acid reflux

WarMachine000

WarMachine000

Awards
  • Established
There are a lot of ways to deal with acid reflux issues and heartburn -- from Tums or Rolaids to Prilosec and Prevacid. What type do you think is the best for bodybuilding? Why?

fitnessbyalex

fitnessbyalex

Awards
There are a lot of ways to deal with acid reflux issues and heartburn -- from Tums or Rolaids to Prilosec and Prevacid. What type do you think is the best for bodybuilding? Why?
DIET! using a supplement or medication to balance an pH problem in your body is not a long term solution, if even considered a solution at all.

MOST people's body's are very acidic from western diets. Bodybuilders diets are especially acid in general from the large amounts of protein, acid forming carb choices and limited alkaline fruit/veggie intake. Also, the type of water you drink is essential for helping to regulate acidity. I, unlike many coaches/consultants focus on pH balance, inflammatory balance and digestion with my clients and the results speak for themselves. You want to choose foods that lead to a balance of acid and alkaline for the day. Choose distilled water or de-ionized water over spring water or reverse osmosis water (both very acidic, spring water -depending on the source).

eat your green leafy vegetables as they are very alkaline. Spinach is my favorite for this. Sweet potatoes instead of brown rice or oats is much better for managing pH. Simply choosing any potato over a grain will help with acid/alkaline balance. These vegetables/tubers (potatoes) contain alkaline minerals like calcium and magnesium that grains lack. Grains force your body to recruit its own minerals (from bone for instance) to try and re-generate an pH balanced environment. This over time can lead to many negative effects!

-Alex

WarMachine000

WarMachine000

Awards
  • Established
The reason I ask is because I had an umbilical hernia repaired a few years ago, and have had GERDs ever since. I don't want to shut down acid production, and don't want an excessive amount of calcium (due to threat of kidney stones and other reasons ). My diet is pretty good imo- with no sodas or fast food, fiber is in check, and I eat the right types of foods at the right times.
Thanks for the advice- maybe I should've given more background before.

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
Cissus is supposed to have proven to help with Acid reflux as well as ulcers.

techlogik

Awards
I've been taking prilosec for nearly 20yrs on/off. Somehow I have not died like people want you to believe. In fact, if I don't take it, I have a better chance of getting cancer or erosion of the esophogus and stomach.

I take half a prilosec tablet now daily, still have plenty of acid, plus I take digesting enzyme blend from Now to help with digestion.

If you can control your reflux from diet, well that is great and all, but some people can eat all the "so-called" right foods, and it won't matter, some people just produce more acid, not sure why people don't get that and just assume gastroenterologist and big pharma are all in cahoots to steal your money.

I also have allergic issues with food, lactose intolerant and have a condition called eosinophillis eso****itis.

Good luck.