1. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.57%
    Achievements Reputation ProPosting Pro

Question george Farah diet

anyone have any info on what George farah does for these guys to be so dense and low BF into shows with a ton of food???

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.57%

bmup
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.55%

Quote Originally Posted by JN230 View Post
    anyone have any info on what George farah does for these guys to be so dense and low BF into shows with a ton of food???
    Yes. Without giving away any sensitive information that he charges his clients for I can tell you his philosophy. THERMIC EFFECT OF FOOD. He likes to get his client's metabolisms RED hot with high protein and carb intake and volume training. He usually then slow tapers the carbs down to provide for body-fat loss as the contest prep continues. This method is quite effective for those who's body's can work well with it. I too believe it is important not to dive carbs too low until the end in order to keep one's metabolism up. Protein intake remains high and vegetable/fiber intake remains high to maintain thermogenesis. Most people would find themselves over-trained if they trained the way Farah generally advocates. I prefer a more high intensity style of training and my clients (in general) have more success with this. Many of my clients prefer not to use AAS and thus their recovery ability is limited (especially in a calorie deficit). That's why its important to keep the calories as high as possible and the metabolism as high as possible for as long as possible. If you do this, making small changes like removing 50g carbs every week or two and slightly increasing protein will yield a pretty significant reduction in body-fat.

-Alex
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  270 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.9%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting Pro

Good read.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.57%

damn! thnak you very much taht was my thought on what he did very high carbs very low fat to keep insulin levels high to provide anti catabolic effect but not having the fats to draw in and store because insulin is very high!
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.55%

damn! thnak you very much taht was my thought on what he did very high carbs very low fat to keep insulin levels high to provide anti catabolic effect but not having the fats to draw in and store because insulin is very high!
    He advocates the use of complex starchy carbohydrates for the purpose of keeping insulin levels moderate to low. High insulin literally causes an enzymatic process that inhibits fat loss (lipolysis). The purpose of keeping carbohydrates high is to keep the metabolism high. Having some simpler carbs around a workout to stimulate a little extra insulin secretion isn't a bad thing necessarily, but for the most part complex starchy carbs are the way to go when trying to loose bodyfat.

-Alex
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.57%

very true but i do know he advocates frit correct? which is typically Higher GI than Oat and such, but im not sure when, it could very well be around workout times...
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.55%

very true but i do know he advocates frit correct? which is typically Higher GI than Oat and such, but im not sure when, it could very well be around workout times...
    In earlier parts of the diet sure, but more likely in the off season. Fruit is a great source of fiber and phyto-nutrients and most fruit (dark skinned fruit at least) is low GI due to its fructose content. Remember, fructose is processed MUCH differently than glucose.

-Alex
  9. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.35%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

The GI is such a flawed measurement of carbs. Why anyone really cares about the GI of a specific food is beyond me.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.55%

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    The GI is such a flawed measurement of carbs. Why anyone really cares about the GI of a specific food is beyond me.
    it is relevant. However total glycemic load of a meal is more relevant. Without the individual GI's of each food comprising your meal it would be hard to qualitatively measure the glycemic load of a meal.

-Alex
  11. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.35%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by fitnessbyalex View Post
    it is relevant. However total glycemic load of a meal is more relevant. Without the individual GI's of each food comprising your meal it would be hard to qualitatively measure the glycemic load of a meal.

-Alex
    However, the insulin levels released is very dependent upon the other macronutrient consumed at that time.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.57%

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by fitnessbyalex View Post
    In earlier parts of the diet sure, but more likely in the off season. Fruit is a great source of fiber and phyto-nutrients and most fruit (dark skinned fruit at least) is low GI due to its fructose content. Remember, fructose is processed MUCH differently than glucose.

-Alex
    that is true as i have seen studies that is more likely to be stored as adipose tissue than used as glycogen because it actually becomes fat before it is then turned into glycogen. so i stay away from fruit
  13. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.35%

that is true as i have seen studies that is more likely to be stored as adipose tissue than used as glycogen because it actually becomes fat before it is then turned into glycogen. so i stay away from fruit
    I think you're using high-fructose corn syrup and fructose interchangeably when they are VERY different.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  14. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.55%

However, the insulin levels released is very dependent upon the other macronutrient consumed at that time.
    That is exactly what my last post said :]

-Alex
  15. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.55%

Fruit is not conducive to fat loss. I do not avoid it entirely. I'll add maybe 1/4 cup of wild blueberries to my oats/grits in the morning when I'm not getting ready for a contest or photo-shoot. For the most part I would avoid it and get your phytontrients, vits, mins etc from greens and even a fruit phytontrient supplement if you like.

-Alex
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.57%

ypu yup great advice here! you're one smart guy whats your background in nutrition?
  17. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.55%

ypu yup great advice here! you're one smart guy whats your background in nutrition?

Thanks brother!

-Degree in Nutrition and Applied Physiology from Columbia University
    -CISSN certification
    -experience

Check out my site if you want - fitnessbyalex dot com
  18. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.57%

nice, ill have my BA in Nutritoin and food this summer from CSUS, nothing special tho
  19. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.55%

nice, ill have my BA in Nutritoin and food this summer from CSUS, nothing special tho
    Any credentials will help you brother! In the end it comes down to experience and learning by doing. A BA in Nutrition is great. Keep at it!

-Alex
  20. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.35%

Far more important than having a piece of paper is having both scientific knowledge and how to apply that knowledge. By and large, many nutritionists are years and years behind because they are far too dogmatic on many subjects. Empirical data is wonderful, but a lack thereof does not equate to it not being somewhat truthful. I have no formal degree in nutrition, but I have taken several graduate level classes and their knowledge is staggeringly old, especially in the sports nutrition area (their protein requirements are beyond hilarious).
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  21. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.55%

Far more important than having a piece of paper is having both scientific knowledge and how to apply that knowledge. By and large, many nutritionists are years and years behind because they are far too dogmatic on many subjects. Empirical data is wonderful, but a lack thereof does not equate to it not being somewhat truthful. I have no formal degree in nutrition, but I have taken several graduate level classes and their knowledge is staggeringly old, especially in the sports nutrition area (their protein requirements are beyond hilarious).
    I agree with you. It is frustrating to sit and listen to the sometimes utter-nonsense they teach in nutrition programs, even at the graduate level. Real world experience and results are what truly matters. The Credentials just act as a cushion to remove people's doubt in one's knowledge and understanding of certain subjects.

-Alex

Similar Forum Threads

1. George Farah at his finest...
    By buffquads in forum Pro Bodybuilding
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-02-2011, 02:28 PM
  2. Farah Fawcett RIP
    By Fastone in forum General Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-26-2009, 02:10 AM
  3. Why we will all miss George W
    By lutherblsstt in forum Politics