Weight loss muscle gain diet?

edbanda101

Awards
I'm starting a diet that matches one i found online posted by Craig Ballantyne from turbulancetraining.com. I'm 19 years old 5' 7" 170lbs, I have some extra bulk on me but i also have a pretty solid muscle base. I've been working out regularly for the last six months or so but not eating completely right. I'm trying to cut fat and gain muscle however and i found this diet. My question pretty much is if it has the right stuff to AT LEAST keep my muscle mass but allow me to burn fat.

Meal 1: 3 omega 3 eggs.
1 oz cheddar cheese.
1 cup steamed broccoli
half a bell pepper
2400 mg fish oil
1 cup green tea.

meal 2:
half cup of pecans
mango or bananna
1 apple
cup green tea.

meal 3:
1 chicken breast (Tyson comes in a bag of like 6)
2 cups mixed green salad
1 cup steamed broccoli
1 cup bell pepper
350 mg green tea extract

meal 4 (post workout):
protein shake 2 scoops 18 g protein each, about 210 calories(precision engineered from vitamin world)

meal 5:
2 oz almonds
1 apple
350 mg green tea extract

meal 6:
half an avocado
1 cup asparagus
1 cup mixed green salad with a tbsp or two of cottage cheese
half cup strawberries
2400mg fish oil

I wake up at around 8 and either do HIIT in the morning or just a slow uphill walk for about 40 mins. Monday Wednesday and Friday i workout for about an hour at noon and sometimes another hour in the evening. Am i eating too little carbs? Any thoughts would help a lot thanks.

Rowdyhurst77

Awards
I think u have plenty carbs n fat i think instead of pecans for meal two try protein shake a lowcal high protein (ON/Elite dymatize w.e u have)

edbanda101

Awards
well the kind of protein i have is Precision Engineered from Vitamin World. Just drink that instead of pecans?

Exposure

Exposure

Awards
It is damn near impossible to increase muscle mass while burning fat. If I am missing something, someone fill me in!

Rowdyhurst77

Awards
your protein is almost aweight gainer

fitnessbyalex

fitnessbyalex

Awards
I'm starting a diet that matches one i found online posted by Craig Ballantyne from turbulancetraining.com. I'm 19 years old 5' 7" 170lbs, I have some extra bulk on me but i also have a pretty solid muscle base. I've been working out regularly for the last six months or so but not eating completely right. I'm trying to cut fat and gain muscle however and i found this diet. My question pretty much is if it has the right stuff to AT LEAST keep my muscle mass but allow me to burn fat.

1 oz cheddar cheese.
1 cup steamed broccoli
half a bell pepper
2400 mg fish oil
1 cup green tea.

meal 2:
half cup of pecans
mango or bananna
1 apple
cup green tea.

meal 3:
2 cups mixed green salad
1 cup steamed broccoli
1 cup bell pepper
350 mg green tea extract

meal 4 (post workout):
protein shake 2 scoops 18 g protein each, about 210 calories(precision engineered from vitamin world)

meal 5:
2 oz almonds
1 apple
350 mg green tea extract

meal 6:
half an avocado
1 cup asparagus
half cup strawberries
2400mg fish oil

I wake up at around 8 and either do HIIT in the morning or just a slow uphill walk for about 40 mins. Monday Wednesday and Friday i workout for about an hour at noon and sometimes another hour in the evening. Am i eating too little carbs? Any thoughts would help a lot thanks.
Given your goal, I think you're macro's need to be prioritized differently. What worked for someone else will 90% of the time NOT work for you exactly as planned. As stated by another poster, your protein intake should be higher to start, and your fat and carb intakes should be lower. Feel free to PM me and I can help you structure things a bit.

-Alex

edbanda101

Awards
Given your goal, I think you're macro's need to be prioritized differently. What worked for someone else will 90% of the time NOT work for you exactly as planned. As stated by another poster, your protein intake should be higher to start, and your fat and carb intakes should be lower. Feel free to PM me and I can help you structure things a bit.

-Alex
ok thanks i sent a pm your way

edbanda101

Awards

1 oz cheddar cheese.
1 cup steamed broccoli
half a bell pepper
2400 mg fish oil
1 cup green tea.

meal 2:
half cup of pecans
mango or bananna
1 apple
cup green tea.

meal 3:
2 cups mixed green salad
1 cup steamed broccoli
1 cup bell pepper
350 mg green tea extract

meal 4 (post workout):

meal 5:
2 oz almonds
1 apple
350 mg green tea extract

meal 6:
half an avocado
1 cup asparagus
half cup strawberries
2400mg fish oil

ok so i've done a little changing of my diet to include more carbs/protein and less fat.

so the new one goes like this:

Meal 1:
3 omega 3 eggs.
1 oz cheddar cheese.
1 cup steamed broccoli.
half a raw bell pepper.
1 slice of 100% whole wheat bread.
2 1200 mg fish oil pills.
green tea.

Meal 2:
2 scoops precision engineered whey protein in 16 oz water.
either a banana or a mango.
1 apple.
more green tea.

Meal 3:
1 chicken breast.
2 cups mixed green salad.
half a raw bell pepper.
1 cup steamed broccoli.
3/4 cup cooked brown rice.

Meal 4:
2 scoops whey in 16 oz water.

Meal 5:
1 oz almonds
1 apple
1 cup green tea

Meal 6:
same as before.

Using the diet tracker on here i've come up with these values.

2117 calories, 206 grams protein, 186 g carbs, 61 grams of fat.

That breaks down into about 26% fat, 39% protein, and 35% from carbs.

I'm unsure if that's a good breakdown or not.

also unsure if i'm consuming enough calories.

I'm really trying to make this work for me so any help is appreciated.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
out of all the years i've been trying this and that, taking this or that....blah, blah, blah....i will tell you some advise.

pick a diet. doesn't really matter which one, try it for 30 days and follow it to a "T" at the end of 30 days make an honest self appraisal and either keep doing it if it's working for you or change it if it's not. how are we supposed to know how you're body will react to a specific macro breakdown? one thing thsat should be consistant is protein, 1gr per lb of lean body mass, slightly above will not kill you but 2gr would be too much.

edbanda101

Awards
out of all the years i've been trying this and that, taking this or that....blah, blah, blah....i will tell you some advise.

pick a diet. doesn't really matter which one, try it for 30 days and follow it to a "T" at the end of 30 days make an honest self appraisal and either keep doing it if it's working for you or change it if it's not. how are we supposed to know how you're body will react to a specific macro breakdown? one thing thsat should be consistant is protein, 1gr per lb of lean body mass, slightly above will not kill you but 2gr would be too much.
ok thanks i get that i'm just seeing if anything stands out that should be changed at all. I'm on my second week of it so i guess i'll just wait and see how it progresses.

Rowdyhurst77

Awards
if u read it says 210 cals... How is your diet going man?

edbanda101

Awards
if u read it says 210 cals... How is your diet going man?
It's going fairly well. I'm at 162 right now, i have noticed some slimming down especially around waist. Last week i was sick for a couple days though so I slacked on the cardio for a few days. The diet hasn't been too hard to stick too, except for i find it hard to fit 6 meals into my diet without eating the last one at like 10pm. Especially if i wake up past 10 it becomes super hard to eat all that food. I have also started a more structured workout plan doing certain parts of the body on different days and having three or four main days where i focus on upper body, and the others focus on lower body and abs. Before i was just working out pretty much any part of my body that wasn't sore. I also bought some superpump 250 and have been taking that for about 3 or four days. I haven't noticed any intense concentration or muscle pumps as lots of people have said they have. I haven't really noticed anything with it to be honest, except for i couldn't sleep one night because i took it at like 9pm. I don't know if i'm doing it wrong or what, or if it's still working just under the surface. If anyone has any experience with it i would be interested in hearing about it.

dre alvarez

Awards
  • Established
Personally, I'll give cycling keto diet a shot or targeting keto diet (which I'm on). CKD Is basically consuming 10 cals per lbs, 1-1.5 of protein per lbs, minimizing your carb intake to 30-50g, but majority of your cals coming from fats. Then you carb load 1-2 days per wk, this will allow you to spike your insulins levels back up and refill glycogen back into the muscles..make sure you keep your fat intake to a minimal during this phase, you never want to mix fat and carbs together, wait about 60-90 mintues before consuming fats again. TKD is the same but you consume carbs (pre/post workouts) to provide energy..try it out

gainsvillian

gainsvillian

Awards
ok so i've done a little changing of my diet to include more carbs/protein and less fat.

so the new one goes like this:

Meal 1:
3 omega 3 eggs.
1 oz cheddar cheese.
1 cup steamed broccoli.
half a raw bell pepper.
1 slice of 100% whole wheat bread.
2 1200 mg fish oil pills.
green tea.

Meal 2:
2 scoops precision engineered whey protein in 16 oz water.
either a banana or a mango.
1 apple.
more green tea.

Meal 3:
1 chicken breast.
2 cups mixed green salad.
half a raw bell pepper.
1 cup steamed broccoli.
3/4 cup cooked brown rice.

Meal 4:
2 scoops whey in 16 oz water.

Meal 5:
1 oz almonds
1 apple
1 cup green tea

Meal 6:
same as before.

Using the diet tracker on here i've come up with these values.

2117 calories, 206 grams protein, 186 g carbs, 61 grams of fat.

That breaks down into about 26% fat, 39% protein, and 35% from carbs.

I'm unsure if that's a good breakdown or not.

also unsure if i'm consuming enough calories.

I'm really trying to make this work for me so any help is appreciated.
Yeah, fruits have a lot of nutritional value, but they also have a lot of sugars in them. I think bang for your buck, you can switch those out and be better off. I would add in some egg whites to your eggs in the morning. Maybe go 2 eggs and 2-4 egg whites. Cut out the cheese. Are you really eating broccoli for breakfast? Awesome if you are, but save it for later if you're struggling to get it down with your eggs. Fish oil is great. Try to be between 1500-2000 g of EFAs for the day and spread it out evenly.

If you switch out some of that fruit, add some oats in there for a carb source. I like to do 1/2 cup oats w/ 1 scoop whey and 1 tbsp of natural PB. You definitely should throw some Natty pb into your diet regardless. Maybe sub that in there for meal 2 and 4 so you have whole foods in you rather than just a shake.

Meal 3 looks good, but looks like a ton of food to be eating at once. It looks like after meal 3, your only source of protien is shakes, right? Meal 5 should have some chicken, fish, or other lean protien in there, especially if it's the meal after your workout.

Your pre-bed meal should involve casein protien. Fat Free cottage cheese is your best source of that. I would just eat 1 cup FF cottage cheese and call it a night - 120kcals, 30g protien! I would move the avocado to an earlier meal.

As far as Macros breakdown, I try and be around 50-30-20 (protien-carbs-fats) and make sure you're at around 1.5x per pound for protien. ie: if you weight 170, try and get at least 250g protien.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
Bro, I would have stuck with the keto diet. Put the carbs down, completely for about two months, and watch the fat burn. Eat 4 eggs and turkey bacon for meal 1.
Protein shake, whey isolate with 1tbsp macadamia nut oil. Meal 3 chicken salad with greens, and vinagrette dressing. (6oz chicken) Then another shake like before, and 6 oz sirloin steak for dinner with broccoli, and another shake before bed. Eat raw almonds in between meals if you get hungry. Lots of water too. Your blood sugar will stay stable. You will have energy. Cheat one meal weekly. Go all out. Have fun

edbanda101

Awards
Yeah, fruits have a lot of nutritional value, but they also have a lot of sugars in them. I think bang for your buck, you can switch those out and be better off. I would add in some egg whites to your eggs in the morning. Maybe go 2 eggs and 2-4 egg whites. Cut out the cheese. Are you really eating broccoli for breakfast? Awesome if you are, but save it for later if you're struggling to get it down with your eggs. Fish oil is great. Try to be between 1500-2000 g of EFAs for the day and spread it out evenly.

If you switch out some of that fruit, add some oats in there for a carb source. I like to do 1/2 cup oats w/ 1 scoop whey and 1 tbsp of natural PB. You definitely should throw some Natty pb into your diet regardless. Maybe sub that in there for meal 2 and 4 so you have whole foods in you rather than just a shake.

Meal 3 looks good, but looks like a ton of food to be eating at once. It looks like after meal 3, your only source of protien is shakes, right? Meal 5 should have some chicken, fish, or other lean protien in there, especially if it's the meal after your workout.

Your pre-bed meal should involve casein protien. Fat Free cottage cheese is your best source of that. I would just eat 1 cup FF cottage cheese and call it a night - 120kcals, 30g protien! I would move the avocado to an earlier meal.

As far as Macros breakdown, I try and be around 50-30-20 (protien-carbs-fats) and make sure you're at around 1.5x per pound for protien. ie: if you weight 170, try and get at least 250g protien.
I think fruits are what help me get through some of the meals so i'm not sure about switching them out.
I might actually try 2 eggs and egg whites, except for it starts getting pretty expensive going through half dozen eggs a day. Do you know if the egg whites that come in the carton are any good? Would cutting out the cheese really have that much of an impact? I mean i just bought a whole new block of cheese and i would hate to see it go to waste.

I already eat some natural peanut butter sometimes and that shake sounds pretty good. What kind of oats is it? like oatmeal oats?

And as far as protein goes after meal 3 i have a steak and i do have about two tbsp of cottage cheese in my last meal.

Meal 5 and 6 are usually scrunched together. Is it bad do you think to be eating stake and avocado at 9 or 10 pm? Thats just usually how it works out sometimes when i'm trying to fit all that food in me and i have a busy day.

gainsvillian

gainsvillian

Awards
If you need the fruits to stay on track, then by all means keep the fruits. You're not doing anything wrong by eating them. Definitely use the liquid egg whites - Walmart has 32 oz. carton for around $2.89 which I think is about 16 egg whites, so a good value. Cheese has some good nutritional value, so you don't need to go cold turkey and just throw it out. Use what you have, but think twice before buying it again. If you really need the cheese, try out the fat free type and see what you think.

Use the quick cooking 1 minute oats. Definitely not instant oatmeal though b/c it's packed with sugar. A lot of people dont like oats b/c of the flavor or lack of, but when you mix it with protien powder and pb, it tastes awesome. I feel like I'm cheating everyday when I eat it.

Up your cottage cheese intake to at least 1/2 cup before bed. If you're eating your last two meals together, wait at least 30 minutes to an hour to eat the cottage cheese after eating any other protiens (like steak). There's really no value in eating the avocado so late at night. It's a good fat and there's no problem keeping it in the diet, but I wouldn't eat it so late in your day. I would switch it with your broccoli in the morning so you're eating the avocado meal 1 and the broccoli meal 5 or 6.

edbanda101

Awards
If you need the fruits to stay on track, then by all means keep the fruits. You're not doing anything wrong by eating them. Definitely use the liquid egg whites - Walmart has 32 oz. carton for around $2.89 which I think is about 16 egg whites, so a good value. Cheese has some good nutritional value, so you don't need to go cold turkey and just throw it out. Use what you have, but think twice before buying it again. If you really need the cheese, try out the fat free type and see what you think.

Use the quick cooking 1 minute oats. Definitely not instant oatmeal though b/c it's packed with sugar. A lot of people dont like oats b/c of the flavor or lack of, but when you mix it with protien powder and pb, it tastes awesome. I feel like I'm cheating everyday when I eat it.

Up your cottage cheese intake to at least 1/2 cup before bed. If you're eating your last two meals together, wait at least 30 minutes to an hour to eat the cottage cheese after eating any other protiens (like steak). There's really no value in eating the avocado so late at night. It's a good fat and there's no problem keeping it in the diet, but I wouldn't eat it so late in your day. I would switch it with your broccoli in the morning so you're eating the avocado meal 1 and the broccoli meal 5 or 6.
Ya i probably will cut it off once i get rid of this block. And i'm gonna buy a carton of egg whites and probably do 2 whole omega 3 eggs and a quarter cup of egg whites or something.

For the oats I have some quaker instant but they are just plain kind, no flavor, and i don't think any sugar added. Might make one of those protein, oat, pb smoothies after work out today. you said only one tbsp of pb right?

The rest of your advice is great, think i'll switch the avacado either to meal 1 or 3 and start eating more cottage cheese before bed. Thanks for all the advice, every week i have tweaked just a little something and i'm really liking how its all turning out. I feel healthier than i ever have and the fat is slowly but surely burning away. I kind of slack on my cardio sometimes so i really need to get on top of that to really start losing fat i guess.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
Find a way for cardio to be fun. I mixed it in in different ways. I rode a bike to the gym, and back, or on small errands. It looks like the diet is working itself out. Now, just nail your training, and learn how your body responds to different methods. Listen to your body. It will grow. Get a deep tissue massage whenever you can afford it. It really helps keep you healthy, and prevent injury.