Carb Timing

  1. New Member
    upTown's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  207 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    26
    Rep Power
    69
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    0.73%

    Carb Timing


    What is ample amount of carbs to take in post/work out? i take about 60 grams pre, sometimes food or powder form in my shake, but will not consume any past about 6:30pm. but summer is coming up and i get so many mix reviews about carbs. any advice?

  2. New Member
    fitnessbyalex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    114
    Rep Power
    113
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    28.84%

    Quote Originally Posted by upTown View Post
    What is ample amount of carbs to take in post/work out? i take about 60 grams pre, sometimes food or powder form in my shake, but will not consume any past about 6:30pm. but summer is coming up and i get so many mix reviews about carbs. any advice?
    breakfast, pre and post workout carbs should amount to about 75% of your daily carb intake. Try this and you will likely be happy with the results. (so long as your calories and macro's are conducive to your goal in the first place).
  3. AX Product Specialist
    Bnatural's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,264
    Rep Power
    576686
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    87.24%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    At 207, I'd aim for around 400g of carbs/day. The above poster listed the carb % quite well, I usually aim for 25-30% of my carbs post-workout, 20% pre-workout, and 25-30% with breakfast.
    Athletic Xtreme Marketing Manager
    Athletic Xtreme at The Planet!
    Email Inquiries: Brandon@AthleticX.net
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    fitnessbyalex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    114
    Rep Power
    113
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    28.84%

    Quote Originally Posted by Bnatural View Post
    At 207, I'd aim for around 400g of carbs/day. The above poster listed the carb % quite well, I usually aim for 25-30% of my carbs post-workout, 20% pre-workout, and 25-30% with breakfast.
    400 is about right for someone with a faster metabolism. this is about 2g/lb lbm (assuming he is a lean 207). depending on his metabolism and actual LBM, something like 300g carbs may be more appropriate especially given his goal to positively manipulate body composition.

    -Alex
  5. AX Product Specialist
    Bnatural's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,264
    Rep Power
    576686
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    87.24%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    all depends on insulin sensitivity, I'm not a giant advocate of carbs, but I have a faster metabolism, and to keep my calories high enough I generally have a decent amount of carbs.
    Athletic Xtreme Marketing Manager
    Athletic Xtreme at The Planet!
    Email Inquiries: Brandon@AthleticX.net
  6. New Member
    fitnessbyalex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    114
    Rep Power
    113
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    28.84%

    Quote Originally Posted by Bnatural View Post
    all depends on insulin sensitivity, I'm not a giant advocate of carbs, but I have a faster metabolism, and to keep my calories high enough I generally have a decent amount of carbs.
    Yes, it is very hard to give cut and dry suggestions. So many variables involved. I've never regretted hiring the advice of very experienced bodybuilding/nutrition coaches early on in my career. Definitely one of the most worthwhile investments - That and my own research/experience of course etc.

    -Alex
  7. AX Product Specialist
    Bnatural's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,264
    Rep Power
    576686
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    87.24%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I have not picked up a nutritionist as I can't justify the costs especially with the other costs I have regularly, but I definitely see its worth. In michigan its a bit different as you need to be licensed. I should have pursued being a dietician when the time was right, but am still happy with my decision of Exercise Science.
    Athletic Xtreme Marketing Manager
    Athletic Xtreme at The Planet!
    Email Inquiries: Brandon@AthleticX.net
  8. New Member
    fitnessbyalex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    114
    Rep Power
    113
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    28.84%

    Quote Originally Posted by Bnatural View Post
    I have not picked up a nutritionist as I can't justify the costs especially with the other costs I have regularly, but I definitely see its worth. In michigan its a bit different as you need to be licensed. I should have pursued being a dietician when the time was right, but am still happy with my decision of Exercise Science.
    I think that you are in a good position. The credentials help, but in the end its about finding your niche (passion) and becoming an expert in that field. As long as you enjoy it, it's not work right? lol.

    -Alex
  9. New Member
    Exposure's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    84
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    96.73%

    The timing would all depend on when you train, and what you are trying to accomplish. If you are working out in the evening, I would take in 40-60g post workout, and cease carb intake at that point. Taper your fat intake up after your post workout shake. Would be beneficial on a cut or recomp.
  10. New Member
    fitnessbyalex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    114
    Rep Power
    113
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    28.84%

    Quote Originally Posted by Exposure View Post
    The timing would all depend on when you train, and what you are trying to accomplish. If you are working out in the evening, I would take in 40-60g post workout, and cease carb intake at that point. Taper your fat intake up after your post workout shake. Would be beneficial on a cut or recomp.
    True. I often train in the evening. Sometimes my post workout meal is meal 5 of 6. it is often up to 75g carbs.

    -Alex
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. carb timing while cutting
    By insanity1 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-14-2009, 01:32 PM
  2. Carb Timing
    By system60 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-24-2009, 12:45 PM
  3. carb and fat timing
    By insanity1 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-18-2009, 05:41 PM
  4. Carb timing
    By timmay8989 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-21-2007, 02:45 PM
  5. Carb Timing
    By Eunisx in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-17-2006, 04:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in