adding an egg this time and see how it comes out. I'll take a pic of each of these meals this week.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
how do you make your dressing? I paged thorugh marks cookbook in barnes and noble one day and wasnt too impressed. Alot of the recipes seems too complicted, well not complicated but required alot of prep work and steps and I only like recipes like that for dinner. I really like what you have so far.. alot of those look easy and quick to just throw together. excited to hear this pf changs recipe!!! I am out of beef now and wont have more till my share of a cow comes in, hopefully it will be soon. So for now I am mostly eating eggs and chicken. I just stopped grains completely and hopefully I wont get the carb flue like I did when I went keto. Keep it up man, if you dont mind I can hijack your thread a bit and post some recipes with pics of paleo food I eat. Maybe start a paleo cookbook thread of just good food ideas for everyone interested..

coldseed

coldseed

Awards
Great log! Those pics have got me so damn hungry! Killer!

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
OMG I got so hungry seeing this log lol.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
how do you make your dressing? I paged thorugh marks cookbook in barnes and noble one day and wasnt too impressed. Alot of the recipes seems too complicted, well not complicated but required alot of prep work and steps and I only like recipes like that for dinner. I really like what you have so far.. alot of those look easy and quick to just throw together. excited to hear this pf changs recipe!!! I am out of beef now and wont have more till my share of a cow comes in, hopefully it will be soon. So for now I am mostly eating eggs and chicken. I just stopped grains completely and hopefully I wont get the carb flue like I did when I went keto. Keep it up man, if you dont mind I can hijack your thread a bit and post some recipes with pics of paleo food I eat. Maybe start a paleo cookbook thread of just good food ideas for everyone interested..
Dressing for what? I agree, Mark's cookbook sucks, I have it. I've made one thing in it and it wasn't very good. I don't mind if you post pics of paleo stuff in here, the more the merrier.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
almond butter/canola dressing

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Oh, i'd take 1 tbsp of almond butter and stir in 1 tsp of oil and sometimes a little water. Just play with different amounts of each and see what gets the consistency you are looking for.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Couple meals I've had lately:

Banana Pancakes, served it with 3 pieces of thick bacon and 3 eggs. Sometimes I put fresh whipped cream on them:

10oz burger, 1/2 avocado, broccoli

10oz burger, 1/2 avocado, broccoli

Post workout meal today. Broccoli, 1 sweet potato mixed with 1/2 avocado and garlic powder, 8oz cooked pork tenderloin:

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are those pancakes paleo friendly? I would love that recipe if you got it..

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
2 bananas, 1 egg, 1tbsp almond meal. I add in a tsp of vanilla but it isn't necessary.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
2 bananas, 1 egg, 1tbsp almond meal. I add in a tsp of vanilla but it isn't necessary.
I tried to make these this morning. Had a hard time trying to keep everything together. It all kind of broke apart and came out looking more like scrambled eggs lol.. None the less it was pretty tasty reps to you bud

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Yeah the first time was tricky. Let them cook a little more on one side next time. I experimented with adding a scoop of protein to them and a little extra water and it worked out well too. They're a good base for pancakes but I'm going to keep playing with the recipe, maybe add in some chopped pecans or something next.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
They were great either way. I will try again sometime in the future and let you know how they come out.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sun-Dried Tomato Salmon

Ingredients
• 4 Salmon Filets (6oz each), cooked
• 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
• 1/4 cup Sun Dried Tomatoes
• 1 teaspoon Dried Parsley
• 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
• Salt and Pepper

Directions
1. Cook salmon separately (In the oven, wrapped in aluminum foil, at 350 degrees
F for 30 minutes)
2. In a food processor or blender, combine the sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, salt,
and pepper. Pulse until a smooth paste forms.
3. Unwrap the salmon once cooked. Top with the sundried-
tomato mixture and serve.

Nutritional Facts
• Calories: 301
• Protein: 34g
• Carbohydrates: 3g
• Fat: 17g

I added a side of spinach to my meal. It was a great twist on fish. I usually cook my fish with old bay, lemon juice, butter, and garlic so it was nice to have something different

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
I can't do fish, hate the taste. Only raw, sushi grade fish for me. I cook it all the time for the gf though.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
So a couple more meals I've had over the past few weeks here:

Grain free meatballs with homemade marinara sauce:

Finished product:

Turkey BLT with bacon-mayo:

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Big breakfast

Grain free paleo sandwich:

PF Chang's Style Mongolian Beef made with coconut flour:

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Hamburger with spicy jalapeno mustard, sweet potato mixed with avocado, and some veggies:

Thai deep fried beef jerky:

Homemade creamy tomato soup with coconut milk. Added some cut up brats:

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Yellow watermelon with almonds:

Pressure cooked beef and cauliflower with a bit of honey mustard:

My spoils from the farmer's market and costco - tomatoes for the soup, last berries of the season, green beans, broccoli, red pepper, my cooking oil of choice - clarified butter, honey chipotle pork jerky (so freakin good), sampler pack of macadamias (love these):

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Man looking at all that got my mouth watering lol. Good stuff man it looks good. Good food makes dieting so much easier.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Good food makes dieting so much easier.
Too bad most people don't get that you can diet and have flavor in your food. Recipes + spices make food awesome but most people are too lazy or lack creativity to make their food what it could be.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
Too bad most people don't get that you can diet and have flavor in your food. Recipes + spices make food awesome but most people are too lazy or lack creativity to make their food what it could be.
Amen! I don't necessarily LIKE to cook, but I'm good at it and I do it because I like to enjoy my food lol... And once in a while I come home and my girl is making one of my recipes and I just get to relax and eat lol. :D

spimp187

Awards
Really enjoying reading (looking at) this thread. Reps. for sure - keep it up.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
I will be making paleo/primal pizza tonight. It will have a crust made from eggplant and almond flour. Pics to follow

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Pizza as promised:

Final Product:

And, my fish oil of choice, Carlson's:

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
New dinner meal tonight