Muscle Mass

yarie

Awards
Hello, let me begin with my apologies as I am very naive about this whole fitness and nutrition bussiness. I just bought a scale which measures not only weight but, fat%, water%, bone mass and muscle mass. I hope you all can give some input as what my numbers should be. I'll let you in on what my numbers are currently (I know I have to bring my fat% down). Ok here we go...Fat% 28.4; body water % 51.5; bone mass 5.2; muscle mass 37.9 and my weight is 122.6.
I am 31 yrs old, female and stand about 5 feet tall. I typically am very active and work out 5-6 times a week but just coming off of a knee injury (bone contusion). I think if I would have done this test a little over a month ago (before my injury) my numbers would have been better, especially my fat %. I can say that I was at 29% back in November...so thats progress right? ;) I would appreciate your opinons and input.

Yarie

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Don't put all your stock in those numbers. They aren't accurate t all. How do you look. Are you as lean as you want? Find a trainer at your gym to do a caliper test which isn't perfect but better tham the scale. At 5' 122lbs, you aren't too fat I wouldn't imagine. Depending on body comp ideal weight might be around 115 or so unless you already he quite a bit of muscle.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hello, let me begin with my apologies as I am very naive about this whole fitness and nutrition bussiness. I just bought a scale which measures not only weight but, fat%, water%, bone mass and muscle mass. I hope you all can give some input as what my numbers should be. I'll let you in on what my numbers are currently (I know I have to bring my fat% down). Ok here we go...Fat% 28.4; body water % 51.5; bone mass 5.2; muscle mass 37.9 and my weight is 122.6.
I am 31 yrs old, female and stand about 5 feet tall. I typically am very active and work out 5-6 times a week but just coming off of a knee injury (bone contusion). I think if I would have done this test a little over a month ago (before my injury) my numbers would have been better, especially my fat %. I can say that I was at 29% back in November...so thats progress right? ;) I would appreciate your opinons and input.

Yarie
As mentioned, don't even pay attention to the numbers output by that scale, aside from weight, as the body composition reading will be so inaccurate it's not funny. If you want a more accurate measure re body composition get an ISAK skinfold test done as a baseline (note that anything less than 6 skinfolds, or someone who just picks up your skinfolds withOUT measuring out where the skinfold sites are, and you're getting into inaccurate territory again, and you can only use this to measure progress - albeit not accurate - if you use the SAME person each time).

No one is going to tell you what your weight and body composition SHOULD be. Everyone is different and has different ideals re weight and body composition.

And, as already said, 122lb at your height is not bad at all.

If you're coming off an injury training 5-6 times a week may be a bit much. Make sure that you have (if you have not already) rehabilitated the injury!

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
lol I have one of those and it told me i have 18.5% BF, i barely feel an ounce of fat on me and I regularly wash clothes on my stomach

yarie

Awards
Thanks for all the info! I do try to go by what I feel and what I see in the mirror as opposed to what the scale says. I was just curious as to what those things mean. I should have explained better...I was only working out that much before my injury...I have slowed down big time after being out of the gym for a month and a half. Again, thanks for the feedback.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
The skinfold is going to be accurate but not precise. Difference is consistency. Calipers will give you a good idea if you're losing or not but won't tell you true bodyfat numbers. It depends on where you store your fat and the person performing the test.

If you can find a bodpod, a DEXA scan or underwater weighing tank in the area, each of those will be more precise in the number they give, and have less human error.

To be at 20% using the numbers you gave you'd need to lose about 12lbs of pure fat. Focus on the eating aspect to get the fat off, you already have the training aspect set. Just work back up to the volume you were doing, slowly over time, with the help of your doctor.

For now, just take some long walks and try to be more active. Look at the big picture. You have another 40+ years to be where you want to be as far as body composition is concerned. Health of your body should come first. Take the 6 months or a year and slowly chip away at the fat instead of rushing to get rid of it. Easier to keep off and easier on the body.

fitnessbyalex

fitnessbyalex

Awards
The skinfold is going to be accurate but not precise. Difference is consistency. Calipers will give you a good idea if you're losing or not but won't tell you true bodyfat numbers. It depends on where you store your fat and the person performing the test.

If you can find a bodpod, a DEXA scan or underwater weighing tank in the area, each of those will be more precise in the number they give, and have less human error.

To be at 20% using the numbers you gave you'd need to lose about 12lbs of pure fat. Focus on the eating aspect to get the fat off, you already have the training aspect set. Just work back up to the volume you were doing, slowly over time, with the help of your doctor.

For now, just take some long walks and try to be more active. Look at the big picture. You have another 40+ years to be where you want to be as far as body composition is concerned. Health of your body should come first. Take the 6 months or a year and slowly chip away at the fat instead of rushing to get rid of it. Easier to keep off and easier on the body.
This is very realistic advice. I agree

-Alex