Early Morning Workouts

Tdilliner

Awards
Ok here's the deal, I either have class or work from 9-5 mon-fri. Being a college student that usually leaves my nights pretty booked up with studying, papers, etc. So I like to go lift in the morning. I've never minded getting up an hour or 2 early so it fits easily into my schedule. Also I like to get in there before all the "spring breakers" who have no dedication at all and crowd out the gym doing nothing but curls all evening. :damnit1: The question is... is this a good idea working out on a basically empty stomach?

I usually get up and grab a handful or two of raisins, a scoop of natty PB, and a protein shake with some blueberries in it and hit the gym. Is this enough to not be considered an "empty stomach?"

I guess it also depends on your goals. Right now mine are to put on a few lean pounds but to keep my BF low since I'm about to go on cycle. (To all of you cycle nazis I definitely do have an entire PCT and cycle support ready)

Any help/insight about the working out early thing would be great. I'm still learning and appreciate anyone smarter than me helping out. Thanks

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
(To all of you cycle nazis I definitely do have an entire PCT and cycle support ready)
LMAO....^^ very clever. i work out right before work everyday. i'm cutting right now so i eat 3 egg whites before i go but when i was bulking i was eating pretty much what you have listed and 3 egg whites. i have a hard time lifting on a full stomach so i would have at least some fast and slow digesting protein with some sort of carb

Tdilliner

Awards
What carb would you suggest? Maybe some oatmeal? I just have a time constraint with class or work at 9 so I try to avoid waking up too early so I can still get my 7-8 hours. Egg whites are a problem since I can't cook where I live, maybe I can boil them at home and take them with me. Hmm...

It just seems like I read somewhere that if you don't have carbs or something to burn you burn muscle is that true?? I figured it would burn fat, but hey idk. I'm pretty lean so losing muscle would be bad

Oh and I mix my morning shake with some milk to try and get some more fats and protein in my stomach befor lifting

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
What carb would you suggest? Maybe some oatmeal? I just have a time constraint with class or work at 9 so I try to avoid waking up too early so I can still get my 7-8 hours. Egg whites are a problem since I can't cook where I live, maybe I can boil them at home and take them with me. Hmm...

It just seems like I read somewhere that if you don't have carbs or something to burn you burn muscle is that true?? I figured it would burn fat, but hey idk. I'm pretty lean so losing muscle would be bad

Oh and I mix my morning shake with some milk to try and get some more fats and protein in my stomach befor lifting
quick and easy carbs....toast, wheat toast. i eat just enough to kick the hunger pains away for the couple of hours i'm in the gym and have a cooler filled, ready to go when i get done