should carbs be taken before bed? or no

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. should carbs be taken before bed? or no


    Iam trying to build muscle. I heard that carbs are bad before bed because fat is the primary energy source used when asleep. But than again dont I need carbs to build muscles?


  2. A moderate amount of complex carb.s is ideal.....avoid quick digesting carb.s in large quantity....it's about spiking insulin and storage vs a slow burning source of energy/nutrition and reducing cortisol.
    •   
       


  3. cottage cheese is ideal right before bed, it contains casien protein, few carbs. Carbs are your bodies main source of energy......how much energy do you need to sleep? a little? sure a little but not alot like cflight mentioned.......

  4. i do 6 meals a day so first 3 meals are carbs n protein, last 3 are protein and fat. been working well so far.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions

  5. Quote Originally Posted by marcink99 View Post
    Iam trying to build muscle. I heard that carbs are bad before bed because fat is the primary energy source used when asleep. But than again dont I need carbs to build muscles?
    Carbs before bed will not make you fat.

  6. I do 2 scoops of now carbo gain (complex carbs) and one scoop of protein about an hour before bed. Im not getting fat.. And I like to feel somewhat full before bed..

  7. Quote Originally Posted by SmallTownIron View Post
    Carbs before bed will not make you fat.
    +1

    Too many calories before bed (or any time for that matter) make you fat.

  8. I agree with the posts above. I think complex carbs are okay before bed.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by gamer2be08 View Post
    I do 2 scoops of now carbo gain (complex carbs) and one scoop of protein about an hour before bed. Im not getting fat.. And I like to feel somewhat full before bed..

    i can't stand going to bed hungry! ruins my night until i make myself go and eat something so i can go to sleep.

    so it screws me over in the end if i try to just eat protein before bed.
    For me, the action IS the juice.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by Nitrox View Post
    +1

    Too many calories before bed (or any time for that matter) make you fat.
    Exactly. Without eating excessive calories, having some healthy fats like nuts, avocado, whole eggs or red meat with some veggies/fiber is a great pre-bed meal. These nutrients will absorb slowly, keeping you satiated throughout the night. The fat content will provide an excellent and preferable alternative to glucose during sleep. The body will burn it slowly and it will not result in extra circulating insulin which is a great way to store fat in your sleep.

    -Alex
    •   
       


  11. Quote Originally Posted by fitnessbyalex View Post
    Exactly. Without eating excessive calories, having some healthy fats like nuts, avocado, whole eggs or red meat with some veggies/fiber is a great pre-bed meal. These nutrients will absorb slowly, keeping you satiated throughout the night. The fat content will provide an excellent and preferable alternative to glucose during sleep. The body will burn it slowly and it will not result in extra circulating insulin which is a great way to store fat in your sleep.

    -Alex
    Carbs before bed will blunt GH.

  12. Quote Originally Posted by Bionic View Post
    Carbs before bed will blunt GH.
    Correct.

    -Alex

  13. I like my coconut oil before bed in the place of carbs.

  14. Quote Originally Posted by Blacktail View Post
    I like my coconut oil before bed in the place of carbs.
    This is an OK idea. However I advise against it as coconut oil is primarily MCT's which are burned rather quickly as energy; much like glucose albeit via different metabolic pathways. Stick to mono/poly unsaturated fats but feel free to include a little MCT's as the combination can promote some fat loss during sleep.

    -Alex

  15. Quote Originally Posted by Bnatural View Post
    Any amount of food that creates an insulin spike will blunt gh.

    most tend to steer clear of higher carbs meals pre bed. I usually go with some whole eggs or natural peanut butter/whey protein
    I too advocate consuming something like whole eggs, salmon or red meat with some greens prior to bed.

    keep in mind that even BCAA's/whey and lean protein will create an insulin spike. Almost any food will. Quick releases of glucose into the blood stream trigger a large pulse in insulin and thus a large increase in somatostatin which will suppress HGH. complex carbs do not create this large insulin pulse. Yes they will cause an insulin release, as will just a whey shake, however you tend to get the best of both worlds here. Also I don't necessarily recommend anyone slam down a meal IMMEDIATELY post training. Stretch, relax, catch your breath, let your CNS cool off and then eat. Digestion will be improved and the hormonal environment will be better suited to utilize the nutrients efficiently


    -Alex

  16. Quote Originally Posted by Bionic View Post
    Carbs before bed will blunt GH.
    But to what extent?

  17. I slam about 24 ounces + of skim milk with a tablespoon of flaxseed oil right before bed. I haven't gotten fat from it.
    Also, I believe studies have shown that eating lots of calories before bed and later in the day hasn't shown to increase fat. BUT eating most of your calories in the morning/earlier in the day and not within 3 hours of bed has shown to increase mass-less fat loss (but I believe the study was only conducted on woman).
    I don't have a link to the abstract but i'm sure you can google it.
    Greek yogurt is good before bed too if you have to get up and pee in the middle of the night (I don't).

  18. Quote Originally Posted by lennoxchi View Post
    cottage cheese is ideal right before bed, it contains casien protein, few carbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bionic View Post
    Carbs before bed will blunt GH.

  19. Quote Originally Posted by fitnessbyalex View Post
    I too advocate consuming something like whole eggs, salmon or red meat with some greens prior to bed.

    keep in mind that even BCAA's/whey and lean protein will create an insulin spike. Almost any food will. Quick releases of glucose into the blood stream trigger a large pulse in insulin and thus a large increase in somatostatin which will suppress HGH. complex carbs do not create this large insulin pulse. Yes they will cause an insulin release, as will just a whey shake, however you tend to get the best of both worlds here. Also I don't necessarily recommend anyone slam down a meal IMMEDIATELY post training. Stretch, relax, catch your breath, let your CNS cool off and then eat. Digestion will be improved and the hormonal environment will be better suited to utilize the nutrients efficiently
    HGH is good for fat loss and staying leaner, but hasn't been shown to increase muscle mass, LEAN mass yes, but not muscle.
    So if his prime concern is just gaining muscle, then insulin won't be so bad at all. But nobody wants to gain more fat than they have to during a bulk, sooo best avoid the giants fudge/chocolate sundae before hitting the sack.

  20. Quote Originally Posted by fitnessbyalex View Post
    I too advocate consuming something like whole eggs, salmon or red meat with some greens prior to bed.

    keep in mind that even BCAA's/whey and lean protein will create an insulin spike. Almost any food will. Quick releases of glucose into the blood stream trigger a large pulse in insulin and thus a large increase in somatostatin which will suppress HGH. complex carbs do not create this large insulin pulse. Yes they will cause an insulin release, as will just a whey shake, however you tend to get the best of both worlds here. Also I don't necessarily recommend anyone slam down a meal IMMEDIATELY post training. Stretch, relax, catch your breath, let your CNS cool off and then eat. Digestion will be improved and the hormonal environment will be better suited to utilize the nutrients efficiently


    -Alex
    We can debate timing here (post-workout meal timing), but we are generally on the same page and at the same understanding of nutrients...

    I know about insulin, and what tends to spike it and how every BODY is different when it comes to the macro levels it takes to spike it.

  21. I allow only 40 clean carbs max intake before bed.
    I also ingest 60 grams of protein.
    I eat a total of 400 calories before bed.
    90 cal skim milk
    200 cal protein shake
    90 cal whole weat pretzel.
    I lose weight doing this....while gaining muscle.
    Total cals for day 1400....
    I am on a cutting cycle....With a test booster...
    It is working!!!

  22. Do you really think your body really stops working when you go to bed? You need to think of your body in terms of a few days worth of nutrition at a time. I eat some kind of fruit and nuts before bed and have had success with suggesting a small balanced meal 2 hours or so before bed to clients. If you need more calories in a day, eat them whenever you can, including before bed. You're not going to get fat unless your totals for the day exceed what they should, not because you decided to eat a little oatmeal/fruit before bed.

  23. Quote Originally Posted by wearedbleedblue View Post
    Do you really think your body really stops working when you go to bed? You need to think of your body in terms of a few days worth of nutrition at a time. I eat some kind of fruit and nuts before bed and have had success with suggesting a small balanced meal 2 hours or so before bed to clients. If you need more calories in a day, eat them whenever you can, including before bed. You're not going to get fat unless your totals for the day exceed what they should, not because you decided to eat a little oatmeal/fruit before bed.
    QFE

  24. Quote Originally Posted by Bnatural View Post
    We can debate timing here (post-workout meal timing), but we are generally on the same page and at the same understanding of nutrients...

    I know about insulin, and what tends to spike it and how every BODY is different when it comes to the macro levels it takes to spike it.
    exactly. For instance beef - despite its higher fat content, lean beef should/will actually cause a greater rise in BP insulin due to its higher leucine content

    -Alex

  25. Quote Originally Posted by wearedbleedblue View Post
    Do you really think your body really stops working when you go to bed? You need to think of your body in terms of a few days worth of nutrition at a time. I eat some kind of fruit and nuts before bed and have had success with suggesting a small balanced meal 2 hours or so before bed to clients. If you need more calories in a day, eat them whenever you can, including before bed. You're not going to get fat unless your totals for the day exceed what they should, not because you decided to eat a little oatmeal/fruit before bed.
    You cannot just nibble all day and then eat a 2,000 calorie meal of fruit, meat, bread and nuts before bed and expect the same results as a balanced intake of nutrients, timed around physiologic/hormonal environments that best utilize the nutrients. I am not saying that you do this, just encouraging everyone to understand that it is best to optimize nutrient timing.

    -Alex

  26. Quote Originally Posted by fitnessbyalex View Post
    You cannot just nibble all day and then eat a 2,000 calorie meal of fruit, meat, bread and nuts before bed and expect the same results as a balanced intake of nutrients, timed around physiologic/hormonal environments that best utilize the nutrients. I am not saying that you do this, just encouraging everyone to understand that it is best to optimize nutrient timing.

    -Alex
    I get where you and the original poster are going, I think you misread what the original fella posted though... he can elaborate on it, but if you reread his statement you'll see you both are on same page

  27. A lot of people are caught up in the minutae around here. Yes, its ideal to have balance meals at every possibility with higher carbs around workouts. But this is the real world and I work with real people. Not everybody has the desire or drive to count every last carb and time it exactly. People need flexibility and what has worked best for my clients and friends are hitting total macro goals day in and day out with planned cheats/refeeds on occasion. Until people are 90-95% solid on their totals for the day, every day, for 6-8 weeks, there is no reason to get more advanced.

    In my opinion, diet and exercise are about progression. If you jump in and make things too complicated and advanced too quickly, adherence goes way down. The best food plan with timing and supplements is crap if someone can't/won't follow it.

  28. And yes, what is BP insulin? I think you're also getting caught up in little details that don't mean much in the grand scheme. Beef has about 4-5g of leucine in a 250g portion. I'm not too worried about those numbers.

    Here's another tidbit. Just smelling food can release insulin. Does this mean we should walk around with nose plugs unless we're trying to spike insulin?
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Complex carbs supps vs simple carbs after workout ?
    By Markusrulezzz in forum Supplements
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 07-30-2012, 09:52 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-27-2010, 01:50 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-23-2008, 06:39 PM
  4. Refined Carbs Leads to Fat not total carbs
    By ironviking in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-18-2005, 10:08 AM
Log in
Log in