"Health Food"

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  184 lbs.
    Answers

"Health Food"

I actually find this term to be kind of amusing, don't some of you? Think about it. By labeling something "Health food", you're putting it in a special category, as if it's special or uncommon or unique, or different from "regular food". Well, what is the complement of "Health food"? Unhealth food?
    The whole purpose of food for living organisms is to provide sustenance and nutrition, in order to maintain survival. But, in this age, things have gotten so bad that the vast majority of people don't see it that way, and the term "health food" is proof of that. Food has become not a necessity of life, but rather a recreational activity. The exponentially-increasing number of obesity-ridden folks and lipitor prescriptions, the rising healthcare costs in America, it's all becoming "the norm", and it is truly, truly sad.
    They see us, and the dwindling number of slim, fit, and muscular people as "healthnuts" and we shop at "health food stores", as if it's a plaque, or an epidemic, or a fad.

Sorry to rant, but it's just amazing to think about. Next time someone wants you to make a run to Vons, tell them you don't shop at "Unhealth food stores", just to see what kind of a reaction you get.

2. Primordial Performance Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Answers

Some pretty real points in that.
    Just inject.
    Facebook:
    www.facebook.com/heretostudy
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Answers

I understand where you're coming from. I used to manage "health food stores". Most people have no concept of eating not only for pleasure,but for fuel and nourishment.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Answers

Definitely. In my family I'm known as the "heath nut" just for eating based on necessity and not for enjoyment. They just don't understand that food doesn't have to taste good, its just fuel.
  5. Board Supporter
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by CJSalcedo View Post
    Definitely. In my family I'm known as the "heath nut" just for eating based on necessity and not for enjoyment. They just don't understand that food doesn't have to taste good, its just fuel.
    Apparently the companies that spend billions on telling people the opposite are winning the battle...
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrox View Post
    Apparently the companies that spend billions on telling people the opposite are winning the battle...
    That's cause it tastes sooooo good.

http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/

It's a mug made out of bacon, filled with cheddar cheese...
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  7. Board Supporter
    Answers

Jeez mother of gawd. My heart stumbled when I saw that.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentBob187 View Post
    That's cause it tastes sooooo good.

http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/

It's a mug made out of bacon, filled with cheddar cheese...
  8. Primordial Performance Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Answers

Oh I absolutely love that site. I regularly will check it when I want to remind myself what the opposition to health is like.
    Just inject.
    Facebook:
    www.facebook.com/heretostudy
  9. Registered User
    Answers

Agree totally. Run in to the situation all the time.

I hate people looking at me like I'm rude for refusing to accept an offer for food(usually fund raiser stuff, donuts, fish fry, candy). Then they must insist, and I have to tell them I don't want it because it is junk food, leaving them offended because they are chowing down on it. Or they are just so ignorant to the consequences of eating said food, that they view me as some "obsessed nut."

Now whenever someone comes by selling candy or donuts for fund raising I just say I'm diabetic.

rant off lol
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Answers

heres something too

look at the lables of foods that say "light" youll find that it will contain more sodium than the regular version. check it out. check out light yogurt or mayo, and compare it to the regulars you might be surprised.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'2"  118 lbs.
    Answers

I am one of those people who tend to eat for pleasure sometimes. But then I guess what's important is you don't do it every day. Just on special occasions? That's what I do.

As for health food, you have a point. Why label food as "health food" when food is supposed to do just that.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. "Food Safety Accountability Act" reply
    By muscl3s in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-27-2010, 11:30 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-14-2008, 01:34 AM
  3. UNC's "I love my body" RPN Gut Health/NoXidant Stack
    By UNCfan1 in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 09-12-2008, 07:52 AM