Low carb

Tw1st3d13

Awards
I weigh 168 and need to be at 150 ASAP I have been on a low carb high protein diet aprox 20 grams or less daily loosing 1-1.5 lbs a day also taking multi vitamins and drinking a gallon of water a day with amino acids I KNOW its unhealthy but I feel slight muscle pain and not much of a carb craving im working out 3 days a week still is this unhealthy this diet will only last another 1-2 weeks and should I increase carb intake slightly? Im not trying to build lean mass BTW

Tw1st3d13

Awards
That didnt help cuz i know how to loose weight fast im loosing a pound or so a day I wanna know if its healthy for a short term and if im loosing muscle

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
I weigh 168 and need to be at 150 ASAP I have been on a low carb high protein diet aprox 20 grams or less daily loosing 1-1.5 lbs a day also taking multi vitamins and drinking a gallon of water a day with amino acids I KNOW its unhealthy but I feel slight muscle pain and not much of a carb craving im working out 3 days a week still is this unhealthy this diet will only last another 1-2 weeks and should I increase carb intake slightly? Im not trying to build lean mass BTW
Couple of things.

You won't be losing 1 to 1,5 lbs per day of fat on low carb. Initially you will lose significant weight from losing carbs and associated water. On avrage 2 kg, or 5lbs.

If you go very low carb, as you have, you will also lose vital minerals with the water, which will lead to muscle pain. I experienced this when I first on the palumbo diet. I found out that the cramps or muscular pain was from low magnesium and the mild palpitations from low potassium. I supplemented with mag and pat and was fine.

Tw1st3d13

Awards
Couple of things.

You won't be losing 1 to 1,5 lbs per day of fat on low carb. Initially you will lose significant weight from losing carbs and associated water. On avrage 2 kg, or 5lbs.

If you go very low carb, as you have, you will also lose vital minerals with the water, which will lead to muscle pain. I experienced this when I first on the palumbo diet. I found out that the cramps or muscular pain was from low magnesium and the mild palpitations from low potassium. I supplemented with mag and pat and was fine.
Thanks for the great detailed answer i increased my carb intake to 40 grams and protein intake is now 150 grams! less muscle pain and still loosing weight

rk5050

Awards
I would once every three or four days go up on your carbs for at least two days not to lose much muscle and will help daily function.

fitnessbyalex

fitnessbyalex

Awards
Couple of things.

The water-loss will improve your body composition immediately and then you may continue to loose a good amount of fat but this will soon stop. On a very low carb diet your body thinks your starving. it halts its metabolic rate and makes it necessary to consume very few calories to keep burning fat. This is counterproductive. Also, fat has low/no thermic effect. The net effect is significantly lowered metabolic rate.

-Alex

Naberious

Naberious

Awards
Google a Cyclical Keto Diet...

It's a low carb diet option for BodyBuilders... Gives you days to "recarb" and you can use those as a cheat day to get your fill of the good stuff!

Also, supplementing with a good multi and fish oil will help supplement anything else you arent getting.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i do non cycling low carb dieting year round, i hate carb loading,

i lost 46 pounds in less than 2 years, and keep my carbs under 50grams daily

actually ive been low carb dieting for 9 years now, but made a few mistakes with overeating, and now watching the quality of my foods, but experience really comes in hand now, with the fine tune i made and learning off of my mistakes i will never go off strict low carb dieting.

still have some fat to lose, but building muscle is not a problem and having the energy to train hard is improved without carbs (if you do it right.) not that im huge but compare me to the average guy. no glycogen here!

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
anyways, if your going in ketosis you will be fine for 2-4 weeks,

dont do cycling for the ketosis period, it will halt your progress. thats something you can mess around with once you achieve your weight loss goals, or if your stuck something to experiment with it.

just make sure your not taking any artificial sweeteners, and dont consume any caffeine or you may slow progress.

take a lil vitamins, fish oil and vit c daily too. cook with coconut oil, and dont overeat either. ketosis isnt the key to endless eating but be sure to eat 5-6 small size meals all day.

dont drink protein shakes either the carbs build up, and the fast absorbing whey can cause a lil spike in insulin and ruin ketosis besides the fact that most have artificial sweeteners.

your initial weight loss will be water, so you will get a dramatic weight loss in the beginning, but that doesnt really count. just keep in mind it will slow down i lil in a few days.

fitnessbyalex

fitnessbyalex

Awards
anyways, if your going in ketosis you will be fine for 2-4 weeks,

dont do cycling for the ketosis period, it will halt your progress. thats something you can mess around with once you achieve your weight loss goals, or if your stuck something to experiment with it.

just make sure your not taking any artificial sweeteners, and dont consume any caffeine or you may slow progress.

take a lil vitamins, fish oil and vit c daily too. cook with coconut oil, and dont overeat either. ketosis isnt the key to endless eating but be sure to eat 5-6 small size meals all day.

dont drink protein shakes either the carbs build up, and the fast absorbing whey can cause a lil spike in insulin and ruin ketosis besides the fact that most have artificial sweeteners.

your initial weight loss will be water, so you will get a dramatic weight loss in the beginning, but that doesnt really count. just keep in mind it will slow down i lil in a few days.
Ketosis works well for last minute attacks on bodyfat stores, for women, and for people with high percentages of bodyfat. Relying on ketosis for any other reason except fitting into one of the above categories is not ideal. You WILL eventually loose muscle, and slow your metabolic rate down. If you're not holding a lot of muscle you may not loose much muscle but when you are holding an extra 25, 50lbs of muscle on your frame, prolonged ketosis will assuredly chip away at it.

Ketosis can be healthy, for inactive people or at least those not "bodybuilding" or weight training. Other than that I highly advise against it.

Cyclic ketogenic diets are more hassle than they are worth. they are hit or miss and usually have you floating in and out of ketosis, thus messing with your energy levels, mood, cognition and gym performance. Get the right guidance if necessary to learn your body and feed it optimally for your lifestyle. if you lift weights, play sports, or are highly active you will need some carbohydrates. Also, anyone reading this - please refrain from regurgitating the "carbs aren't essential" content that blew up over the internet over the last years. They may not be elementally essential to sedentary life but you cannot train effectively, constructively and progressively with no glycogen and without carbohydrates. I work with many many clients (models, fitness athletes and bodybuilders, as well as normal sedentary folk). I may use ketosis as a way to encourage fat loss in sedentary people or those who have a very high bodyfat %. Other than that, for the training athlete I will only use it as a way to shock the body into loosing stubborn fat if nothing else works.

Alex

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
but you cannot train effectively, constructively and progressively with no glycogen and without carbohydrates. I work with many many clients (models, fitness athletes and bodybuilders, as well as normal sedentary folk).

Alex
why have i made so much progress then? why are my workouts just as good if not better than when i used to eat carbs?

you gotta understand to, im genetically obese, and for some people low carb dieting with bodybuilding is the best option for success.

have you heard of palumbo? there are plenty of succesful bodybuilders who do low carb dieting, i knew one in person, he was freaking jacked and he low carb dieted year round with no loading.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
"Dave Palumbo Keto Diet

Palumbo Diet:

Supps:
ESSENTIAL POLYUNSATURATES:
-Omega-3 Fish Oil pills 1000mg 3x per day
-Evening Primrose Oil (Omega-6) 1300mg 2x per day
-Extra Virgin Olive Oil is still better for your heart! These are HEART HEALTHY MONOUNSATURATED FATS (along with MACADAMIA NUT OIL). MONO's are NOT essential fats; however, they ARE very heart healthy.

NON ESSENTIAL but HEART HEALTHY
Macadamia Nut oil (Omega-9 monosaturates) 2-3 ablespoons per day
I'm a believer in a good whole food supplement. I've mentioned it before:

Juice Plus+ gives you 12 servings of fruits and veggies in 4 pills (no sugar, no fiber). http://www.juiceplus.com/nsa/pages/H...a?site=dp02724

Good legal Test/anti-aromatase:
6-oxo or Gaspari Novedex XT

Liver Support:
LIV-52 by Himalayan Labs for liver detoxification at its best!

Take all supps with food

Diet: (for 250lb man)
Meal 1 6 whole Omega-3 eggs
Meal 2 8oz chicken with 1/2 cup raw almonds
Meal 3 50g whey with 2 tablespoons all natural peanutbutter (PWO)
Meal 4 8oz salmon with 1 cup asparagus with 1 tablespoon macadamia nut oil
Meal 5 50 g whey with 2 tablespoon PB
Meal 6 6 whole eggs
(5 meals for Women)

HAVE YOUR CHEAT MEAL ON THE SAME DAY EVERY WEEK, last meal of the day so you dont cheat again.

FOR WEIGHT GAIN:
Follow my same formula. . . High protein (50g per meal), Moderate Fat (25g per meal), and moderate carbs (35-50g per meal). If you're a hard gainer, eat 8-10 meals. If you're an easy gainer (but get fat easily), stick to 6 meals per day.

For the 1000th time, when following my diet plan (which includes getting your brain into ketosis), there can be NO starchy carbs eaten!

Cardio:
CARDIO should be performed at a low intensity (under 120bpm heartrate). This will ensure that you use FAT as a fuelsource since as your heartrate increase, carbohydrates begin to become the preferred fuel of choice for the body. When on a low carb diet, you're body will break down muscle and turn that into carbs. Remember, Fat CANNOT be changed into carbs. Therefore, for bodybuilding, the rule of cardio should be LONG DURATION, LOW INTENSITY

Forget using:
-MCT's are a waste when you're dieting. If you're gonna use FATS for an energy source, they might as well serve a function in the body. MCTs are useless. They can only serve as a source of energy!
-Arginine is not going to do anything. It will DO something; just not dramatic"

Attachments

fitnessbyalex

fitnessbyalex

Awards
why have i made so much progress then? why are my workouts just as good if not better than when i used to eat carbs?

you gotta understand to, im genetically obese, and for some people low carb dieting with bodybuilding is the best option for success.

have you heard of palumbo? there are plenty of succesful bodybuilders who do low carb dieting, i knew one in person, he was freaking jacked and he low carb dieted year round with no loading.
I am actually a friend of Dave Palumbo and earlier in my career I worked with him for a contest. I was in great shape, as he get's all of his clients in shape.

You are misunderstanding certain things - they are not so cut and dry. Most competitive or serious athletes that diet into a show using ketosis need to compensate for the sluggish metabolism (caused by prolonged ketogenic state) by using T3, Clen and doing 2-3 hours of cardio per day. I can get in shape for a show while eating carbs and doing no more than an hour of cardio per day MAX. Usually 30 minutes (I do not have a genetically fast metabolism either). My clients almost always get away with a similar amount of cardio. No client of mine follows the exact same protocol. Everyone is different and their metabolism's are different. If you used to be very over-weight than I think you should be very happy with the success you have achieved with respect to your body composition. Low carb dieting does work for some people and I made specific mention of that. Also, I mentioned that I do not completely avoid using ketosis as a tool when working with clients for shows or photo-shoots or just to achieve their body comp. goals. However I do not rely on it long term as it has proven time and time again to be less effective. Dave Palumbo's diet guidelines on the internet are great because they are rather one-size fit's all and most people who follow the diet according to their body weight will loose fat. There is more manipulation and physiological understanding involved when dieting with carbs but the results are almost always better. Again, I am referring to a competitive athlete, serious recreational athlete etc. Not the average sedentary or obese individual.

-Alex

bmcjames

bmcjames

Awards
  • Established
I am actually a friend of Dave Palumbo and earlier in my career I worked with him for a contest. I was in great shape, as he get's all of his clients in shape.

You are misunderstanding certain things - they are not so cut and dry. Most competitive or serious athletes that diet into a show using ketosis need to compensate for the sluggish metabolism (caused by prolonged ketogenic state) by using T3, Clen and doing 2-3 hours of cardio per day. I can get in shape for a show while eating carbs and doing no more than an hour of cardio per day MAX. Usually 30 minutes (I do not have a genetically fast metabolism either). My clients almost always get away with a similar amount of cardio. No client of mine follows the exact same protocol. Everyone is different and their metabolism's are different. If you used to be very over-weight than I think you should be very happy with the success you have achieved with respect to your body composition. Low carb dieting does work for some people and I made specific mention of that. Also, I mentioned that I do not completely avoid using ketosis as a tool when working with clients for shows or photo-shoots or just to achieve their body comp. goals. However I do not rely on it long term as it has proven time and time again to be less effective. Dave Palumbo's diet guidelines on the internet are great because they are rather one-size fit's all and most people who follow the diet according to their body weight will loose fat. There is more manipulation and physiological understanding involved when dieting with carbs but the results are almost always better. Again, I am referring to a competitive athlete, serious recreational athlete etc. Not the average sedentary or obese individual.

-Alex

When you say do not prolong the keto diets how long are you talking? This weekending is my first carb up on a keto diet so it will have me in right at 2 weeks on it now. Should I cut the keto off at the 4th week to prevent muscle loss and transition back over to a more traditional diet after the 4th week?

Thanks in advance
-James

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
thanks for your detailed responses alex:) you know your stuff for sure.

i dont do prolonged keto myself, but i do keep it a maintenance level of around 50grams daily.

works for me, but i dont like telling people to mimick me though.

fitnessbyalex

fitnessbyalex

Awards
When you say do not prolong the keto diets how long are you talking? This weekending is my first carb up on a keto diet so it will have me in right at 2 weeks on it now. Should I cut the keto off at the 4th week to prevent muscle loss and transition back over to a more traditional diet after the 4th week?

Thanks in advance
-James
I am referring more to the people who stay on a keto diet between 12-16 weeks. after about 6 weeks the metabolism starts to slow, gets quite sluggish around week 8 and then usually makes the rest of the prep drag. This is when people start doing 2+ hours of cardio and start cutting calories even further to promote fat loss. This is all assuming of course that the individual is NOT using T3 and/or clen which keep the metabolism artificially elevated thus making the entire process much easier.

-Alex

fitnessbyalex

fitnessbyalex

Awards
thanks for your detailed responses alex:) you know your stuff for sure.

i dont do prolonged keto myself, but i do keep it a maintenance level of around 50grams daily.

works for me, but i dont like telling people to mimick me though.
Thanks brother! I think that given your metabolism and body-type (from what you have mentioned) you are doing what's likely best for you. That is the ultimate goal anyone should seek to accomplish - to find what works best for them. keep it up man!

-Alex

bmcjames

bmcjames

Awards
  • Established
I am referring more to the people who stay on a keto diet between 12-16 weeks. after about 6 weeks the metabolism starts to slow, gets quite sluggish around week 8 and then usually makes the rest of the prep drag. This is when people start doing 2+ hours of cardio and start cutting calories even further to promote fat loss. This is all assuming of course that the individual is NOT using T3 and/or clen which keep the metabolism artificially elevated thus making the entire process much easier.

-Alex

Thanks man

I only have a few more weeks left of cutting, my plan is to do the keto in cycles of 3-4 weeks of keto then cycle back to a more traditional diet for 2 weeks then back to keto for one more time and I am finished cutting. Does this seem like an intelligent move to you?

I am not using any weight loss products at all, I have a tub of Animal Cuts just waiting on me to be going sub 10% (am right in around 14% at 218lbs today). I rarely ever do weight loss products because I know that I can get down to 10% without any at all as I have done it several times in the past with no problems what so ever...

Thanks again
James

fitnessbyalex

fitnessbyalex

Awards
Thanks man

I only have a few more weeks left of cutting, my plan is to do the keto in cycles of 3-4 weeks of keto then cycle back to a more traditional diet for 2 weeks then back to keto for one more time and I am finished cutting. Does this seem like an intelligent move to you?

I am not using any weight loss products at all, I have a tub of Animal Cuts just waiting on me to be going sub 10% (am right in around 14% at 218lbs today). I rarely ever do weight loss products because I know that I can get down to 10% without any at all as I have done it several times in the past with no problems what so ever...

Thanks again
James
I think you should stick to the traditional diet for a longer period of time. Play with your carbs to facilitate fat loss. If you are struggling to loose some last minute fat, then do a ~2-3 week burst of keto.

-Alex