Recomp diet and macros?

ballinfrogs

Awards
I have never recomp'd before but I am going to attempt to. I usually just cut or bulk. Anyways what are the recommend calories for a recomp? Maintenance? Also I am guessing a 40/40/20 diet would work best? I am thinking that or a tkd keto diet...

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
I think you have to be slightly over maintenance calories (200-400) and you have to maintain this for a while as recomping doesn't happen overnight

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Here's my formula for a recomp:
M-F afternoon: eat carbs at only 2 meals - breakfast and post-training. Try to have between 70-100g on these days. For the other meals, make sure to have 10-20g fat, 40-60g protein, and a serving or 2 of veggies

F night: refeed (this is a clean refeed)

Saturday: eat the same as the week except have 1-2 cheat meals in the evening

Sunday: cheat breakfast, but all other meals clean; eat only meat and veggies from this point.

You can manipulate this to your split as the main thing to do is to eat clean for all but about 4-5 meals.

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
M-F afternoon: eat carbs at only 2 meals - breakfast and post-training. Try to have between 70-100g on these days. For the other meals, make sure to have 10-20g fat, 40-60g protein, and a serving or 2 of veggies

Sunday: cheat breakfast, but all other meals clean; eat only meat and veggies from this point.

You can manipulate this to your split as the main thing to do is to eat clean for all but about 4-5 meals.
hmm might have to try this out.....you need a disclaimer on this...*for dedicated individuals only*

fitnessbyalex

fitnessbyalex

Awards

These are solid recommendations! Nutrient timing more-so than calorie/macro totals will help you re-comp effectively without dramatically reducing calories. I am not a fan of the cheat meals, more than maybe once per week however.

I will usually take a maintenance diet and cut calories by 250 coming from carbs. I will then take the remaining balance of carbs and structure them in meal 1, pre workout and post workout. On off days I will cut calories by another 250 from carbs and structure carbs with only the first 3 of the total 5-6 meals. Add a little cardio in the mix and this is a general guideline that will help improve body composition a bit.

-Alex