Water during meals

zodiiac523

zodiiac523

Awards
  • Established
ran a search, couldn't find anything on this. But someone brought this up to me.. They said drinking water with your meals makes you lose some of your foods nutrients, the guy who told me this isnt a bodybuilder or even very active for that matter, just someone at work... I did a search on google and nothing seems to support that.. actually found the opposite in research..

here
Water after meals: Does it disturb digestion? - MayoClinic.com

and here
WHFoods: Is it okay to drink water while eating or will it negatively impact my digestion?

I personally drink most of my water before and after meals rarely do i drink any during, not because of what that guy told me, but its just more convenient for me.. Does anyone else know anything about this? From what i have found it doesnt seem to really matter, when do you guys drink your water?

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
I have no research to back it up, but a fat guy I know, who has lost a ton of weight, his health was pretty much compromised, told me his doctor/nutritionist told him to absolutely not drink with meals. Hes drinking a ton of water, which is great, but we talked about some of the principals they have him following and he was pretty explicit on that one, but I cant remember the exact reasoning they gave him.

killamac27

killamac27

Awards
The idea behind this is that the water dilutes your stomach acid concentration thus slowing down the breakdown process of protein and other nutrients.

zodiiac523

zodiiac523

Awards
  • Established
I wonder if by me taking vitamins in middle of meals with a little water hurts anything.

orangerain

Awards
The idea behind this is that the water dilutes your stomach acid concentration thus slowing down the breakdown process of protein and other nutrients.
I heard that from one of the talks on nutrition I attended. They suggested either drinking water before the meal or 30 minutes after your meal. Also, they don't recommend drinking cold water. I forgot why, though.

zodiiac523

zodiiac523

Awards
  • Established
I heard that from one of the talks on nutrition I attended. They suggested either drinking water before the meal or 30 minutes after your meal. Also, they don't recommend drinking cold water. I forgot why, though.
This is what i do, however never heard of cold water thing though.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
I drink with meals. It's either drink with meals, for me, or risk choking to death without. I have issues swallowing food so I must drink period, no question.

zodiiac523

zodiiac523

Awards
  • Established
I drink with meals. It's either drink with meals, for me, or risk choking to death without. I have issues swallowing food so I must drink period, no question.
only time i have trouble is with breakfast, because its by far my biggest meal, and the oatmeal gets pretty thick sometimes.. and its hard as hell for me to take any pill without water.

Jordinator

Awards
  • Established
Also, they don't recommend drinking cold water. I forgot why, though.
Imagine dietary fat like that you cook off of ground beef or bacon. Now imagine that fat when it cools down to room temp and solidifies. Now imagine that fat in your body, and you drink cold water it cools down your inner temp and hardens the fat. That was the reason I got. Not sure how accurate it is. :dunno: