Low Cholesterol = High Mortality

BBB

BBB

Awards
  • Established
Low Cholesterol=High Mortality

True or false:

1. Low cholesterol levels are healthy.
2. You will live longer if you have a low cholesterol level.
3. If you have congestive heart failure, it is better to take a cholesterol- lowering drug.

The answer to all three statements is easy: All are false.How can that be? Have we been mislead by the media, American Heart Association, AMA, and nearly everyone else out there? This time, the answer is yes.A study in the American Heart Journal (Dec. 2008) pointed out the problems with low cholesterol levels in those with congestive heart failure. This study looked at 17,791 hospitalized patients at 236 sites who were admitted for congestive heart failure. The researchers divided the patients into four quartiles:

1. Total cholesterol of <1182.
Total cholesterol of 119-1453.
Total cholesterol of 146-1794.
Total cholesterol of >180

The most important number to look for in any study is the mortality numbers. Guess who lived the longest in the above four groups? If you guessed group one, you guessed wrong. Those in the lowest cholesterol group (quartile 1 above) had the highest death rate (3.3%). Those in the quartile 2 had a death rate of 2.5%. The next quartile (3 above) had a death rate of 2.0% and the group with the highest cholesterol levels had the lowest death rate at 1.3%. Other data from this study showed that those with lowered cholesterol levels had longer hospital length of stay and worse symptoms on discharge. Compared to those with the highest cholesterol levels (>180), those with the lowest cholesterol levels (<118) had a 65% higher risk of mortality.How can this be? Does it sound like Alice-In-Wonderland to you? It really isn’t that hard to understand when you understand the physiology of the body. It is well known that lowered cholesterol levels have been shown in many studies to be associated with a higher mortality rate. Cholesterol is a necessary and important substance in the body. It is necessary for proper mineral absorption and utilization, cell wall strength, immune system functioning and vitamin D production. There are many other important functions of cholesterol. My clinical experience has clearly shown that it is not wise to use a drug that blocks the production of cholesterol. It does not make physiologic sense and it does not make common sense. Cholesterol research studies do not prove that taking cholesterol-lowering medications prolong life. In fact, the best statin drugs have been shown to do is to lower the risk of a non-fatal heart attack by 1% over 2-3 years. This positive effect is seen only in the most favorable trials (i.e., those trials that Big Pharma Cartel decides to release for publication). However, there are many serious adverse effects of cholesterol-lowering medications including muscle and liver problems and an increased cancer rate. What should you do? Read and educate yourself about any drug or natural item that you are prescribed. Look at how the item works in the body and look at the possible adverse effects. Then, make your decision on whether it is in your best interest to take that substance. If it does not extend your lifespan or improve the quality of your life then perhaps you should avoid the substance. Cholesterol-lowering drugs have never been shown to improve longevity or quality of life.

Jeff

Awards
  • Established
hmmmm, my mom has had high cholesterol for as long as I can remember, she just turned 80 and is still kickin.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Cholesterol is a necessary and important substance in the body. It is necessary for proper mineral absorption and utilization, cell wall strength, immune system functioning and vitamin D production. There are many other important functions of cholesterol. My clinical experience has clearly shown that it is not wise to use a drug that blocks the production of cholesterol. It does not make physiologic sense and it does not make common sense.
"Cholesterol is a necessary and important substance in the body" is a understatement. As you mentioned many of the above benifets, cholesterol is the precursor to hormones such as testosterone, estrogen, androgen and progesterone, cortisol and DHEA. Yea, It's kind of a big deal. I agree, Just like it's not wise to completely blunt cortisol, or completely blunt estrogen neither would it be wise to completely blunt cholesterol or leave it dangerously low. This will have negative health effects and can have major ones. Especially with all the effects cholesterol has on the body. Seems like common sense to me ;)

It's been difficult preaching to numerous clientel and people I come in contact with that they don't need to worry about their cholesterol in their food as much as they think. They have it burned in their mind that Cholesterol is bad and it's hard to change that.

fitnessbyalex

fitnessbyalex

Awards
Typical blood work doesn't provide a good analysis of cholesterol. There are two type's of HDL's and you usually only get a "total HDL" number form the average lab.

It is widely accepted that high density lipoprotein (HDL) is the "good" cholesterol that protects an individual from developing heart disease. However, in a new study of transgenic mice, LBL researchers have demonstrated that not all HDLs provide the same degree of protection.

There are two major forms of HDL in the bloodstream of any individual human. One is called AI-HDL (or LpA-I) because it contains the protein apolipoprotein A-I (apoA-I), and the other is called AI/AII-HDL (or LpA-I, A-II) because it contains both apoA-I and the protein apolipoprotein A-II (apoA-II). The LBL researchers genetically altered mice so that they carried almost exclusively one or the other form of these human HDLs.

Following a high-fat, high-cholesterol diet, despite similar total cholesterol and HDL-cholesterol levels, the development of atherosclerotic lesions was 15 times greater in the mice that carried human AI/AII-HDL than in those that carried human AI-HDL.

"AI-HDL appears to be the antiatherogenic form of HDL while AI/AII-HDL is much less efficient in protecting an organism from developing heart disease," says Edward Rubin, of LBL's Life Sciences Division, who led this research. Working with Rubin on the study were Joshua Schultz, Judy Verstuyft, Elaine Gong, and Alex Nichols. Their findings were reported in the October 21, 1993 issue of the science magazine Nature. "

As long as there is no genetic pre-disposition to cholesterol issues, then cholesterol is usually NOT the issue. Saturated/trans fats, high sugar diets and acidic/inflammatory environments will do much more damage than eating "eggs." Dietary cholesterol has little impact on plasma cholesterol within reason. Its the other things that throw systems out of balance. Processed foods are killer because they contain combination's of nutrients (sugar, saturated fat, trans fat, salt etc) that would never occur in nature...and for good reason...

-Alex